Going Downhill

The videos are really educational, I loved them. I like the way this narrator was giving tips for descending.
However, it is pretty scary to cycle downhill anyway, especially if the roads are not asphalt but rather a bumpy old sand roads. Use brakes as much as possible and be careful. I tried to be a hero once, using a shortcut from the mountain (not wanting to waste my time using the asphalt road), and I paid a dire consequence. It is better to be safe than sorry.

I think at one time or another we've all decided to take the shorter, more dangerous route thinking we can handle it, and it's not till we're half way down we realise how foolish we've been!

On more than one occasion I've ended up losing it as I've taken the crazy route instead of the more sensible option. It all adds to the fun though...I guess?!

Reactions: mayasupernova
There are really few downhills on my daily commute to take advantage of since it is dangerous to gather too much speed in the city area. If I wanted to ride a long downhills then I would ride in the country roads.

The only real advice I can offer is keep doing your downhills and allow yourself to adjust to the feel of a new bike. Maybe take some time to get used to less extreme inclines and once you're feeling more comfortable, work your way up to steeper rides.

Personally, I just use the brakes more when going down dangerous downhills. Naturally, I press on them lightly so as not to abruptly fly off my bike when I'm on a sharp decline. I'd also be incredibly scared riding down a hill at an unusually high speed. It's always best to take some control of the situation and ride downhill at a slower speed.