Guilty until proven innocent.

Musashi

Guest
The theme throughout sports, in regards to performance enhancing drug
use, is "guilty until proven innocent".

That would be fine if they could prove innocence.

But they can't. No matter how many negative tests a person has
(armstrong, for example) the person cannot be proven innocent so they
are assumed guilty.

It's a fked up system.

Musashi

Musashi <> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> The theme throughout sports, in regards to performance enhancing drug
> use, is "guilty until proven innocent".
>
> That would be fine if they could prove innocence.
>
> But they can't. No matter how many negative tests a person has
> (armstrong, for example) the person cannot be proven innocent so they
> are assumed guilty.
>
> It's a fked up system.
>
> Musashi

There's an old saying that one rotten apple spoils the whole barrel.
In the case of pro sports there are lots and lots of proven rotten
apples. So, the barrel is very spoiled. I tend not to be overly
cynical--except concerning politicians and pro athletes.
so, I agree the system is f' ed up. But look at who f'ed it up.

On 24 Sep 2004 13:03:57 -0700, [email protected] (gds) wrote:

>There's an old saying that one rotten apple spoils the whole barrel.
>In the case of pro sports there are lots and lots of proven rotten
>apples. So, the barrel is very spoiled. I tend not to be overly
>cynical--except concerning politicians and pro athletes.
>so, I agree the system is f' ed up. But look at who f'ed it up.

Some bad apples wouldn't spoil a "innocent until proven guilty"
system. But that's not what we have. It's SUPPOSED to be that way, but
if there is ANY evidence you are certainly assumed to be guilty and
even if there is NO evidece you are suspected guilty.

The system is just on the constant lookout to prove that everyone is
guilty. I think they would love it if everyone tested postitve for
everything.

Musashi

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 19:18:03 -0400, Musashi <> wrote:

>On 24 Sep 2004 13:03:57 -0700, [email protected] (gds) wrote:
>

>>There's an old saying that one rotten apple spoils the whole barrel.
>>In the case of pro sports there are lots and lots of proven rotten
>>apples. So, the barrel is very spoiled. I tend not to be overly
>>cynical--except concerning politicians and pro athletes.
>>so, I agree the system is f' ed up. But look at who f'ed it up.

>Some bad apples wouldn't spoil a "innocent until proven guilty"
>system. But that's not what we have. It's SUPPOSED to be that way, but
>if there is ANY evidence you are certainly assumed to be guilty and
>even if there is NO evidece you are suspected guilty.
>
>The system is just on the constant lookout to prove that everyone is
>guilty. I think they would love it if everyone tested postitve for
>everything.
>
>Musashi

And while I'm at it, I think the system actually perpetuates drug use.
Since everyone is suspected guilty, that leaves the losers of each
race wondering if they lost because of chemicals. ' It surely couldn't
be that I suck more or because I didn't train right! Maybe I should
get on some of that stuff too!'

And the riders then use that as an excuse publicly. Hell, even Lemond
suspects everyone is on it.(have one of his bikes but he's a
knucklehead).

Musashi