Heart Rate monitor or not??

closesupport said:
truthfully what purpose does that have! i find half the time that i would just prefare a large speedo that tells me if i'm going slow or fast, if my legs don't hurt then i can go faster.

i find alot of the time i'll glimpse at the HRM only when i'm recovering, so when its back down to 130 then i'm off again, when its 180 - 185 you can tell if your going faster or slower, as for gears on a flightdeck?

have you not got a kneck that you can bend, just to glimpse at the cassette?

Why crane your neck when you don't have to? It's just a simple convenience and it comes on a system with a lot of great features. Some ride for the wind, some for the pain, some for an escape from the home, bills, spouse or whatever. Some of us ride for the numbers. Numbers can be just as motivating as all of the other reasons to ride and pushing to new limits is best confirmed when the numbers tell the tale.

Beastt said:
Why crane your neck when you don't have to? It's just a simple convenience and it comes on a system with a lot of great features. Some ride for the wind, some for the pain, some for an escape from the home, bills, spouse or whatever. Some of us ride for the numbers. Numbers can be just as motivating as all of the other reasons to ride and pushing to new limits is best confirmed when the numbers tell the tale.
i suppose so, but i give it all out, through out, i don't really care as long as the speedo states 24mph +, but yes i'm a pain man, i like the chemicals i produce, i've never really rode for numbers, to damn expensive anyway! but my endorphines, hormones and enkephalines are motivation enough, plus the added motivation from riding my bike, cause i love her :)

I picked up a Wireless Vetta V100HR computer/HR off ebay for about $100. Been using it for a month or so with no probs. It's got some nice features like customizable training zones w/audio alarm, but I usually just look at the readout when I'm climbing to make sure I'm not in the red.

Just purchased the Polar S725 ... wondered if anyone has experience with it??

rfctx said:
Just purchased the Polar S725 ... wondered if anyone has experience with it??
I just upgraded from the S520 to the S725. My observations after 4 rides and about 160 miles:

New heart rate strap is much more comfortable but is harder to get a signal and loses a signal more often than the 520. Plus you have to get it wet before each use. I will probably by an "old" type strap. On my 38 mile ride today, my last 6 miles were 00's for heart rate. And this is the exact same course I have did numerous times without losing a signal. I was going good at that point too so I was bent.

I miss the autostart feature the 520 had. It would automatically stop and start as you did on your bike, such as stoplights, breaks, etc. For some reason there is no such feature on the 725

The big reason I upgraded was the additional memory. They advertise being able to save 99 files. After 3 rides my memory was almost full. It will not record your workout if the memory is full. Not a big deal but kind of misleading.

I really like the altitude and temperature feature though. Plus the carbon look is much better than the 520.

I'm interested in buying a HRM and am looking for advice. Nothing serious, I'm just looking for a basic model that I can program my max HR and acceptable training ranges. I would like the alarm feature when out of training range. And most importantly, I want it to be inexpensive, around $50. Can anyone recommend anything that fits this description? Is it a bad idea to get a cheaper model? Do I really need more features than this? (I'm not into racing but want to take riding more seriously and enter fun/casual events next year.) I'm clueless about HRMs so any advice is appreciated.

I've noticed some Timex watch/HRMs in several retailers in my area. Does anyone have any opinions on these?

I've noticed that some HRM's have a calorie count feature, which is something I would be interested in. How reliable is this feature?

Yup, I use a Polar 720i given to me by my wife as a gift. Don't have the nerves to buy it for myself, too pricey for me but works very well.:)

odontek said:
Yup, I use a Polar 720i given to me by my wife as a gift. Don't have the nerves to buy it for myself, too pricey for me but works very well.:)
you skin flint....... what happened to the whats mine is mine, and whats yours is mine also, shows who wears the pants in your house. :D ;)

YES! Ever since I got one (Sports Instruments) I find it extremely valuable. To Saucy, I got the model I use at Nashbar for about $40 marked down from $140. It's not the latest and greatest, but it works well, and would be within your price range. Good luck!

closesupport said:
you skin flint....... what happened to the whats mine is mine, and whats yours is mine also, shows who wears the pants in your house. :D ;)
As long as I get what I want I don't mind her wearing the pants. hehehe:rolleyes:

cdawnreed said:
Do you use a heart rate monitor when riding?

Please specify what brand and type when you reply.
I just have a Polar A3, not very fancy but gives me % of max, average heart rate and time in exercise zone. To set the % of max I have fudge with my age as it uses the 220-age to figure out % of max.
I got it about half price and it seems to work OK. I have to use some gel to enhance the signal as on cooler days it wouldn't work for the first 5-10 miles until I produced a little sweat.

I've used heart rate monitors for years. Had an ancient G-Pulse that rusted to death from the sweat. Replaced it with a Sports Instruments ECG5 from Nashbar's Amazon.com store - $40.00 ($10.00 less than Nashbar's own site). Really like it - particularly the ability to set min/max heart rates, and track time in zone.

The calorie function seems optimistic - 2,000+ calories burned over 40 minutes at 135-145 bpm for a 215-pound male?

Using a heart rate monitor means workouts are more consistent and repeatable. When I train without the HRM, I exercise at what I think is an appropriate intensity. With the HRM, you know.

I also suggest you pick up a tube of Buh-Bump. Its a conductive gel you apply to the chest transmitter to help it pick up heart beats. Without it, you have to sweat a little to get tranmitter strap wet, and get reliable readings. With Buh-Bump, you get reliable readings as soon as you strap on the transmitter.

gjmalcyon said:
The calorie function seems optimistic - 2,000+ calories burned over 40 minutes at 135-145 bpm
2,000 CALORIES BURNED IN 40 MINUTES, HOW FAST DO YOU RIDE? AND HOW COME YOUR HEARTRATE IS SO SLOW!

I RIDE WITH HEARTRATES OF AROUND 180/200+BPM, CREATE AVERAGE SPEEDS OVER 23MPH OVER 65MILES IN AROUND 3+HRS AND I WORKOUT THAT I BURNOFF AROUND 4000+ CALORIES FOR THAT TIME PERIOD?

WHEN I RIDE I FIND WHEN I'M GRINDING IT OUT I SWEAT LIKE A PAEDOPHILE IN A KINDER GARDEN CLASS, SO I DON'T HAVE ANY REAL PROBLEMS WITH CONTACTS.

gjmalcyon said:
(Snip...)

The calorie function seems optimistic - 2,000+ calories burned over 40 minutes at 135-145 bpm for a 215-pound male?

(...snip).

I have to agree. If you apply such calorie use to the Grand Tours and factor in that the longer mountain stages sometimes run as much as 8-hours, you'd find the riders burning 24,000 calories in a single day. Your suspicions are clearly well founded.

closesupport said:
2,000 CALORIES BURNED IN 40 MINUTES, HOW FAST DO YOU RIDE? AND HOW COME YOUR HEARTRATE IS SO SLOW!

I RIDE WITH HEARTRATES OF AROUND 180/200+BPM, CREATE AVERAGE SPEEDS OVER 23MPH OVER 65MILES IN AROUND 3+HRS AND I WORKOUT THAT I BURNOFF AROUND 4000+ CALORIES FOR THAT TIME PERIOD?

WHEN I RIDE I FIND WHEN I'M GRINDING IT OUT I SWEAT LIKE A PAEDOPHILE IN A KINDER GARDEN CLASS, SO I DON'T HAVE ANY REAL PROBLEMS WITH CONTACTS.
That's on my indoor trainer, so the MPH readings are generally bogus. Heart rate is slow 'cause I'm a fat, old (46) man who got back into riding 6 months ago after a 20+ year hiatus. I've dropped 25 pounds, and can cruise at a steady 18+ mph all day. I can't catch you young turds, er, turks yet, but I'm optimistic.

Polar heart rate monitors (brand new) are pretty cheap on ebay. At least compared to other retailers.

I use an entry level Polar HRM. I think they are reliable and the service I got from them is pretty good.My HRM wasnt picking up anything so I sent it to the Polar Agent here in my area.3 days later,my HRM was serviced and working like a dream again.Lots of these HRM's are good but they also have there problems so I went with Polar so that I wont have issues with faulty items!! :)