Helmet Debate

Robin Long

Guest
Another reason why you should always wear a helmet. Whilst out for a short
ride yesterday I popped into Woolies for some Jelly Babies. As I came out I
went for the wrong door, i.e. the closed one, not the open one. Fortunately
I had my helmet on as, head down, I nutted the glass. Didn't I feel an
idiot?

I also think it's a good idea to wear a helmet whilst riding your bike, too!

Robin.

Robin Long wrote:

> Another reason why you should always wear a helmet. Whilst out for a short
> ride yesterday I popped into Woolies for some Jelly Babies. As I came out I
> went for the wrong door, i.e. the closed one, not the open one. Fortunately
> I had my helmet on as, head down, I nutted the glass. Didn't I feel an
> idiot?
>
> I also think it's a good idea to wear a helmet whilst riding your bike, too!

You ride your bike round Woolies?

I'm impressed.

John B

On Wed, 12 May 2004 20:16:44 +0100, "Robin Long"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>I also think it's a good idea to wear a helmet whilst riding your bike, too!

Assuming you pay the same amount of attention to where you are going,
quite possibly. Me, I prefer to look where I'm riding so find a
helmet rather less necessary.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

On Wed, 12 May 2004 20:50:14 +0100, JohnB <[email protected]> wrote:

>Robin Long wrote:
>>
>> Another reason why you should always wear a helmet. Whilst out for a short
>> ride yesterday I popped into Woolies for some Jelly Babies. As I came out I
>> went for the wrong door, i.e. the closed one, not the open one. Fortunately
>> I had my helmet on as, head down, I nutted the glass. Didn't I feel an
>> idiot?
>>
>> I also think it's a good idea to wear a helmet whilst riding your bike, too!

>You ride your bike round Woolies?
>
>I'm impressed.

I think this is the walking helmet we've discussed in the past.

> On Wed, 12 May 2004 20:16:44 +0100, "Robin Long"
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <[email protected]>:
>
> >I also think it's a good idea to wear a helmet whilst riding your bike,

too!

> Assuming you pay the same amount of attention to where you are going,
> quite possibly. Me, I prefer to look where I'm riding so find a
> helmet rather less necessary.
>
> Guy
> --

Slightly more than a trace of irony!

--
cheers

Rich

Robin Long wrote:
> Another reason why you should always wear a helmet. Whilst out for a
> short ride yesterday I popped into Woolies for some Jelly Babies. As I
> came out I went for the wrong door, i.e. the closed one, not the open
> one. Fortunately I had my helmet on as, head down, I nutted the glass.
> Didn't I feel an idiot?
> I also think it's a good idea to wear a helmet whilst riding your
> bike, too!
> Robin.

Rather than providing us with "Another reason why [we] should always
wear a helmet" what you provide is actually a reason why you are in need
of more than just a helmet - something to go inside it might help.

Roger

--

<[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

>Another reason why you should always wear a helmet. Whilst out for a short
>ride yesterday I popped into Woolies for some Jelly Babies. As I came out I
>went for the wrong door, i.e. the closed one, not the open one. Fortunately
>I had my helmet on as, head down, I nutted the glass. Didn't I feel an
>idiot?
>
>I also think it's a good idea to wear a helmet whilst riding your bike, too!

While your helmet is demonstrably effective for walking into
stationary doors which is (impact speed about 3mph to 4mph, kinetic
energy of the head ~8 Joules) about equivalent to dropping your head
onto a hard floor from a height of 6 inches.

But it fails to help as the collision speeds increase.

--
Cheers,
Euan

> On Wed, 12 May 2004 20:16:44 +0100, "Robin Long"
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <[email protected]>:
>
> >I also think it's a good idea to wear a helmet whilst riding your bike,

too!

> Assuming you pay the same amount of attention to where you are going,
> quite possibly. Me, I prefer to look where I'm riding so find a
> helmet rather less necessary.
>
> Guy
> --
> May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
> http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
>
> 88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington University

I do look where I'm going. Unfortunately the motorist who drove onto the
roundabout and wiped me out two years ago wasn't looking. I know what your
views are but I am glad I was wearing a helmet on that occasion. The old
one was split down the middle. For every plus, however, there's a minus.

P.S. the original post was only a joke as an antidote to the serious debate,
which has been overdone, and not meant to fuel it.

Just go out and ride, whatever you wear.

Robin.

On Thu, 13 May 2004 18:56:18 +0100, "Robin Long"
<[email protected]>:

>I do look where I'm going. Unfortunately the motorist who drove onto the
>roundabout and wiped me out two years ago wasn't looking. I know what your
>views are but I am glad I was wearing a helmet on that occasion. The old
>one was split down the middle. For every plus, however, there's a minus.

Happened to me. My protective headgear, a Milletts knitted acrylic
balaclava, did its job perfectly and Saved My Life [tm] - with the
additional benefit that, not being made of flimsy polystyrene foam, it
also survived the experience and is still usable today :)

>P.S. the original post was only a joke as an antidote to the serious debate,
>which has been overdone, and not meant to fuel it.

They don't have sarcams on Betelgeuse and Ford frequently failed to
notice it unless it was pointed out to him...