Helmet brands

ccorrick

Dec 9, 2003
In your opintion, taking in account all aspects of a helmet, which brand performs the best? I'm talking road helmets.

I'm not sure who makes helmets for who, so some of these may not be manufacturers? I need a new one, and have only ever used Giro, so wanted to see some opintions.

I have a Trek helmet I paid $29 bucks for at my LBS. My wife paid $19 for basicly the same helmet -- it's a Schwinn name plate. I bought another helmet at a used store for 3 bucks.... the same helmet!

Avoid buying brand names in cycling unless there is a quality difference--

Originally posted by ccorrick
In your opintion, taking in account all aspects of a helmet, which brand performs the best? I'm talking road helmets.

I'm not sure who makes helmets for who, so some of these may not be manufacturers? I need a new one, and have only ever used Giro, so wanted to see some opintions.

Frankly, it's which one fits your coconut the best is what matters most to me. If I have to test out a helmet, to see which performs the best, I'd probably be dead by now :D ;)

Originally posted by Rudy
Frankly, it's which one fits your coconut the best is what matters most to me. If I have to test out a helmet, to see which performs the best, I'd probably be dead by now :D ;)

there are other aspects to evaluating "performance" besides cranial impact testing like cooling and weight . . . ;)

I've been wearing a Bell Ghisallo for a while now -- of all the top shelf models (ie, light, breathy, look cool, worn by Tyler), the Ghisallo is generally the cheapest.

How many other helmets currently worn by the top elites can be found new, on sale, for under $70 USD?

The ubiquitos Pneumo is nice; I've always thought Limars fit well and seemed sturdy as well. But I'll be wearing Ghisallos for some time to come.

It takes a combo of fit (everybody's noggin is different), and how it looks, IMO.

I've seen some that on the rack or in the catalog I've said "that looks cool", but on my head it looked dreadful.

I just got a new Limar to retire my old Bell (which looked OK but actually fit too loosely to be safe - with all the miles I'm now doing, it was time to get a better-fitting helmet, since my exposure has increased substantially).

I wanted (to at least try) a Bell Ghisallo and/or a Giro Pneumo, but I couldn't find the former in Sydney and the latter isn't approved for general use in Australia. I tried a few Limars, but ended up with a Met Ippogriffo. Very light, good cooling/airflow and extremely comfortable, although to me it looks a bit like I'm wearing a beer cooler. I've been told otherwise and that I'm just being fussy, but I'm glad I don't have to look at it while riding. ;)

I didn't mention that I've actually USED 4 helmets!!!! I've had 3 concussions. I've been down 4 times in races and every single one was right onto my head!

You bet I'm going with a name brand, and I don't even consider the cost. I want light, cool, and fuctional. I'd only trust the big brands that put all the $$$$$ into research.

Looks like Bell, and Giro are the favorites and the most abundent.

Probably going to get a Pneumo or Ghisallo. The more I spend the better I feel about my noggin(true or not I don't care). I'll go try these two on.

I currently wear a bell ghisallo, but have worn other bell helmets in the past. bells seem to fit my head better than others, but one would hope any snell/ansi approved helmet would offer enough protection.

Thing is, all helmets meet the same basic safety standards in terms of impact resistance -- the only variable factor where safety is concerned relates to fit. If the fit is equal, a $20 Schwinn helmet from Sears is going to protect your noggin as well as a $160 Limar F111. Consumer Reports did a series of crash tests last year and rated most cheap helmets as doing a better job than the handful of high-end racing lids they screened.

Fancier helmets are boasting other benefits -- low weight, better ventilation, precise fitting systems, and radical, streamlined, airbrushed, metal-flaked good looks.

Bottom line? Your only real considerations are, in order of importance: fit, style, wallet. You can re-arrange items 2 and 3 in terms of importance but keep "fit" in the first slot.

Originally posted by lokstah
Thing is, all helmets meet the same basic safety standards in terms of impact resistance -- the only variable factor where safety is concerned relates to fit. If the fit is equal, a $20 Schwinn helmet from Sears is going to protect your noggin as well as a $160 Limar F111. Consumer Reports did a series of crash tests last year and rated most cheap helmets as doing a better job than the handful of high-end racing lids they screened.

Fancier helmets are boasting other benefits -- low weight, better ventilation, precise fitting systems, and radical, streamlined, airbrushed, metal-flaked good looks.

Bottom line? Your only real considerations are, in order of importance: fit, style, wallet. You can re-arrange items 2 and 3 in terms of importance but keep "fit" in the first slot.

Well put, thanks!

I love my Giro Pneumo, picked it up on sale via the net. One thing I noticed immediately is it is far more adustable that my old helmet (Specialized $50 model) and much lighter. Agreed, safety standrads are universal, but fit/comfort is the key. If you're going to go ride for 4 plus hours you want comfort. Especially in the hot conditions, better venting is a consideration. Never gone down on a road bike, but I've bounced on my head a fair share on my mountain bike.

I currently use a Specializes S1 Domina-Vacenze helmet. It is very light and very comfortable.
I picked it up when i was in NewZealand for around $190AUD and it have never looked back.

I am using a Bell Ghisallo as well. Picked it up on ebay for $49 at the end of last year. It's very comfortable, light, and well vented.
I tried different Bell and Giro helmets before getting the Ghisallo. The Giro Pneumo is nice but I couldn't get a good price on it. Two things got me away from the Giro though: the fit system is not as good as on the high end Bells, you need two hands to adjust the helmet when only only one is needed with the very well designed wheel system of the Bell. Secondly I have seen several Giro units in various stores with the fit system disconnected from the shell, or broken, they seem very fragile.
I can only recommend the Ghisallo.

I'm using a Specialized helmet at this time. I was all set to buy a $150 Giro, but I must have a pointy forehead, 'cause all the Giros were pressing against it. The Specialized helmet fits perfectly and only cost me around $50 or so...

For what it's worth--I was about to start a charity ride recently when I realized I forgot my helment. I went to the only place open--the local Wallmart and bought a cheap Schwinn helment. It's work as well as anything else I've tried.

Originally posted by Blackberry
For what it's worth--I was about to start a charity ride recently when I realized I forgot my helment. I went to the only place open--the local Wallmart and bought a cheap Schwinn helment. It's work as well as anything else I've tried.

And next week I'll learn that helmet isn't spelled helment. That's what you get when you have a glass of wine will cruising the web.