Helmet Debate

David Bentley

Guest
Since having a nasty fall on a level crossing and putting a nice dent in
my helmet, I am no longer a reluctant helmet wearer.

My wife told our neighbour about the incident and she told her that a
few years ago one of her friends came off her bike on a family ride, no
other vehicles were involved, hit her head on the road and died. She
wasn't wearing a helmet.

My head hit the ground with quite a force and I'm sure I would not have
managed to carry on with the ride had I not been wearing a helmet. Its
all well and good practising how to fall and get your head away from the
ground, but in fall such as the one I had it happens so quickly there
is no time to think.

Just my few thoughts
--
David Bentley

David Bentley <[email protected]> wrote:
> Since having a nasty fall on a level crossing and putting a nice dent in
> my helmet, I am no longer a reluctant helmet wearer.
>
> My wife told our neighbour about the incident and she told her that a
> few years ago one of her friends came off her bike on a family ride, no
> other vehicles were involved, hit her head on the road and died. She
> wasn't wearing a helmet.
>
> My head hit the ground with quite a force and I'm sure I would not have
> managed to carry on with the ride had I not been wearing a helmet. Its
> all well and good practising how to fall and get your head away from the
> ground, but in fall such as the one I had it happens so quickly there
> is no time to think.
>
> Just my few thoughts

*Sigh*

Last time I went for a ride, I didn't fall off my bike. Luckily, I
wasn't wearing my helmet at the time - I say lucky because I often
do wear it. If I had been wearing it, and not fallen off, I could
have been not severely injured at all!

I didn't hit my head with any force at all! There wasn't even a dent,
it was fantastic, and I'll never not fail to neglect to not wear a helmet
again! Or something.

So, my anecdotal evidence suggests that not wearing a helmet may or
may not make a differece or not depending on wether or not I don't
or do whatever it isn't that didn't not happen last time I did or
didn't do whatever it was.

Just my few thoughts

--
Nobby

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 07:42:23 GMT someone who may be David Bentley
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>Just my few thoughts

Here are some other people's thoughts
http://www.cyclehelmets.org/mf.html#1019

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

David Bentley <[email protected]> wrote in news:nukQw4CaF6wCFw10
@ntlworld.com:

> Just my few thoughts

Noooooo!!!
(although it may not sound so, this post is not meant to be taken as a
criticism but rather as a friendly warning to run and hide whilst you can!)

Please, read a few of the other numerous threads on helmets before posting
your helmet thoughts. If you'd done so then you'd realise that you have
just opened yourself up to numerous posts pointing out how wrong/right you
are (most would be saying you are wrong).

Most of the threads have a number of links to sites on the effectiveness of
helmets. Read a few of them first and also bear in mind how people's
personal experiences can give them a biased view of some issues.

Graeme

David Bentley came up with the following;:
> Since having a nasty fall on a level crossing and putting a nice dent in
> my helmet, I am no longer a reluctant helmet wearer.

If it makes you happy, fine.

> Just my few thoughts

Yes.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Fantic 307 Trials on ebay 4558564657
Beamish 250 Trials on ebay 4558878921

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 07:42:23 GMT, David Bentley <[email protected]> wrote:

>Its
>all well and good practising how to fall and get your head away from the
>ground, but in fall such as the one I had it happens so quickly there
>is no time to think.

There's really no point in practicing. We are evolved to protect our most vital
'bits', and will react far faster than we can think.

It's also very hard to overcome our preprogramming.

I'll bet that even if you had a guaranteed 100% effective against anything
helmet, you'd *still* be more likely to end up with arm injuries as your
reflexes kicked in to protect your head.

David Bentley wrote:

> My head hit the ground with quite a force and I'm sure I would not have
> managed to carry on with the ride had I not been wearing a helmet.

I've never hit my head falling off without a helmet; I have hit my head
several times falling off wearing a helmet. Helmets add half a kilogram
mass to my head. Go figure.

--
Tony

Anon

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:28:15 +0100, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

>David Bentley wrote:
>>
>> My head hit the ground with quite a force and I'm sure I would not have
>> managed to carry on with the ride had I not been wearing a helmet.

>I've never hit my head falling off without a helmet; I have hit my head
>several times falling off wearing a helmet. Helmets add half a kilogram
>mass to my head. Go figure.

Plus, they increase the size of your head, so you're that little bit more likely
to make contact.

David Bentley wrote:
> Since having a nasty fall on a level crossing and putting a nice dent in
> my helmet, I am no longer a reluctant helmet wearer.

And I wonder if you're a reluctant troll?

> My wife told our neighbour about the incident and she told her that a
> few years ago one of her friends came off her bike on a family ride, no
> other vehicles were involved, hit her head on the road and died. She
> wasn't wearing a helmet.

Guy knows of a couple of old chaps from his vicinity who came off their
bikes, no other vehicles involved, and the Late one was wearing a helmet
and the living one wasn't. So what does your neighbour think of that?

Welcome to the world of anecdotal evidence, where you can prove anything
you like with statistically insignificant information! If you look at
the full-on population data then the sample base rules out unusual
incidents in both directions to a considerable degree. And what you are
left with is *no* clear evidence of helmets reducing risks of serious
injuries.

A better lesson to learn than "always wear a helmet" might be always
cross rails (be they for railways or cattle grids or tramlines or
whatever) at as close to 90 degrees as you can manage, and consider
hopping the front wheel over them completely. That way you don't fall
off, so your headgear is irrelevant. Dutch cyclists have lots of level
crossings and tramlines to deal with, yet almost none of them wear
helmets outside of sporting use. Think about that...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Peter Clinch wrote:
> Dutch cyclists have lots of level
> crossings and tramlines to deal with, yet almost none of them wear
> helmets outside of sporting use. Think about that...

And it's worth noting that they only wear them for sporting use because
the rules insist on it (which, by the way, says nothing about the
effectiveness or otherwise of helmets in preventing injuries).

d.

David Bentley wrote:
> Just my few thoughts

I don't believe there was any element of thought in what you wrote.

If you had put any thought into the matter, you might have thought
better of posting this rubbish.

d.

davek wrote:

> And it's worth noting that they only wear them for sporting use because
> the rules insist on it

A fair few roadies out for a good fast hack rather than being in a
formal race seem to wear them (though plenty of others don't, mind).
But there is a very obvious divide between cycling for sport, which
involves lycra and drop bar featherweight bikes with no extras, and
sometimes helmets, and cycling for transport, which involves everyday
clothes and roadsters with mudguards and chaincases, and almost never
involves helmets.

Pete.
--

Peter Clinch wrote:
> A fair few roadies out for a good fast hack rather than being in a
> formal race seem to wear them

True, but I think that's partly because they feel they are expected to
- or they assume that because they have to wear one when racing, they
must be A Good Thing (because shurely the Powers That Be wouldn't
implement a rule without good solid reasons behind it? I mean, when
have they ever done that before...).

And yes, you do see increasing numbers of Pro riders insisting on
wearing a helmet even on those rare occasions when they aren't required
to by rules, but I doubt any of them have really thought the matter
through or taken the trouble to find out just how little protection a
cycle helmet really gives them.

And when you are going at the speeds the Pros go at, the level of
protection offered by a cycle helmet is negligible at best - I know I
don't need to tell /you/ all this, Pete, but one has to wonder why the
Pros aren't better informed. After all, it's only their livelihood.
You'd think they might show some level of interest in the equipment
they use to do their job.

d.

davek wrote:

> Pros aren't better informed. After all, it's only their livelihood.
> You'd think they might show some level of interest in the equipment
> they use to do their job.

Yebbut they probably believe that a radially-spoked wheel has a harder ride
than a tangentially-spoked one...

Every establishment needs an opposition.

in message <[email protected]>, David Bentley
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Since having a nasty fall on a level crossing and putting a nice dent
> in my helmet, I am no longer a reluctant helmet wearer.
>
> My wife told our neighbour about the incident and she told her that a
> few years ago one of her friends came off her bike on a family ride,
> no
> other vehicles were involved, hit her head on the road and died. She
> wasn't wearing a helmet.
>
> My head hit the ground with quite a force and I'm sure I would not
> have managed to carry on with the ride had I not been wearing a
> helmet. Its all well and good practising how to fall and get your head
> away from the
> ground, but in fall such as the one I had it happens so quickly there
> is no time to think.

I note your comments. I have recently inspected the helmet of an
acquaintance who fell on a cattle grid in a similar accident to your
own. The helmet he wore definitely worked - it was heavily crushed in
the area above the left ear, but had not split or broken - so it had
certainly absorbed a lot of energy. This sort of accident - fall from
the bike at relatively low speeds, with no other vehicle involved - are
the sorts of accidents which helmets can be expected to help with; and
that's the reason I do sometimes wear one off-road.

And, of course, no-one's immune to falls on wet metal surfaces. It's a
feature of the roads I ride that I too cross cattle grids (and very
occasionally rails), and although I do so carefully I don't have magic
powers to keep me upright. As you observe, metal surfaces (and ice,
which is similar) can give rise to very sudden falls, where you have no
warning and no time to react.

But.

Simple falls from a bike are unlikely to cause severe injury. We've
evolved over millions of years to fall and to survive it. Yes, of
course you can get bruising, cuts, concussion and so on, and none of
these are pleasant; but they're equally not particularly life
threatening. And falls of this kind are rare - I haven't fallen off a
road bike at any speed in the past thirty years, and though I've fallen
off mountain bikes probably over a thousand times I've never hit my
head at all and haven't had an injury requiring any medical attention
as a result of a bike accident since I was thirteen (two stitches in
the ball of my thumb).

The fact is that there are many more people in Britain with 'a helmet
saved my life' stories than there are cyclist casualties in the average
year in Holland, where virtually no-one wears a helmet. Falls are very
frightening and thus very memorable; the amount of damage done to a
helmet in a simple fall is considerable and looks dramatic. From these
things people are inclined to believe that without the helmet they
would have been severely injured. In most cases they simply would not.

And in the cases where severe injury is a serious risk - high energy
impacts, for example with a moving motor vehicle or on a very high
speed descent, or onto a very sharp or jagged edge - helmets won't help
much at best. They're simply not very strong; they aren't designed to
mitigate that sort of impact. Indeed, there is some evidence that they
may aggravate such impacts.

The fact that you can't get away from is that the places where fewest
people wear helmets are also the places where cycling is safest, and
that as helmet wearing increases so do KSI rates. I don't pretend to
know why this is; but what is certain is that helmets do not, overall,
increase safety. And the inescapable conclusion must be that, since
helmets observably do help in incidents such as yours, there must be
balancing classes of incidents where helmets make things worse.

So it seems to me that when considering helmets one has to put to one
side entirely the 'helmet saved my life' stories. While some of them
may be true, we know from the statistics that there must be an at least
equal number of 'helmet caused my death' stories which aren't being
told. The utility of helmets is not in preventing major injuries, but
in mitigating minor ones. Given that, the choice of whether to wear a
helmet or not boils down to a choice to endure low level discomfort
over a long time in order to protect against higher levels of
discomfort over shorter times, and for me that trade-off just isn't
worth it.

Iraq war: it's time for regime change...
... go now, Tony, while you can still go with dignity.
[update 18 months after this .sig was written: it's still relevant]

davek <[email protected]> wrote:
> Peter Clinch wrote:
>> A fair few roadies out for a good fast hack rather than being in a
>> formal race seem to wear them

> True, but I think that's partly because they feel they are expected to
> - or they assume that because they have to wear one when racing, they
> must be A Good Thing (because shurely the Powers That Be wouldn't
> implement a rule without good solid reasons behind it? I mean, when
> have they ever done that before...).
>
> And yes, you do see increasing numbers of Pro riders insisting on
> wearing a helmet even on those rare occasions when they aren't required
> to by rules, but I doubt any of them have really thought the matter
> through or taken the trouble to find out just how little protection a
> cycle helmet really gives them.
>
> And when you are going at the speeds the Pros go at, the level of
> protection offered by a cycle helmet is negligible at best - I know I
> don't need to tell /you/ all this, Pete, but one has to wonder why the
> Pros aren't better informed. After all, it's only their livelihood.
> You'd think they might show some level of interest in the equipment
> they use to do their job.

Yebbut racing cyclists are presumably more likely to be involved in
a vrash involving only other cyclists, in which case a helmet might
help. A cyclist riding alone is presumably more likely to be
involed in a crash involving a motor vehicle, in which case a helmet
is unlikely to help.

--
Nobby

wrote:

>Since having a nasty fall on a level crossing and putting a nice dent in
>my helmet, I am no longer a reluctant helmet wearer.

You've canned the stupid thing because it made you careless, then? ;-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:36:11 +0100, Peter Clinch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>A fair few roadies out for a good fast hack rather than being in a
>formal race seem to wear them

They also wear team replica kit. Part of the fancy dress.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 11:02:52 +0100, "Dave Larrington"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Yebbut they probably believe that a radially-spoked wheel has a harder ride
>than a tangentially-spoked one...

Or that the hub hangs from the spokes...

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> They also wear team replica kit. Part of the fancy dress.

Indeedy. Part of the distinction I saw in the NL between cycling and
sports cycling. One is an everyday thing for normal people doing a
normal thing in normal clothes, the other is a special occasion
warranting special kit to differentiate it from the former.

Pete.