Hamilton's pro tour aspirations toast

helmutRoole2

Jul 7, 2006
I was waiting for someone else to post this, but it's taking too long.

Although he may appear at NRC race near you (assumng you live in the states) it seems Hamilton's pro tour aspirations will have to wait for two more years. This year's worlds are also out the window.

From VeloNews.com, which BTW has been scooping CN for a couple months now: http://velonews.com/news/fea/10793.0.html

helmutRoole2 said:
I was waiting for someone else to post this, but it's taking too long.

Although he may appear at NRC race near you (assumng you live in the states) it seems Hamilton's pro tour aspirations will have to wait for two more years. This year's worlds are also out the window.

From VeloNews.com, which BTW has been scooping CN for a couple months now: http://velonews.com/news/fea/10793.0.html

Thank god. There are few people as vile and dishonest as Tyler Hamilton. He has no place in a local NRC race much less the Pro Tour or on the National Team.

Well at least there has been one strong message on the doping issue. Let us see what happens when the dust settles on operation Puerto... :confused:

This is a bit disconcerting...

Despite his doping violation dating to Sept. 2004, sources said Hamilton's lengthy and controversial appeal - which stretched into 2006 - triggers strict anti-doping rules that are part of the ProTour Ethics code introduced in Jan. 2005.

In the case of Hamilton - a bald faced liar - probably not a bad thing.

However, this essentially says that riders will be penalized for appealing a decision.

Given the fact that the UCI has left massive loopholes in it's anti doping efforts, and that Pound was so obsessed with nailing a retired champion that he completely missed all of the current riders that were blood doping, I have trouble with the concept of penalizing someone for asking for a second opinion, especially if it comes from such fair, unbiased, and competent organizations as the UCI and WADA.

JohnO said:
This is a bit disconcerting...

"Despite his doping violation dating to Sept. 2004, sources said Hamilton's lengthy and controversial appeal - which stretched into 2006 - triggers strict anti-doping rules that are part of the ProTour Ethics code introduced in Jan. 2005."

In the case of Hamilton - a bald faced liar - probably not a bad thing.

However, this essentially says that riders will be penalized for appealing a decision.

Given the fact that the UCI has left massive loopholes in it's anti doping efforts, and that Pound was so obsessed with nailing a retired champion that he completely missed all of the current riders that were blood doping, I have trouble with the concept of penalizing someone for asking for a second opinion, especially if it comes from such fair, unbiased, and competent organizations as the UCI and WADA.
Yeah, but isn't that a one-time deal? I mean, now everyone falls under the Pro Tour umbrella. They're not extending his penalty, they're just saying that the case was still unresolved when the PT charter kicked in and so he gets the latest and greatest treatment. It's like they're saying, "We want to give you all the benefits of the Pro Tour, but with those benefits come some drawbacks. In your case, a hefty two-year drawback."

In my mind, he kinda ****ed himself.:)

It seems to me he could sue. One of the fundamental cornerstones of justice is that you are subject to penalties that are in place at the time you commit the crime. The application of the four year ban is an ex post facto extension of the original penaltly. It also seems non-sensical to claim the penalty that is applicable dates from the end of the appeal process rather than the date of testing positive.

It is not clear that any team would want to defy the UCI, which obviously wants to stick it to Hamilton.

I think he could sue and possibly win on a technical point, but the problem is that no ProTour team would want to tarnish their own image and that of their sponsors by taking TH.

helmutRoole2 said:
In my mind, he kinda ****ed himself.:)

I completely agree, and he deserved what he got.

My concern is for the innocent caught in circumstances. You see what happened to Jan, and it's not at all clear if he was even involved. With this policy of 'protest and get even harsher penalties', we may see innocent riders folding up rather than run the risk of four years instead of two.

Doping needs to stop, but a dictatorship with no appeal is not the answer. The right to face one's accusers and present the best possible defence is a cornerstone of all democracies. Granted, Hamilton pushed the concept to the extreme... but he got the worst possible punishment, external to the ProTour. He is an egotistical sports star who has been publicly revealed to be a liar.

Just another in a long series of oddities in the TH case. Nice to see the UCI suddenly change the rules months after agreeing that TH was eligble to come back in September and could ride for a ProTour team. Whether you like TH or not you have to admit it's a joke and horrible for this sport or any sport when the governing body can suddenly change the rules and backdate them.

House said:
Just another in a long series of oddities in the TH case. Nice to see the UCI suddenly change the rules months after agreeing that TH was eligble to come back in September and could ride for a ProTour team. Whether you like TH or not you have to admit it's a joke and horrible for this sport or any sport when the governing body can suddenly change the rules and backdate them.

It wasn't UCI that said Tyler could come back in September, it was CAS that reversed the the earlier decision on when the two year ban started.

meb said:
It wasn't UCI that said Tyler could come back in September, it was CAS that reversed the the earlier decision on when the two year ban started.
They are kind of doing him a favor. I mean, who's going to take him? Now he and his twin don't have to go through all that rejection :D .

nns1400 said:
They are kind of doing him a favor. I mean, who's going to take him? Now he and his twin don't have to go through all that rejection :D .
I bet he'll be flying either United or HealthNet colors in 2007-8.

helmutRoole2 said:
I bet he'll be flying either United or HealthNet colors in 2007-8.
Maybe he and Frankie Andreu could hook up, I mean Frankie is looking for work right?

meb said:
No, the CAS administred the UCI rule properly and the UCI was ok with it for months...until now.

I was really hoping to see Tyler back at the world championships. What an idiot for not petitioning.

EvilJediJ said:

I was really hoping to see Tyler back at the world championships. What an idiot for not petitioning.
You actually mean, what an idiot for not admitting he doped, and being able to race in a Pro Tour team.

The day he shows up at the NRC race that Im at (should he actually race), is the day Ill walk off the course in disgust

House said:
No, the CAS administred the UCI rule properly and the UCI was ok with it for months...until now.

The initial decision was for 2 years from the date of decision. On appeal to CAS the effective date of the two year suspension was changed to run two years from the suspension at the Vuelta in September 2004.

The recent UCI interest in Hamilton relates to evidence discovered in the Fuentes investigation.

meb said:
The initial decision was for 2 years from the date of decision. On appeal to CAS the effective date of the two year suspension was changed to run two years from the suspension at the Vuelta in September 2004.

The recent UCI interest in Hamilton relates to evidence discovered in the Fuentes investigation.
In other words the UCI agreed to the ban beginning in September 2004 and now has decided to change their mind. If you read the article, you will see it has nothing to do with the newer allegations (which have not been proven).

Why is everyone so ****** about Hamilton? Is is because he lied about doping and has not fessed up? Nearly everyone caught does the same thing. Heras is still denying it. Or is it that many people were gullible enough to believe his denials and feel betrayed?

The only problem I have with Hamilton is the donations he solicited for his defense. That was a snake ass move, but the fact that he doped is not exactly surprising.

I still do not see the difference between Miller and Hamilton.