Good 28 hole rims?

Dave Smith

Guest
My Serotta was set up years ago with some of the first Mavic SUP rims
on the market. After many thousands of miles, they finally need to be
replaced. I was going to go with Mavic Open Pro, but they seem only
to come in 32 and 36 hole. I have a 28 hole front and 32 hole rear.
I'd like to keep the original Dura-Ace hubs if I can. Any opinions on
my options for good rims?

I'm a fairly strong recreational rider, 5'10", 165# and ride mainly on
good roads.

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 21:58:19 -0700, Dave Smith <[email protected]>
wrote:

>My Serotta was set up years ago with some of the first Mavic SUP rims
>on the market. After many thousands of miles, they finally need to be
>replaced. I was going to go with Mavic Open Pro, but they seem only
>to come in 32 and 36 hole. I have a 28 hole front and 32 hole rear.
>I'd like to keep the original Dura-Ace hubs if I can. Any opinions on
>my options for good rims?
>
>I'm a fairly strong recreational rider, 5'10", 165# and ride mainly on
>good roads.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3684825319

"Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My Serotta was set up years ago with some of the first Mavic SUP rims
> on the market. After many thousands of miles, they finally need to be
> replaced. I was going to go with Mavic Open Pro, but they seem only
> to come in 32 and 36 hole. I have a 28 hole front and 32 hole rear.
> I'd like to keep the original Dura-Ace hubs if I can. Any opinions on
> my options for good rims?
>
> I'm a fairly strong recreational rider, 5'10", 165# and ride mainly on
> good roads.

Try Sun Venus = semi aero (25mm deep), medium light weight (440g), low cost
, 24/28/32/6 hole choice.

Bruce

"Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote:

> My Serotta was set up years ago with some of the first Mavic
> SUP rims on the market. After many thousands of miles, they
> finally need to be replaced. I was going to go with Mavic Open
> Pro, but they seem only to come in 32 and 36 hole. I have a
> 28 hole front and 32 hole rear.

The Mavic website lists the Open Pro in 28h, though only in black.

James Thomson

Bruce Frech wrote:

> Try Sun Venus = semi aero (25mm deep), medium light weight (440g), low cost

Only recently a friend complained about them. Eyelets pulled after one
year of use. I don't know about the spoke count, but he is not
heavyweight (75-80kg maybe), no racing.

Patrick

sallydog-<< After many thousands of miles, they finally need to be
replaced. I was going to go with Mavic Open Pro, but they seem only
to come in 32 and 36 hole. I have a 28 hole front and 32 hole rear. >><BR><BR>

Not so, OpenPros come in 28h.

Also look at Velocity, Razor, Aerohead, Fusion.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Dave Smith <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> My Serotta was set up years ago with some of the first Mavic SUP rims
> on the market. After many thousands of miles, they finally need to be
> replaced. I was going to go with Mavic Open Pro, but they seem only
> to come in 32 and 36 hole. I have a 28 hole front and 32 hole rear.
> I'd like to keep the original Dura-Ace hubs if I can. Any opinions on
> my options for good rims?
>
> I'm a fairly strong recreational rider, 5'10", 165# and ride mainly on
> good roads.

Hi, Velocity rims come in 28 hole. Depending on needs and personal
taste, either the Aeroheads[OC on rear], DeepV, or Fusion. I weigh
157lbs and ride on fair to good roads, with a few bad thrown in. I
just had Peter at Vecchio's build me a set with the Aeroheads, DA
hubs, 28h front, and 32h rear. I choose the Velocity's based on their
good rep on this forum, light weight, and cool appearance. Take a
look:
http://www.velocityusa.com/

Life is Good!
Jeff

"Patrick Hansmeier" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bruce Frech wrote:
>
> > Try Sun Venus = semi aero (25mm deep), medium light weight (440g), low

cost

> Only recently a friend complained about them. Eyelets pulled after one
> year of use. I don't know about the spoke count, but he is not
> heavyweight (75-80kg maybe), no racing.
>
> Patrick

My Sun Venus rims do not have eyelets. Perhaps the spoke was pulling
through the rim? Mine show no such effects.

How many miles is a year? What was the spoke tension?

Bruce

"Satis putant vitio arare; etiam virtutibus carent." - Quintilian
wrote:

>My Serotta was set up years ago with some of the first Mavic SUP rims
>on the market. After many thousands of miles, they finally need to be
>replaced. I was going to go with Mavic Open Pro, but they seem only
>to come in 32 and 36 hole. I have a 28 hole front and 32 hole rear.
>I'd like to keep the original Dura-Ace hubs if I can. Any opinions on
>my options for good rims?
>
>I'm a fairly strong recreational rider, 5'10", 165# and ride mainly on
>good roads.

I've strung up some of the DT RR 1.1 rims with pleasing results. The
model is too new to have a record of long-term durability, but my
initial impressions are favorable. Options: 28, 32 or 36 holes, silver
or black.
<http://www.dtswiss.com/index.asp?fuseaction=rims.bikedetail&id=8>

-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
http://www.businesscycles.com
Since 1983
Our catalog of track equipment: online since 1996

Bruce Frech wrote:

> My Sun Venus rims do not have eyelets. Perhaps the spoke was pulling
> through the rim? Mine show no such effects.

Checked his comment, he was talking of eyelets.

> How many miles is a year? What was the spoke tension?

As far as I know him, his wheels should have seen between 3000 and
5000km. I can't provide any other information than this, unfortunately.

Patrick