Help with training,getting focused again

low2pro

May 19, 2011
Hey everyone i'm new to the forums, great to be here.

I live in the hills and all of my training consists of hills, there is almost nothing flat. I do loops, hill repeats etc. But i'm curious about how to get more out of my training in a short time frame, as i'm still in school and need to get home to study as well (around 2 hours training max a night). With my endurance hill repeats i do it on a fairly steep road that is about 7km long and has a flat spot in the middle for about 200m. How effective is that? or how could i improve to build muscle quicker. As i usually do 4 repeats on that every 2nd week night and it takes about 25 minutes each climb up. I have noticed a great improvement in my muscle and endurance since i have been doing this, should i just continue?

I also do short repeats on a really steep hill thats about 500m then it loops around for another 500m then back up. My coach tells me to stay out of my seat (quads). I can only do 3 at the moment but every time i do it, i use less energy and will be doing 4 next time etc. (on the nights i'm not doing endurance)

Is there any improvements i can make or should i just keep going as i do, because i am noticing that im building strength but yeh. Sorry for the long as explanation, excuse my vocabulary and lack of cycling knowledge as i have been training for less than a year now.

P.S I do about 80km+ on a Saturday/Sunday and have one day rest, sometimes more. I am joining a club next year as there is no point now, i am top age now and it is a waste of money for half a year, i will be getting 2 day licenses though.

Thanks everyone.

This is really a question for your coach to answer. I fear that I might give you advise that I think is reasonable, but might undo certain things that your coach is helping you work on, in other words, I might be doing more harm than good. A second reason to trust your coach over anything that you might read here is that your coach knows you and knows your riding history (at least I hope he does). He has probably seen you riding and knows your strengths and weaknesses. He is eminently more qualified to help you than someone that you don't know from who knows where, who does not know your riding history and has never seen you ride.

Now if you did not have a coach, I would tell you to keep up what you are doing as it seems to be working, but since you have a coach, listen to what he is telling you.

Reactions: low2pro
Originally Posted by kdelong .

This is really a question for your coach to answer. I fear that I might give you advise that I think is reasonable, but might undo certain things that your coach is helping you work on, in other words, I might be doing more harm than good. A second reason to trust your coach over anything that you might read here is that your coach knows you and knows your riding history (at least I hope he does). He has probably seen you riding and knows your strengths and weaknesses. He is eminently more qualified to help you than someone that you don't know from who knows where, who does not know your riding history and has never seen you ride.

Now if you did not have a coach, I would tell you to keep up what you are doing as it seems to be working, but since you have a coach, listen to what he is telling you.

Thanks for that info. That is probably the best answer i was hoping for, i was just curious if other people would know better but your right. Now i just gotta keep my motivation up to get out on these cold nights before work.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by lanierb .

2hrs/day is plenty. What are you training for?
Next year i'm joining a local club. There is no point joining now as i am top age and will get smashed. Even my coach has said just train till next year. I am looking into the Olympic side of cycling after i leave school. Yes i know it's a big goal, but i am going to make sure i achieve it. For now school comes 1st though.

Once i leave school i am going to train even harder and see where cycling will take me.