Is it a matter of when, not if, will you get hit commuting?

I just noticed my terrible typing. Sorry, my keyboard isn't doing too well at the moment

Sorry to read of your troubles.
If you can take not of the bus number / rego, time of day, where etc and phone in to report their bad driving. The managers take a dim view of bad driving:( .
Paul

timmyo said:
I have had numerous near misses with cars and I have only been commuting this year. Most of my near misses have occurred in the CBD of Adelaide. There seem to be a lot of concrete barriers for roadworks that narrow the lanes so much that cars just push you out of their way into the barrier. I also have had problems with drivers using bike lanes to sneak around stopped traffic. I also have to say that the buses here are terrible!!! and there are so many of them. There is no feeling worse than getting squeezed between a moving bus in one lane and a departing bus that you are overtaking. I have been lucky not to have any major collisions with cars where I have got injured but I gave a passenger one hll of a scare when they turned lft in front of me without indicating. I slammed on the brakes and hit their window. I think the passenger was probably more shocked than I was!!

A friend of mine picked up a 'Biker's guide to getting around town' map thingo at a bike shop. Gives you all the nice backstreets.

I've also started riding with the Supreme Cycles group that do a run in the morning from Narrabeen to the City. I never knew how much you can avoid the main roads without adding to your kms. We spend about 2kms max on main roads, 20kms on backroads with no traffic, lights or problems.

It's definitely worth exploring the backroads, and if you can get a map, all the better.