Giro d'Italia

jhuskey said:
You may be confusing Ferdy Kubler 1950 with Hogo Koblet 1951 or maybe I ma confused. :confused:

You're correct : he is getting both names confused, as you correctly point out, JH.

limerickman said:
No.
You're mistaken.

You're getting Ferdi Kubler confused with Hugo Kolbet

It's an easy mistake to make.
Well, this is what happens when I rely upon you old grizzled veterans of cycling for lessons on the grand history of the sport. I presumed the "pedaller of charm" was Kubler, because that's what you said on post #197 of this thread a few weeks ago:

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t-341502-15-14.html

Your quote:

You're also correct to state that to some members here that the references to the Pedaller of Charm's (Kubler) cadence would mean nothing.
Now come to find out it was Koblet, not Kubler. Gee, things would be a lot simpler if we all just assumed cycling started in 1999. ;)

limerickman said:
fair points...........but in re-reading the majority of the contributions to these race threads, it's evident that not only do the majority of contributors not know about cycling tactics, cycle racing technique or cycling history, they also don't wish to be reminded that this sport of ours existed long before 1999.
Well, I take a bit of personal offense at this, so maybe a bristle a little, but I also think it is factually wrong, especially with respect to "1999," partially with respect to "tactics." Probably correct with respect to history. Technique, separate from tactics, I'm not sure, unless you mean pedaling style.

Quite frankly, I think that some long-standing antagonisms cloud the perspective, to the point where it seems that anyone who supports DC runs the risk of being lumped in with musette or what some perceive musette to be or what she actually is or whatever.

Mandatory DC/LA content: he won a few races before 1999, including the world title!

Just kidding! Just kidding! Didn't have to irrelevantly insert "LA" into the discussion, just a joke! Don't lump me in with the historically ignorant, noooooooooo, I'm merely weak, not clueless, with respect to cycling history.

rejobako said:
Well, this is what happens when I rely upon you old grizzled veterans of cycling for lessons on the grand history of the sport. I presumed the "pedaller of charm" was Kubler, because that's what you said on post #197 of this thread a few weeks ago:

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t-341502-15-14.html

Your quote:

Now come to find out it was Koblet, not Kubler. Gee, things would be a lot simpler if we all just assumed cycling started in 1999. ;)

.......as I said less than an hour ago, it's easy to confuse Kubler with Koblet!

but at least you brought this error to my attention - and fair play to you, you're prepared to consider and read about the history of the sport even if it's only based on an old grizzled geaser like me!

limerickman said:
.......as I said less than an hour ago, it's easy to confuse Kubler with Koblet!

but at least you brought this error to my attention - and fair play to you, you're prepared to consider and read about the history of the sport even if it's only based on an old grizzled geaser like me!
In all honesty, I do appreciate the efforts of you and others to give us relative thumbsuckers (not wheelsuckers, but thumbsuckers) some historical perspective from time to time. In the meantime, the sparring is fun too.

I agree with your assessment completely. All three are very good climbers. Basso has more in common with Indurain, neither getting off the saddle too much. Armstrong at his best could stay off the saddle and had more of a “scatta” as the Italians say. Of course Basso may not have reached his career peak, and I see him more off the saddle so far this year than in recent years.

And I can’t help but say that though we have seen many in the style of the progressive power climber, we may never see again the pedalations and repeated progressions bursting off the saddle of the mythical one.

limerickman said:
You didn't see the Giro.
You didn't see Basso riding the Giro.

Basso's position on the bike, his tempo, his tactcial riding in the mountains was closer to Indurain, than Armstrong.
I said it earlier.
But others also remarked on it.

Eurosport commented on this fact throughout - Stage 20 Sean Kelly said and I quote "his style and position is that of Indurain. Basso's climbing looks very smooth. There are no acclerations, he's climbing in the way Miguel used to".

Kelly's always call it right. I'll send you the tape if you don't believe me.

This is going to make me sick. From TD's website, a "statement" re the Giro includes the following:

"My race became even more difficult when I came down with a fever and the flu on stage 12. I fought through this still riding for Savo on the climbs ... Racing 6 hrs. everyday is hard work and trying to overcome the flu with your heart rate at 170 all day is really hard work. Every night I would go to bed with a cold sweat and wake up the next morning ready to fight another day weak as a kitten. My health really took a turn for the worst in stage 16 as a sinus infection set in along with my fever because of my weakening immune system... Full of medicine and antibiotics I was really weak. I rode stage 17 in the freezing rain and that night bronchitis joined to make a trio of forces against me. Seeing the end of the race near, I had a lot of motivation and wanted to show I could fight both the incredibly hard race and the family of critters living inside of me. Stage 19 was the end for me. My bronchitis had cleared up, and so had my sinuses, but this virus was worse then ever. From the beginning my body was shutting down as my immune system needed more energy to fight this thing.... That night I became the most ill I have ever become as I had no more energy left to fight this virus off. The worst fever ever hit me and my body shut down completely. I could not move... I was no longer upset that I had been very sick the last week of the Giro, more I was solely focused on getting well.... Before all of this happened I was 5th overall and very strong. I did not get sick because I was weak and struggling. Sometimes this happens."

Bottom line is he couldn't finish the Giro AGAIN, and he got dropped on all sorts of climbs that he thought he would excel in. :D

Well, it is rather unusual that a person has THE FLU + VIRUS + BRONCHITIS, all sorts of "critters" inside him at the same time. How coincidental that that happened to be just as the Giro was getting to the more difficult mountain stages where TD was faltering.

musette said:
Well, it is rather unusual that a person has THE FLU + VIRUS + BRONCHITIS, all sorts of "critters" inside him at the same time. How coincidental that that happened to be just as the Giro was getting to the more difficult mountain stages where TD was faltering.
I think TD is a nice guy where some people are/where putting too much pressure on. He is a good rider, but not the big champion Disco is looking for, but that's not his fault.

I don't think I've ever seen a photo which has shown just how gaunt the pros can be.

giro06st22-babybasso.jpg

musette said:
Well, it is rather unusual that a person has THE FLU + VIRUS + BRONCHITIS, all sorts of "critters" inside him at the same time.
The FLU is a VIRUS that can cause symptoms that can be hard to differentiate from BRONCHITIS. Probably only one critter involved.

El Loto said:
I don't think I've ever seen a photo which has shown just how gaunt the pros can be.
It's pretty nuts. A lot of the guys during the last week of a GT look like they have been in a war, starved and beaten around.

It's got to be one of the toughest pro sports there is. They certainly earn their money IMO.

michael rasmussen always looks like a POW no matter what time of the year it is....

Rhubarb said:
It's pretty nuts. A lot of the guys during the last week of a GT look like they have been in a war, starved and beaten around.

It's got to be one of the toughest pro sports there is. They certainly earn their money IMO.

whiteboytrash said:
michael rasmussen always looks like a POW no matter what time of the year it is....

Even the ES commentators were suggesting the MR was losing too much weight as the 05 TDF progressed.

He is too thin.

I wonder if cyclists use methods to lose weight, like laxatives, appetite suppressants and things like that? Do some of them use metabolism-quickening products, and are they allowed to use all of these things?