Giant TCR Elite 1 Vs Liespeed Hyperion

Sgtearl

Guest
Help! I am a middle-age male with lower back probs, and need a slightly more relaxed (upright) ride
position, but do not want to go to a cross bike.

I do 50-80 mile days ... sometime week long rides.

The Giant TCR Elite 1 (2003) specifies a more relaxed position in their data, and the visual of the
Hyperion also seems a slightly more relaxed position. They seem to offer similar equipment and
technology. Anyone have any strong feelings about one versus the other? I have not owned either
brands previously. Litespeed USA made Vs Ginat Taiwan made?!?

Also, how about the combination carbon stays and aluminum frames? How should this technology
hold up?!?!

Thanks in adavnce for your input!!

All Litespeed's aluminun bikes are made in Taiwan as far as I know. Chances are, they probably cames
from the same factory that put out the Giant's.

sgtearl at [email protected] wrote on 1/6/03 12:59 PM:

> Help! I am a middle-age male with lower back probs, and need a slightly more relaxed (upright)
> ride position, but do not want to go to a cross bike.
>
> I do 50-80 mile days ... sometime week long rides.
>
> The Giant TCR Elite 1 (2003) specifies a more relaxed position in their data, and the visual of
> the Hyperion also seems a slightly more relaxed position. They seem to offer similar equipment and
> technology. Anyone have any strong feelings about one versus the other? I have not owned either
> brands previously. Litespeed USA made Vs Ginat Taiwan made?!?
>
> Also, how about the combination carbon stays and aluminum frames? How should this technology
> hold up?!?!
>
> Thanks in adavnce for your input!!

1) It would help to know what you are riding now, so that we know what is _causing_ those problems.

1.1) 50-80 mile days? week long rides? Touring? Race training?

2) Have you spent the money to get your fit analyzed at a competent LBS? This would help you to know
if a reach of "X" is too long, too short, etc...

3) I'm not sure I'd be in a rush to aluminum/carbon, if what you are looking for is a bike that
would hold up and not beat you up. I'd probably look at some steel frames that are designed for a
less aggressive position. Standard quill stems will give you more adjustability (without
continually buying new stems) for height adjustments. Also, raising the handlebar effectively
brings it closer.

Rivendell comes immediately to mind, since that's what they preach, fitwise, but there are
definitely others.

[email protected] (sgtearl) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Help! I am a middle-age male with lower back probs, and need a slightly more relaxed (upright)
> ride position, but do not want to go to a cross bike.
>
> I do 50-80 mile days ... sometime week long rides.
>
> The Giant TCR Elite 1 (2003) specifies a more relaxed position in their data, and the visual of
> the Hyperion also seems a slightly more relaxed position. They seem to offer similar equipment and
> technology. Anyone have any strong feelings about one versus the other? I have not owned either
> brands previously. Litespeed USA made Vs Ginat Taiwan made?!?
>
> Also, how about the combination carbon stays and aluminum frames? How should this technology
> hold up?!?!
>
> Thanks in adavnce for your input!!

Start with a comprehensive anotomic bike fitting with a well trained fit expert that knows a bit
about the physiology of aches and pains, then go with what that tells you. A standard off the rack
bike may work, or you may benefit from a custom frame ( don't freak out, they ain't as expensive as
you think ). Aluminum front / carbon rear may make for a sexy racing frame, but IMO not the best for
overall ride comfort and long term durability. I'd stick to all steel or all Ti for comfortable,
durable and efficient ride. --Jim

Sarge, Are you going to the gym and exercising? By observation, I believe that many folks' back
problems are "whole body" problems. Resistance training could help you feel good while riding the
same old bike.

The older we get, the more we need to keep the whole body tuned up.