How do you lose muscle mass?

cdaleguy

Nov 13, 2004
I'm not sure on %'s but I am carrying too much muscle mass (a mesomorph, if you will) to become a serious cyclist. How can I lose muscle mass, but at the same time, get lean? is there a way to transform my body from a mesomorph to ectomorph?

Cycle long and hard enough and you'll lose muscle. There may be a delay of a few months but eventually the muscle will drop. However, if you have a tendency to do shorter bike sessions that muscle may well cling on to your body. You need to get into 4 hour rides at a time and do no weight work at this point in time.
Lance Armstrong had a similar problem and is also mesomorphic. It was tough for him to shed his upper body muscle and, so far as I know, he does no upper body weight-work - just legs.
Myself I don't have your problem and I can shed muscle easily. I lose muscle mass before I lose fat.

cdaleguy said:
I'm not sure on %'s but I am carrying too much muscle mass (a mesomorph, if you will) to become a serious cyclist. How can I lose muscle mass, but at the same time, get lean? is there a way to transform my body from a mesomorph to ectomorph?

Carrera, Lance lost much of his musculature as a result of his chemo treatments. He was broader and more heavily built back in his triathalon days.

cdaleguy said:
Just lay in bed for the next 1-2 months. Don't move if at all possible.

Doctor Morbius said:
Carrera, Lance lost much of his musculature as a result of his chemo treatments. He was broader and more heavily built back in his triathalon days.
I beg to differ. I also went through chemotheraphy and lost very little. Plus, a few days after surgery, he was on his damn bike again. Chemotheraphy wasn't that bad, actually. I had the same as Lance. I actually found out about 2 weeks prior to his announcement. Granted, mine didn't spread to my brain, as it did his, but I had the same treatment, minus the bleomycin supplement.

I think I'll just take mattv2099's advice.

Is there a way to turn bulky muscle in to more long, fast-twitch type?

Easy. Work out hard and don't eat enough. Bodybuilders preparing for contests also lose a lot of weight (mostly fat) shedding pounds but they do in fact lose some (or in some cases a lot) precious muscle as well. Check out www.gettinglean.com. It's a good site if you can navigate around all the advertisements. I'm like Carrera. If I shoot ball (basketball) for a while I swear I sweat off my pecs instead of fat around my waist. :mad:

Easy stop riding. I haven't riden for a couple of months due to ankle problems and I have gone from 71kg to 67kg. That would be roughly 2 kg per leg. If I can keep up the inactivity I should drop to 63 kg.

You're right, though sometimes genetics are involved.
When I trained in Russia there were guys in the gym who lifted very heavy but had wide hips, big waists and asses like rhinos. However, one particular athlete had a slim waist, smaller hips and fairly low body fat. Yet he lifted the heaviest weights in the gym. Obviously he had brilliant genetics so heavy training didn't make him gain fat as many people do.
Myself I found that when I lifted heavy I also got a fat ass and a big gut, while gaining peaks in strength. However, when I did cardio to reduce the fat, I lost strength and muscle. There's no way I can be aerobically fit and lean while holding on to my former muscle. I lose some 30 per cent minimum.
If I want to excel at cycling I know I have to drop all unecessary muscle mass. You only need enough muscle to power the bike at maximum performance but superfluous muscle mass is just a dead drag and slows you down - even more so in the wind.

Meek One said:
Easy. Work out hard and don't eat enough. Bodybuilders preparing for contests also lose a lot of weight (mostly fat) shedding pounds but they do in fact lose some (or in some cases a lot) precious muscle as well. Check out www.gettinglean.com. It's a good site if you can navigate around all the advertisements. I'm like Carrera. If I shoot ball (basketball) for a while I swear I sweat off my pecs instead of fat around my waist. :mad: