Have a look at this NIGHTMARE!!

Bigbananabike

Dec 29, 2004
I bought a steel frame with the seatpost stuck in it. The bike shop guy and me put the top of the seatpost in the vice and tried levering the frame the top of the post turned - but not the post.
I took it home again, cut off the post and then set to with my air powered reciprocating saw (it has a hacksaw blade) and cut down into it. Unfortunately I've cut small cracks/holes in the frame too. It seems like all of the post was stuck to all of the frame. I've still got this bit to go but I'd had enough of it and taken it to the sandblaster to be stripped and primed. I get it finished eventually - but its a challenge!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif Paul /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Attachments

• REMAINS_OF_SEATPOST.jpg
    REMAINS_OF_SEATPOST.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 66
It looks like junk to me. Why do you want it when there are so many other bikes out there?

Just a thought......did you try soaking it with penetrating oil for several days before trying to remove it? It doesn't look like junk to me, it looks like the start of a nice project bike. Just beware, often if the seatpost has gotten stuck from corrosion, usually there is considerable corrosion elsewhere in the frame.

If you don't mind the possibility of having to repaint the frame, try heating the seat tube with an electric heat gun, it will expand around the seat post and loosen it up.

To bad you already cut off the portion sticking out of the frame. One other option you had before was a combination of things suggested already (heat and penetrating oit) along with using a heavy ball peen hammer and trying to break the corosive bond by giving the top of the post a few good blows. Once the post started to move you could have went back to the vice and try twisting and pulling it out.

Still looks like junk to me and not worth the effort. Just find another junker to restore if that's your thing.

Originally Posted by Yojimbo_ .

Still looks like junk to me and not worth the effort. Just find another junker to restore if that's your thing.
It could be a Colnago Master for all you know...so keep your Dumbassed opinions to your self. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon13.gif

[SIZE= medium]We had already tried CRC and putting the body of the seatpost in the vice but it wouldn’t budge. Amazingly the post is stuck all the way down – I’ve been chiselling at it with a long screwdriver and knocking bits off it. [/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]We could’ve used heat but I thought as aluminium expands more than steel it was unlikely to work. [/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]The frame is now at the sandblaster’s (he does fames for me for $20 – frame / fork and he primes them for that fee too/img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif). [/SIZE]
[SIZE= medium]I repaint bikes occasionally – I’ve got a Saronni and TEAM Raleigh on the go now. [/SIZE]

[SIZE= medium]BBB/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif[/SIZE]

Originally Posted by Bigbananabike .

Quote: Originally Posted by Yojimbo_ .

It could be a Colnago Master for all you know...so keep your Dumbassed opinions to your self. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon13.gif

But it isn't is it?