How long can you ride no-handed? And why do you do it?

Originally posted by velomanct
max gear is a 52x14(thats what i rode.) rollout max is 26ft for one revolution.
there were times when the pack was mantaining 55-60km/h on the flats because of a tailwind. lots of riders got dropped just because they couldnt spin fast enough, i didnt. yeh, i got a flat tire within the first 10k of the two longest road stages. i guess i hit some bad pavement and pinch flatted. and once youre off the back, there is no getting back on unless you got some real strong guys helping. so i chased those 2 days, finishing 15-30min back, and missed the time cut the second time.
also, i had trouble climbing stairs that week, each day got twice as worse as the day before. i can't recover for jack.
i remember before i got my flat tire the last day, we had really strong crosswinds and heavy rain. the pack was strectched out and push into the left gutter. i remember there were 18 wheelers park on the left side of the road and we were riding inches from smashing into them at over 30mph. the choice was, take a chance colliding with the 18wheelers, or ride in the wind and get dropped imediately. scary stuff. brutal

The good old days of racing with a 52x14 and pedaling your **** off to go faster. Almost miss those days. The days of racing in Ontario with a pack of 100-120 JR's. Then moving to B.C., switching from pure speed & flats to mountains. Having JR packs so small that we rode with Cat 3-4. The feeling of being 18 and spinning twice as fast as older riders nd dropping some of them. This is still true now. I refuse to give up my spin. Notice this everytime I ride with a large pack. Most are in 52, while I spin my 39......

Memph

l read that riding/rolling no hands with bum off the seat will test your core stablity, more likely test your sanity !

should have a never let go button.
30 years on a bike I don't let go, ever, nor do I close my eyes or demand trucks to give way. Done some dumb dangerous and fool hardy stuff on my bike, always had a grip on me bars !

i can sprint on rollers at a cadence of 190 no hands, can also do a full 2 laps of a 47 degree track no hands, can no hand track stand on level ground and have done it with only one leg on time. still have to try the no handed out of the saddle bit but that is now on my list.

Originally posted by velomanct
i was up there in canada this past summer at the tour de l'abitibi in val d'or. im sure you know of it, its the biggest junior race in north america(outside of worlds). i had some bad luck there, 2 flat tires which caused me to get eliminated on the 6th day.
for the ITT i was 108th out of about 180! not horrible but close.
i wont be there next year, i enter espoir in 2004.
on a side note, my vertical jump is 15inches, considered very low.
just something to make the 240rpms more unbelievable. haha.
i am a very odd rider.

What was crazy was the guys who (at l'abitibi) would sit up and ride no hand in the middle of the pack. Here we are, doing 30mph with a pack of 160 some odd guys; and they just sit up and ****/change clothes/ talk/ stretch/ eat. I watched one of the Rabobank guys actually accidently rub tires with the guy in front of him while riding no hands and just acted like it was no big deal.

As far as me, I just never thought about it. I just sat up and rode the first time I tried it no hands. Haven't tried it in a pack yet, on the side- but not it.

Originally posted by xcgeek
What was crazy was the guys who (at l'abitibi) would sit up and ride no hand in the middle of the pack. Here we are, doing 30mph with a pack of 160 some odd guys; and they just sit up and ****/change clothes/ talk/ stretch/ eat. I watched one of the Rabobank guys actually accidently rub tires with the guy in front of him while riding no hands and just acted like it was no big deal.

As far as me, I just never thought about it. I just sat up and rode the first time I tried it no hands. Haven't tried it in a pack yet, on the side- but not it.

i hear that the euro races are much more of a contact sport then cycling is here. so they are use to doing crazy stuff and have good handling skills. i could sit up in the pack but i know others wouldnt like it. those euros are funny

Riding no hands... One day I just did it.

Its good to stretch the back. I have a bit of a hip tilt that means I lean the bike slightly and sit only on half the seat to go straight.

that's annoying.

I dont think I'd do it in a pack. The smallest ripple & I'd be toast.

I could ride no hands for ages on my mountain bike, even round corners. But, I haven't had the balls to try it on my bike now. I'm afraid I'll fall off and I would look like an idiot!

No problem riding around corners or straight.Really helps if you need to scratch or something.I hit a concrete parking divider once looking back at a girl. Me and the bike separated for a short time. Sort of embarassing with all the scraps and blood but I finished my ride.I just put on the"I meant to do that look" and rode on.

Have always been able to ride with no hands, and never understood my bike-friends that could not. I think I go hands free on just about every ride I do, helps with my back.

These shenanigans did cost me once when a buddy of mine and I were racing no handed on our mountain bikes. We were screaming down some single track, neither of us willing to grab the bars and we ended up in a tangled mess of bike and briars.

As for the dude who goes no handed on the rollers, I tried that once and shot my bike through the garage wall.

Well it's been 30 some odd years since I rode a bike, but last year I decided it was time to lose weight so I got serious and bought a good road bike. After a couple of weeks riding I tried the no hand and was succesfull. It just came back to me from my teenage days when my friends and I used to do stunts on our Spider bikes. I actually would get up to max speed and stand on the Top Bar with the seat clamped between my legs and coast.

I do find it easier when pumping the pedals. It just give you better balance. The only problem I have though is the discomfort of the small seat when all my weight is upon it.

I'm trying to learn not to do it now....my new Velomax wheels really seem catch the crosswinds!

G'day,
I rode for 35 Km a couple of years ago with no hands. It's no problems steering, swerving in and out of cones, etc. I learnt as a kid and have just kept on going.
I actually keep it up as I find it a good rest on the lower back, being able to sit up straight for a while. On longer rides, I probably ride 1/4 of the time with no hands, although it is harder to do so on the hills.

best of luck
Richard

Surely the coolest stunt is pulling a decent wheelie. I've yet to see a road race victor end a race on one wheel!

I know it's not easy on a road bike but I've seen it done.
Anyone here capable?

Originally posted by guised
Surely the coolest stunt is pulling a decent wheelie. I've yet to see a road race victor end a race on one wheel!

Anyone here capable?

i can i can wheelie for long i can whellie around turns and stuff like that even one handed its not that much harder on road bikes
just its hard to stay on the seat especially it its really high man its almost scarey id be goin like 25mph on on wheel and its kinda freaky and ive only done it that fast once all the other times i had to go to the hospital with gashes in my arms and legs so im done wheelieing on road bikes but i have done it

Originally posted by guised

Anyone here capable?

Well. I remember Robbie McEwen (Rabobank days) used to do wheelies often when crossing the line. But not when he won...though.

As for the dude who goes no handed on the rollers, I tried that once and shot my bike through the garage wall. [/B][/QUOTE]

It took some time to get it, but once you do, you can eat, sleep, drink, and even read a book as long as you can see the tip of your front wheel. I once went off the rollers with both hands, but i was watching an action movie and turned right just as the guy driving the car in the movie did, went out the living room, through the dining room, and caught myself inthe kitchen doorway. never sprint and watch a movie.

Originally posted by taras0000
As for the dude who goes no handed on the rollers, I tried that once and shot my bike through the garage wall.

It took some time to get it, but once you do, you can eat, sleep, drink, and even read a book as long as you can see the tip of your front wheel. I once went off the rollers with both hands, but i was watching an action movie and turned right just as the guy driving the car in the movie did, went out the living room, through the dining room, and caught myself inthe kitchen doorway. never sprint and watch a movie. [/B][/QUOTE]

oopps, haven't mastered the sleep thing yet. my bad.

Originally posted by taras0000
i can sprint on rollers at a cadence of 190 no hands, can also do a full 2 laps of a 47 degree track no hands, can no hand track stand on level ground and have done it with only one leg on time. still have to try the no handed out of the saddle bit but that is now on my list.
That's pretty freaking impressive. How did you do the 190 cadence without bouncing ? What sort of gearing ?