Grandmother who hit cyclists loses licence

On Dec 20, 7:48 pm, G-S <[email protected]> wrote:
> Is W.A really that bad for rural town transport Theo or is it just your
> area?

Yes, it really is that bad. As a general rule you get school buses and
probably nothing else. And I think Theo isn't really rural, he is on
the edge of the metropolitan expansion.

Rural Victoria is different from anywhere else in Australia. Traveling
around the place in 2000 I was struct by the high and relatively even
density of the population. I think you can thank the Murray, which
encouraged the formation of significant towns right from the earliest
days of settlement.

G-S wrote:

> Is W.A really that bad for rural town transport Theo or is it just your
> area?

It isn't just rural WA. Vic Rural sounds like it gets phenominal service
compared to rural areas elsewhere in australia that I have visited.
Probably just a sign of population density and relative compactness of
the state.

OTOH, these people buy land at a premium to go and live in these areas,
rural sub-divisions, so they can not complain, although around here,
quiet a few do. Obviously money doesn't buy intelligence or life awareness.

G-S wrote:
> Theo Bekkers wrote:

>> Really, I live in a semi-rural estate of 600 x 2-hectare blocks,
>> most of which now have houses on them. The "Transport
>> Infrastructure" is a 5 metre wide strip of bitumen. We do have a
>> school bus for the kids. No vehicle, you can't live there.

> There is a middle ground between your 2 extremes :)
>
> I live in a suburb of a smallish country town (8000) and there are 5
> bus services daily from here to the local train station and back
> (which is 5kms... so easy cycling distance and do-able for walking if
> fit).
> That applies to every hamlet or town in the shire.
>
> That station has 1 hourly trains running both to the CBD (Melbourne
> 1:15) and Bendigo (20m).

Wow! I spent my school years in a smallish country town in WA of 6000
people. Apart from school buses the only transport for hire was the one, yes
ONE, taxi. Now they have two taxis, and a Care and Share bus for the
pensioners.

> Is W.A really that bad for rural town transport Theo or is it just
> your area?

My current area is worse, but it is my choice to live here.

Theo

Terryc wrote:
> G-S wrote:
>
>> Is W.A really that bad for rural town transport Theo or is it just
>> your area?

> It isn't just rural WA. Vic Rural sounds like it gets phenominal
> service compared to rural areas elsewhere in australia that I have
> visited. Probably just a sign of population density and relative
> compactness of the state.
>
> OTOH, these people buy land at a premium to go and live in these
> areas, rural sub-divisions, so they can not complain, although around
> here, quiet a few do. Obviously money doesn't buy intelligence or life
> awareness.

Hehehe. Look Terry, I'm really sorry you are angry because you live in a
shoebox. I chose to live where I do. It is peaceful, has a good sense of
community, far and awy much better than any of my friends i the big smoke,
and I don't have to lock myself in at night, or during the day. We have a
small, very small, mini-market ten minutes away for emergencies, and I live
45 minutes from work, 35 minutes from a major metro shopping centre. I have
people working for us who live on a 300 sq metre block and travel longer to
work than I do.

I'm not complaining, though I wonder sometimes why seemingly intelligent
people choose to live in shoe-boxes. When I can no longer drive, I suppose
I'll have to go to a shoe-box, and then to a coffin. But hey, life is
terminal.

Theo

TimC wrote:
> On 2007-12-19, Theo Bekkers wrote

>> Dammit! Only the young are allowed to hoon now. I demand equal
>> rights for old hoons.
>>
>> Would it be OK with you if I see how fast my motorcycle can go if a)
>> the road is in a deserted region and b) there are no cyclists in the
>> way and c) I hide my seniors card.

> And there's no side streets and pedestrians and indeed any sign of
> life, I have no problem with a car driver doing 200kmh.
>
> I don't even experience that much sadness when teenagers kill
> themselves on remote roads as long as it is a single car fatality in
> circumstances where it was highly likely the teenager was doing
> something stupid to be able to reach such an outcome. Bringing
> something on yourself (and willing car occupants), and only yourself,
> is not something I have issues with, car driver, motorcycle rider, or
> bike rider.
>
> But car drivers don't always realise what other life exists and what
> risks they are placing on third parties. I imagine on your
> motorcycle, you probably are introducing less risks on unwilling third
> parties. So go ahead. And flaunt the seniors card.

Cool, thanks for that, but I only got to 190. Are you saying that bike
riders always realise that other life exists, or that bike riders are indeed
a form of life? :)

Theo

On Dec 24, 4:47 pm, "Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Are you saying that bike
> riders always realise that other life exists, or that bike riders are indeed
> a form of life? :)

It's life, Theo, but not as we know it :)

Graeme

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 16:45:01 +0900, Theo Bekkers said (and I quote):

> I'm not complaining, though I wonder sometimes why
> seemingly intelligent people choose to live in shoe-boxes.

I like to live in places where there always lots of people walking the
streets, and where I can walk most places. Those things are far more
important to me than the size of the house/apartment I live in. What
do you use all that space for? I can't think of a need for it.
--
What was I thinking?

Baka Dasai wrote:
> Theo Bekkers said

>> I'm not complaining, though I wonder sometimes why
>> seemingly intelligent people choose to live in shoe-boxes.

> I like to live in places where there always lots of people walking the
> streets, and where I can walk most places. Those things are far more
> important to me than the size of the house/apartment I live in.

I prefer the tranquillity, the security of distance, the clean air, trees, a
garden, a shed to potter about in.

> What do you use all that space for?

I grow trees so you can have air to breathe. :)

> I can't think of a need for it.

Perhaps we should all move to a much smaller planet.

Theo