heating oiled disc pads?

zebulon

Jan 4, 2005
so if your disc pads get oil (or wd40 I assume) on them, you can heat them on a stove to remove the oil, like just heat them in a kettle of water, or actually birn the pad surface in a skillet? and most of the time it should remove the "damage" ? does the oil do anything to the disc rotor, like pit it or put hard spots on it? I saw this is another thread and it sounds useful to know, if it really helps? does it? Just trying to learn here people.

QOUTE: Avid's stuff is all good. Hayes makes good hydraulics and decent
mechanicals. I've never used Shimano,Magura or Hope, but I hear you can't
go wrong with Hopes. Maguras have some bad apples (notably the Julies). If
you're looking for cheap, I would get one used front Avid disc brake that
someone has claimed got grease or oil on it (because it'll go for cheap),
and then cook the pads on the stove to burn that stuff off, and then ride
it. I've found the Avids to be stronger than my Hayes hydraulics, but
nowhere near the kind of modulation that the Hayes have. - Phil Squid-in-training

THat operation is a fine line. It is supposed to burn the contaminat out before it charrs or embrittles the pad compound. Generally speaking, I would be leary of doing it unless you found exact temperature data. I have had worse luck trying to cook the stuff out than I have sanding it/chemicaling it off. THe problem comes when you heat it the oil fuses further into the pad compound before you can do anything else.

Yeh I think I read one of your replies on sanding them and that sounds like a lot better idea to me...Im new to all of this so Im just looking for good tips on it all, Im buying a trek 4300..I know I should go for a higher model to start with so I dont replace it in a year, but money wont allow it right now, I cant even afford the 4300 disc model (100$ more). so Im just going with the standard (v-brakes?). Its only 330$ so its not a real bad price for it. besides I only weigh 140lbs so I dont think the fork will bottom out too bad for me.