help! road pedals and shoes

teamwimp

Jul 28, 2010
Hi,
I'm after some advice. I have a Specialized sirrus and use MTB shoes and Shimano SPD cleats and pedals and find them very convenient and comfortable. After reading an amount of articles I felt that I could get more out of the bike if I fitted road pedals and used road shoes so I bought some Northwave road shoes and Look freearc pedals and Look delta cleats. Good news - while pedalling I felt good and seemed to be better connected to the bike, unfortunately the good news ends there. Normally (with the old pedals/shoes) when pulling away I clip one shoe in and pedal the other foot unclipped till I get going then clip in - new pedals are dreadful the minute I try to pedal unclipped my foot slides off. Similar things happen when stopping - I generally like to unclip both feet just in case but then can't pedal.

Just how do people get used to this and what am I doing wrong? Is there a pedal which has a flatter back than the ones I've bought? What about Keo instead of delta or SPD-SL?

Read more: http://www.cyclingforums.com/cycling-equipment/477756-help-road-pedals-shoes.html#ixzz0v0zlnN4v

I also made the transition from MTB SPD pedals to road Look pedals about 7 months ago. I don't know if the Freearc pedals have a different feel than Keo (which is what I have) but I assume the basic mechanism is the same; really it's not the pedal that's the issue, it sounds like you're just in the learning curve of adjusting to a new style of pedal. I've been there - you will improve.

I do much the same as you when I get rolling - especially when at a traffic light, if for some reason I don't clip in right away, I'll pedal while my right foot is unclipped briefly until I can safely look down to flip the pedal upright and clip in. Meanwhile I'm hard-pedalling with my left foot (clipped in) to keep my momentum through the intersection (or whereever else I'm restarting). It really is easier to restart if you keep one pedal clipped in when stopped -- I'm left-footed, so I feel stronger and more coordinated keeping my left foot clipped in, and I imagine most righties do the opposite.

With practice you'll be able to clip your second foot in before you even finish a pedal stroke with the other foot 90-95% of the time.