Gone Rohloff for the weekend

Russell Lang said:
Does it make nasty sounding noises if you change gears while pushing? Mine sounds like it would shorten the life of some teeth in the gear hub.

Nope.. mine doesn't do that... what've you been doing to yours?? :p

Actually, you've probably put more kms on your Blade 8 than I have on mine... been riding the other bike a bit more lately.... hard to say how many km I've done on it though b/c I drowned my computer and haven't bothered to replace it...

Snuffy wrote:

> Nope.. mine doesn't do that... what've you been doing to yours?? :p

Mine just doesn't shift if I'm pushing too hard. Once I ease up the pressure, it then shifts.

I just replaced the BB and cranks on mine. The cheap BB was starting to make horrid clunking noises, and the cranks don't have a replaceable chainwheel, so rather than find a replacement BB, I just bought a set of Campy Mirage cranks with matching BB from Probikekit.

The chainline is perfect with the inner chainwheel on the outside position, and a little shaved off the chainwheel mounting bolts so that it would all go together. The cranks are even black. The 39 tooth chainwheel is one tooth bigger than the original (and steel). When that wears out I might try a TA 1/8" one.

Cheers,

Suzy (dislikes BBs with plastic cups)

suzyj wrote:

> Mine just doesn't shift if I'm pushing too hard. Once I ease up the
> pressure, it then shifts.

That possibly means the gears have positive mesh, a good thing.

> Suzy (dislikes BBs with plastic cups)

Theo (dislikes BBs and wheel bearings with cups)

suzyj said:
Mine just doesn't shift if I'm pushing too hard. Once I ease up the pressure, it then shifts.

Yeah, that's what mine does. I wonder what GG has done to his...

Although, it does make a slight clicking sound sometimes when shifting between two specific gears (3 & 4 I think) if I've got the power on. Doesn't sound like anything's about to blow up though.

Interesting... been thinking about changing the crankset. The 38T isn't quite right for my commute. I find myself in 5 to 7 most of the time, top speeding in 8 (when I burn past Ghostgum's place) and never getting below 3 on the climbs. It's not too bad, but I reckon a 42 would probably be just right. Haven't done the maths yet though.

Theo Bekkers wrote:

> suzyj wrote:
>
>> Mine just doesn't shift if I'm pushing too hard. Once I ease
>> up the pressure, it then shifts.

> That possibly means the gears have positive mesh, a good
> thing.

The gears themselves are typically constant mesh (at least I
don't know of any that aren't). Shifting is achieved by
sliding the one-way ratchet sleeve assemblies which carry sets
of gears (often gears within gears).

John

John Henderson wrote:
> Theo Bekkers wrote:
>
>> suzyj wrote:
>>
>>> Mine just doesn't shift if I'm pushing too hard. Once I ease
>>> up the pressure, it then shifts.

>> That possibly means the gears have positive mesh, a good
>> thing.

> The gears themselves are typically constant mesh (at least I
> don't know of any that aren't). Shifting is achieved by
> sliding the one-way ratchet sleeve assemblies which carry sets
> of gears (often gears within gears).

I expected it to be constant mesh and was going to say the dogs have
positive mesh, but thought that might confuse some people. :)

Theo

Have a look at www.velosmith.com.au

CC

cogcontrol wrote:

> Random Data Wrote:
>> On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 07:45:31 +1000, John Henderson wrote:
>>
>> > Does anyone know if a Rohloff setup is available here in
>> > Australia fitted to an MTB or hybrid?

>> Have a look at www.velosmith.com.au

Thanks. The "Jota" is very close to what I'm looking for. If
it wasn't for those vertical dropouts...

John

John Henderson wrote:
> cogcontrol wrote:
>

>>Random Data Wrote:

>>>Have a look at www.velosmith.com.au

> Thanks. The "Jota" is very close to what I'm looking for. If
> it wasn't for those vertical dropouts...
>
> John

I used to drool over a Larveda Jota at Herb Watsons in Vic park. Used to
get the Duke tuned there.

http://www.thecreeper.net/myjota.htm

Friday

John Henderson wrote:
> cogcontrol wrote:
>

>>Random Data Wrote:

>>>Have a look at www.velosmith.com.au

> Thanks. The "Jota" is very close to what I'm looking for. If
> it wasn't for those vertical dropouts...
>
> John

Pardon my ignorance but what is wrong with vertical dropouts? I thought
they were the norm with Rohloff?

--
Remove norubbish to reply

Jack Russell wrote:

> Pardon my ignorance but what is wrong with vertical dropouts?
> I thought they were the norm with Rohloff?

They require a chain tensioner. That's more weight, more to go
wrong, and lots more friction because they gunk up easily and
often.

I'd rather adjust the chain tension periodically via horizontal
dropouts. In fact, on my existing SRAM/Sachs hub I use the
need for adjustment tell me it's time to measure, clean and
relube the chain.

John

John Henderson wrote:
> Jack Russell wrote:
>

>>Pardon my ignorance but what is wrong with vertical dropouts?
>>I thought they were the norm with Rohloff?

> They require a chain tensioner. That's more weight, more to go
> wrong, and lots more friction because they gunk up easily and
> often.
>
> I'd rather adjust the chain tension periodically via horizontal
> dropouts. In fact, on my existing SRAM/Sachs hub I use the
> need for adjustment tell me it's time to measure, clean and
> relube the chain.
>
> John

No, I think you will find the Velosmith and certainly the SJS Raven have
a concentric bottom bracket which is used to adjust the chain tension.
Certainly I agree about the tensioner, no point in having a hub gear if
you still have something hanging down waiting to be broken off!
What do you use for adjusting, the old fashioned (not that there is
anything wrong with that) screw adjusters?

Jack

--
Remove norubbish to reply

"John Henderson" wrote:
> Jack Russell wrote:
>
>> Pardon my ignorance but what is wrong with vertical dropouts?
>> I thought they were the norm with Rohloff?

> They require a chain tensioner. That's more weight, more to go
> wrong, and lots more friction because they gunk up easily and
> often.
>
> I'd rather adjust the chain tension periodically via horizontal
> dropouts. In fact, on my existing SRAM/Sachs hub I use the
> need for adjustment tell me it's time to measure, clean and
> relube the chain.

Check that link for the Jota out again then. It has *no chain tensioner*,
just an oversize or elliptical bottom bracket. This serves to tension your
chain securely, while at the same time you more can easily remove and
install your rear wheel compared to using horizontal dropouts. Rohloff make
a special version of their hub with a special torque fitting that slots into
the dropout also, removing the need for a big clunky torque arm bolted to
your chainstay. Velosmith use this design, as do St John Street Cycles
(Thorn) in the UK.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Jack Russell wrote:

> No, I think you will find the Velosmith and certainly the SJS
> Raven have a concentric bottom bracket which is used to adjust
> the chain tension. Certainly I agree about the tensioner, no
> point in having a hub gear if you still have something hanging
> down waiting to be broken off! What do you use for adjusting,
> the old fashioned (not that there is anything wrong with that)
> screw adjusters?

Interesting, thanks Jack and Peter.

John

Peter Signorini wrote:

> Check that link for the Jota out again then. It has *no chain
> tensioner*, just an oversize or elliptical bottom bracket.
> This serves to tension your chain securely, while at the same
> time you more can easily remove and install your rear wheel
> compared to using horizontal dropouts. Rohloff make a special
> version of their hub with a special torque fitting that slots
> into the dropout also, removing the need for a big clunky
> torque arm bolted to your chainstay. Velosmith use this
> design, as do St John Street Cycles (Thorn) in the UK.

OK, I remember reading somewhere about a Rohloff chain
tensioner, and assumed that was the only solution for vertical
dropouts. I found at least one reference to it at:
http://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/html/rohloff.shtml although
that site goes on to mention the alternative of the eccentric
bottom bracket.

Thanks again.

John

Have look the Velosmith Gallery page and it shows the way of running Rohloff, the sliding rear dropouts. Possibly bit lighter than the eccentric bottom bracket but more expesive.

CC

cogcontrol wrote:

> Have look the Velosmith Gallery page and it shows the way of
> running Rohloff, the sliding rear dropouts. Possibly bit
> lighter than the eccentric bottom bracket but more expesive.

Thanks - I've gone from not enough choice to too much.

John

John Henderson wrote:
> Peter Signorini wrote:
>

>>Check that link for the Jota out again then. It has *no chain
>>tensioner*, just an oversize or elliptical bottom bracket.
>>This serves to tension your chain securely, while at the same
>>time you more can easily remove and install your rear wheel
>>compared to using horizontal dropouts. Rohloff make a special
>>version of their hub with a special torque fitting that slots
>>into the dropout also, removing the need for a big clunky
>>torque arm bolted to your chainstay. Velosmith use this
>>design, as do St John Street Cycles (Thorn) in the UK.

> OK, I remember reading somewhere about a Rohloff chain
> tensioner, and assumed that was the only solution for vertical
> dropouts. I found at least one reference to it at:
> http://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/html/rohloff.shtml although
> that site goes on to mention the alternative of the eccentric
> bottom bracket.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> John

By the way I asked SJS what it would cost to ship a Raven to Australia.
They said about 210 pounds which of course should be more than offset by
not having to pay UK VAT (GST). But then you will have to pay Australian
duty and taxes I guess. I have bought both my Thorn's over there, ridden
them through Europe then brought hem home. Both times Aussie customs
have been kind to me on the basis the bike was used they have given
"discounted tax"

--
Remove norubbish to reply