Good 28 hole rims?

Dave Smith

Guest
My Serotta was set up years ago with some of the first Mavic
SUP rims on the market. After many thousands of miles, they
finally need to be replaced. I was going to go with Mavic
Open Pro, but they seem only to come in 32 and 36 hole. I
have a 28 hole front and 32 hole rear. I'd like to keep the
original Dura-Ace hubs if I can. Any opinions on my options
for good rims?

I'm a fairly strong recreational rider, 5'10", 165# and ride
mainly on good roads.

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 21:58:19 -0700, Dave Smith <[email protected]>
wrote:

>My Serotta was set up years ago with some of the first
>Mavic SUP rims on the market. After many thousands of
>miles, they finally need to be replaced. I was going to go
>with Mavic Open Pro, but they seem only to come in 32 and
>36 hole. I have a 28 hole front and 32 hole rear. I'd like
>to keep the original Dura-Ace hubs if I can. Any opinions
>on my options for good rims?
>
>I'm a fairly strong recreational rider, 5'10", 165# and
>ride mainly on good roads.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=36848253-
19

"Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My Serotta was set up years ago with some of the first
> Mavic SUP rims on the market. After many thousands of
> miles, they finally need to be replaced. I was going to go
> with Mavic Open Pro, but they seem only to come in 32 and
> 36 hole. I have a 28 hole front and 32 hole rear. I'd like
> to keep the original Dura-Ace hubs if I can. Any opinions
> on my options for good rims?
>
> I'm a fairly strong recreational rider, 5'10", 165# and
> ride mainly on good roads.

Try Sun Venus = semi aero (25mm deep), medium light weight
(440g), low cost , 24/28/32/6 hole choice.

Bruce

"Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote:

> My Serotta was set up years ago with some of the first
> Mavic SUP rims on the market. After many thousands of
> miles, they finally need to be replaced. I was going to go
> with Mavic Open Pro, but they seem only to come in 32 and
> 36 hole. I have a 28 hole front and 32 hole rear.

The Mavic website lists the Open Pro in 28h, though
only in black.

James Thomson

Bruce Frech wrote:

> Try Sun Venus = semi aero (25mm deep), medium light weight
> (440g), low cost

Only recently a friend complained about them. Eyelets pulled
after one year of use. I don't know about the spoke count,
but he is not heavyweight (75-80kg maybe), no racing.

Patrick

sallydog-<< After many thousands of miles, they finally need
to be replaced. I was going to go with Mavic Open Pro, but
they seem only to come in 32 and 36 hole. I have a 28 hole
front and 32 hole rear. >><BR><BR>

Not so, OpenPros come in 28h.

Also look at Velocity, Razor, Aerohead, Fusion.

Boulder, CO, 80302
costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Dave Smith <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> My Serotta was set up years ago with some of the first
> Mavic SUP rims on the market. After many thousands of
> miles, they finally need to be replaced. I was going to go
> with Mavic Open Pro, but they seem only to come in 32 and
> 36 hole. I have a 28 hole front and 32 hole rear. I'd like
> to keep the original Dura-Ace hubs if I can. Any opinions
> on my options for good rims?
>
> I'm a fairly strong recreational rider, 5'10", 165# and
> ride mainly on good roads.

Hi, Velocity rims come in 28 hole. Depending on needs and
personal taste, either the Aeroheads[OC on rear], DeepV, or
Fusion. I weigh 157lbs and ride on fair to good roads, with
a few bad thrown in. I just had Peter at Vecchio's build me
a set with the Aeroheads, DA hubs, 28h front, and 32h rear.
I choose the Velocity's based on their good rep on this
forum, light weight, and cool appearance. Take a look:
http://www.velocityusa.com/

Life is Good! Jeff

"Patrick Hansmeier" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bruce Frech wrote:
>
> > Try Sun Venus = semi aero (25mm deep), medium light
> > weight (440g), low
cost

> Only recently a friend complained about them. Eyelets
> pulled after one year of use. I don't know about the
> spoke count, but he is not heavyweight (75-80kg maybe),
> no racing.
>
> Patrick

My Sun Venus rims do not have eyelets. Perhaps the spoke was
pulling through the rim? Mine show no such effects.

How many miles is a year? What was the spoke tension?

Bruce

"Satis putant vitio arare; etiam virtutibus carent." - Quintilian
wrote:

>My Serotta was set up years ago with some of the first
>Mavic SUP rims on the market. After many thousands of
>miles, they finally need to be replaced. I was going to go
>with Mavic Open Pro, but they seem only to come in 32 and
>36 hole. I have a 28 hole front and 32 hole rear. I'd like
>to keep the original Dura-Ace hubs if I can. Any opinions
>on my options for good rims?
>
>I'm a fairly strong recreational rider, 5'10", 165# and
>ride mainly on good roads.

I've strung up some of the DT RR 1.1 rims with pleasing
results. The model is too new to have a record of long-term
durability, but my initial impressions are favorable.
tswiss.com/index.asp?fuseaction=rims.bikedetail&id=8>

-------------------------------
John Dacey Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
http://www.businesscycles.com Since 1983 Our catalog of
track equipment: online since 1996

Bruce Frech wrote:

> My Sun Venus rims do not have eyelets. Perhaps the spoke
> was pulling through the rim? Mine show no such effects.

Checked his comment, he was talking of eyelets.

> How many miles is a year? What was the spoke tension?

As far as I know him, his wheels should have seen between
3000 and 5000km. I can't provide any other information than
this, unfortunately.

Patrick