Grrr Availability is a painful thing sometimes

m0rk

Guest
Ok ... on deciding on the Dawes Horizon ... no stock of the 58cm version
- ive tried several places - many from the net, some given by dawes.
Dawes have no stock of this model anymore and will be first thing next
year for new model to arrive .... grrrr!

The alternatives im left with are:-

Raleigh Venture 2005
Ridgeback Horizon

I know personally how raleigh's quality declined over the years ... I
bought a new road bike in my cycling fit days, a raleigh and it was the
rear gear on that bike that shattered as I went up a hill and caused
damage to my knee ... so am put off them somewhat, although I guess a
bad batch of any one component isnt a trend - it was confirmed at the
time the batch of one particular component went out with a material
defect and this effected a recall.

If it was in todays compensation culture id have claimed a fair whack
.... but it was before all that started some 15 years ago ... they
refunded money paid for the bike and paid for my clothing, etc with an
extra four hundred pound thrown in for my trouble. It was the spark that
eventually turned me into super couch potato.

The ridgeback horizon is slightly more than I want to spend - anyone
have any experience of the raleigh venture 2005 ... ?

m0rk wrote:
> Ok ... on deciding on the Dawes Horizon ... no stock of the 58cm version
> - ive tried several places - many from the net, some given by dawes.
> Dawes have no stock of this model anymore and will be first thing next
> year for new model to arrive .... grrrr!

Did you try e-cobr? A friend of mine bought a Horizon from them last
year, but you'll need to ring them to see if they have the size you
want. Details at:
http://www.cobr.co.uk/acatalog/e_cobr_Online_Shop_Horizon_215.html

JimP

in message <[email protected]>, m0rk
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Ok ... on deciding on the Dawes Horizon ... no stock of the 58cm
> version - ive tried several places - many from the net, some given by
> dawes. Dawes have no stock of this model anymore and will be first
> thing next year for new model to arrive .... grrrr!
>
> The alternatives im left with are:-
>
> Raleigh Venture 2005

Avoid.

> Ridgeback Horizon

Don't know.

Look at what Claud Butler and Giant have to offer; both tend to be honest
products at decent value for money.

'Victories are not solutions.'
;; John Hume, Northern Irish politician, on Radio Scotland 1/2/95
;; Nobel Peace Prize laureate 1998; few have deserved it so much

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:27:59 +0100, m0rk <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Ok ... on deciding on the Dawes Horizon ... no stock of the 58cm version
> >- ive tried several places - many from the net, some given by dawes.
> >Dawes have no stock of this model anymore and will be first thing next
> >year for new model to arrive .... grrrr!

> How about this lot:
>
> http://www.cycling2000.co.uk/products/cycles/touring/6
>
> They have the 58cm model listed on the website, although that's not a
> guarantee, worth an email or phone call to enquire?
>
> I've not used them before, they just happen to be located quite near
> to me and have some decent prices.
>
> "Bob"

Bob, your a star ... they have the model in stock, in fact they had 2 -
ive now relieved them of one of them and soon hope to be cycling again.

I tried several other outfits that appeared to have them but didnt.

So, cheers Bob - if ever our paths cross the first round is on me. (in
fact, for rounds to work the first two rounds are on me at which point
the round continues properly!)

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 17:51:16 +0100, m0rk <[email protected]> wrote:

>> http://www.cycling2000.co.uk/products/cycles/touring/6
>>
>> They have the 58cm model listed on the website

>Bob, your a star ... they have the model in stock, in fact they had 2 -
>ive now relieved them of one of them and soon hope to be cycling again.
>
>So, cheers Bob - if ever our paths cross the first round is on me

Hoorah! Glad you found what you were after.

What with all the pints owed this way and that here on the group, if
we ever get a sizeable urc meet together we're all going to be ******
as newts. ;)

Here's to shiny new bikes, and perpetual tail winds. *chink*

"Bob"