Hell Ride makes the news again !??



MikeyOz

New Member
Aug 12, 2003
942
0
0
52
http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/Vics-chopper-squad-to-monitor-Hell-Ride/2007/07/10/1183833487512.html

I have tagged onto the Hell Ride back from Frankston a few times recently and it certain does not contain "Hundreds of riders" anymore, I think they must copy and paste text from previous articles and the pace is nothing like it used to be, so it must be the fact it takes in Mordiallac and Mount Eliza, the cyclists must be upsetting all the people in 4WD's driving 500 metres to the bakery to get their paper and bread in the morning.

I wonder if there is a shooting or armed robbery near by the Helicopter won't be available because it is monitoring the deadly "Hell Ride".

A all be it "Stupid" act kills a pedestrian and all this comes about, can you imagine what will happen if another pedestrain is killed, I reckon they might think of banning cycling on Beach Road.
 

cfsmtb

New Member
Apr 11, 2003
4,963
0
0
Someone in VicPol doesn't know how to prioritise. Don't get me started on previous efforts where they seconded resources to events that clearly *didn't* require such attention. (i.e.: took away officers from booze buses etc so the meedya were kept happy)


sigh.
 
M

Michael Warner

Guest
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 13:33:31 +1000, MikeyOz wrote:

> I have tagged onto the Hell Ride back from Frankston a few times
> recently and it certain does not contain "Hundreds of riders" anymore,
> I think they must copy and paste text from previous articles and the
> pace is nothing like it used to be


That's a shame. I've always had a vague plan to bring my bike over
and try it sometime :)
 
A

AndrewJ

Guest
On Jul 10, 1:49 pm, cfsmtb <[email protected]
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Someone in VicPol doesn't know how to prioritise. Don't get me started
> on previous efforts where they seconded resources to events that
> clearly *didn't* require such attention. (i.e.: took away officers from
> booze buses etc so the meedya were kept happy)
>
> sigh.
>
> --
> cfsmtb


Looks pretty much like a case of "media driven policing" to me.

Cost of flying a helicopter for hours to follow the ride? Versus cost
of a policeman holding a digital camera to
photograph cyclists going through red lights?

How on earth do you collect evidence from a helicopter?
 
T

Theo Bekkers

Guest
AndrewJ wrote:

> How on earth do you collect evidence from a helicopter?


Wait till it crashes and then sort through the debris?

Theo
 
P

PiledHigher

Guest
On Jul 10, 3:04 pm, AndrewJ <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jul 10, 1:49 pm, cfsmtb <[email protected]
>
> mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> > Someone in VicPol doesn't know how to prioritise. Don't get me started
> > on previous efforts where they seconded resources to events that
> > clearly *didn't* require such attention. (i.e.: took away officers from
> > booze buses etc so the meedya were kept happy)

>
> > sigh.

>
> > --
> > cfsmtb

>
> Looks pretty much like a case of "media driven policing" to me.
>
> Cost of flying a helicopter for hours to follow the ride? Versus cost
> of a policeman holding a digital camera to
> photograph cyclists going through red lights?
>
> How on earth do you collect evidence from a helicopter?


What are the odds that the three flights planned don't all eventuate,
some pricey real estate along there, not sure they will like being
buzzed by a relatively slow moving helicopter at 7am on a saturday
morning!
 
O

OzCableguy

Guest
"MikeyOz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>
> http://www.theage.com.au/news/Natio...nitor-Hell-Ride/2007/07/10/1183833487512.html
>
> A all be it "Stupid" act kills a pedestrian and all this comes about,
> can you imagine what will happen if another pedestrain is killed, I
> reckon they might think of banning cycling on Beach Road.
>


I wonder if they'll organise a chopper to monitor the vehicular traffic next
time there's a car related fatality?

--
www.ozcableguy.com
www.oztechnologies.com
 

rooman

New Member
Mar 11, 2005
1,167
0
0
PiledHigher said:
On Jul 10, 3:04 pm, AndrewJ <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jul 10, 1:49 pm, cfsmtb <[email protected]
>
> mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> > Someone in VicPol doesn't know how to prioritise. Don't get me started
> > on previous efforts where they seconded resources to events that
> > clearly *didn't* require such attention. (i.e.: took away officers from
> > booze buses etc so the meedya were kept happy)

>
> > sigh.

>
> > --
> > cfsmtb

>
> Looks pretty much like a case of "media driven policing" to me.
>
> Cost of flying a helicopter for hours to follow the ride? Versus cost
> of a policeman holding a digital camera to
> photograph cyclists going through red lights?
>
> How on earth do you collect evidence from a helicopter?


What are the odds that the three flights planned don't all eventuate,
some pricey real estate along there, not sure they will like being
buzzed by a relatively slow moving helicopter at 7am on a saturday
morning!
The article is a confused piece of scratchy journalism at best.... more on that later,

however the Police Chopper is a regular along this bayside coastline anyway..on many night flights it buzzes the coast line road, (along with Lindsay Fox on his commute to the peninsula)....

early morning flights are also not unusal on Saturdays either, and weekends they often work with the Divvy vans in case some retrobate is doing "business deals" in one of the beachside parks after hassling the all- night pubs at Sandy & Middle Brighton...

If they monitor the road down to Frankston along the beach that might be a good thing, then they will see from above how stupid some of the motorists are on the SE rds at that time of day, suffering from hangovers and driving erratically, and often tossing bottles and abuse at anyone awake...far more dangerous than the riders out getting fit and enjoying their lives in a healthy way.

The Black Rock ride will allways be there, it isnt the evil hienous event its made out to be by the meedya, and rarely do any of the sections allow, let alone get riders over the speed limit.

The article itself is confused, convoluting and in fact in spite of the headline is actually in a lying way, talking about Beach Rd's route not the Hell Ride, but manages to somehow make it "newsy and controversial" by dropping the Hell Ride into it...Even the Police spokesperson at the end isnt talking about the Hell Ride when he says there are 8000 riders in up to 200 groups on the road on the weekend mornings... better the helicopter crew keeps a look out for 8000 people's safety than sitting in the Essendon hanger playing cards.

Anyway, the bayside riding roads require much greater support for this activity ( weekend riders doing it safely without confusing police directives and parked cars, construction barriers and detritous). The clearway system needs a hurry along and Bayside Council and Kingston Council need to pull their fingers out amd join Port Phillip City and get on with making this road a safer bicycle route by completing the clearway, removing parked cars, the council built traffic calming measures and the narrow bike lanes at Charman Road.

I had a recent discussion with Bayside Council and on why they are delaying the clearway, and it was stated they are holding off until after the Coroner gives his report. Essentially just using it as a delay with no other outcome than it suits their politics at City hall. What effect that report will have on the Council's need to act quickly escapes me, the sooner they get on with it the better for all of the Bayside Road users, so that comonsense and cartainty will prevail.
 

rooman

New Member
Mar 11, 2005
1,167
0
0
its in the HuN too!

Herald Sun (Letter to comment on article at)
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/comments/0,22023,22049358-661,00.html

with a few anti bike comments ( just what they wanted!)

I sent this in reply if it gets published which is unlikley)

This article confuses recreational riding along the Melbourne Bayside Roads on weekends which can have 8000 riders in many many groups doing healthy recreational activity harming no one with one small ride of 40 or so riders which is over before most people get out of bed on Saturdays.
Get it in perspective please!.
What is important is that the police have a job to ensure the safety of 8000 riders doing a healthy activity from hung over hoons who throw botles at them and drivers who are impatient or intollerant.
The police spokesperson quoted is not discussing the so called Hell Ride, he is talking about the overall use of the Beach Road and Bayside precincts as a popular recreational bicycle riding location every weekend year in year out (and increasing with the shift to responsible transport choices and healthy activity by many to stave off obesity and heart disease).

Get real people, bicycle riders are not the problem, only attitudes from those who are threatened by their own ignorance is the problem.
The Herald Sun could do well to report the true story from the police not embellish it with sensation from the past .
Responsible riders form the huge bulk of all on road riding activity, see it for a good thing, not condemn it with misleading "newsy" distortion please.
 

MikeyOz

New Member
Aug 12, 2003
942
0
0
52
rooman said:
with a few anti bike comments ( just what they wanted!)

I sent this in reply if it gets published which is unlikley)

See I would not have said it has as well as that, hence usually the reason why I don't leave replies! I am sure they only display what works for them though, it must be moderated.
 

The Double Zero

New Member
Apr 15, 2005
178
0
0
MikeyOz said:
See I would not have said it has as well as that, hence usually the reason why I don't leave replies! I am sure they only display what works for them though, it must be moderated.
It was also the second story on National Nine News tonight. More important than the trial of the footballers on assault charges (Voss, Gherig and co.) Also with the old in car footage from last time and footage from when the old man was unfortunately killed.
 

cfsmtb

New Member
Apr 11, 2003
4,963
0
0
The Double Zero said:
It was also the second story on National Nine News tonight. More important than the trial of the footballers on assault charges (Voss, Gherig and co.) Also with the old in car footage from last time and footage from when the old man was unfortunately killed.

On June 23, two people lost their lives on Victorian roads, not forgetting a hit-run incident on the same day, where a man involved died five days later.

Oh sorry, how naive of me to expect triple the outpouring of moral indignation and grief from the usual suspects in the meedya.
 

SteveA

New Member
Jul 15, 2004
1,309
0
0
64
"Dear Police Commissioner,

I understand your helicopter was videoing a bike ride that I was participating in last Saturday.

My elderly Mum lives interstate and cannot come to see me ride so, if possible, I would greatly appreciate it if you could provide a copy of the video tape from the helicopter so I can send it to my Mum."

SteveA
 
T

Travis

Guest
On Jul 10, 4:47 pm, rooman <[email protected]
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> its in the HuN too!
>
> Herald Sun (Letter to comment on article at)http://tinyurl.com/2hkrm2
>
> with a few anti bike comments ( just what they wanted!)
>
> I sent this in reply if it gets published which is unlikley)


My reply is there though.

Travis, (aka "Mokusatsu")
 

rooman

New Member
Mar 11, 2005
1,167
0
0
Travis said:
On Jul 10, 4:47 pm, rooman <[email protected]
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> its in the HuN too!
>
> Herald Sun (Letter to comment on article at)http://tinyurl.com/2hkrm2
>
> with a few anti bike comments ( just what they wanted!)
>
> I sent this in reply if it gets published which is unlikley)


My reply is there though.

Travis, (aka "Mokusatsu")
good one, not a word from them on my contrib!

It clearly offended their wish to publish the truth and have clarity spoil their story !

Blue skies this morn, the TV cameras should get lots of hypey footage to embellish the truth a bit more.
 

jazmo

New Member
Jan 19, 2004
449
0
0
Saw a Channel 7 vehicle parked around where the Hell Ride starts at around 8:00 am this morning - wonder what they were doing there?
 
T

Terryc

Guest
MikeyOz wrote:

> I wonder if there is a shooting or armed robbery near by the Helicopter
> won't be available because it is monitoring the deadly "Hell Ride".


If it is monitoring the hell ride, then it can probably give faster
response if one of those occur.


> A all be it "Stupid" act kills a pedestrian and all this comes about,
> can you imagine what will happen if another pedestrain is killed, I
> reckon they might think of banning cycling on Beach Road.


I wonder if they will do the same for "driving" on roads where cars have
killed two people?
 
T

Terryc

Guest
PiledHigher wrote:

> What are the odds that the three flights planned don't all eventuate,
> some pricey real estate along there, not sure they will like being
> buzzed by a relatively slow moving helicopter at 7am on a saturday
> morning!


Why should they be treated any different?

We regularly experience around midnight chopper supported ops in the
next suburb.
 

Similar threads