How many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment?

dhk2 said:
SB, hope you don't believe that pro-NRA BS article about the low murder rate in my home state.....anyone who lives here knows differently. The evidence shows that the ridiculously easy to access to cheap weapons we enjoy doesn't make our state safe...in fact, the statistics show just the opposite.

The stats I just looked up for 2007 has Alabama's murder rate at 8.9/100K residents, the third highest in the nation. The New England states of MA and CT, with tight gun controls, have a homicide rate about 1/3 of ours....ie, 2.9 and 3.0/100K.
In the interest of full disclosure, here are the stats on % Firearms Ownership and Violent Crime Rates in all the 50 states. Find Alabama just below the average for US VCR.

FOvsVCR06.jpg

... and while we're at it:

ICVS2000.jpg

As I have posted before some states report crimes in different ways so these stats are skewed.
If some breaks into a home commits rape and murder it is reported as three separate crimes.
In California I believe it is reported as one. Reporting methods vary.

Yeah, I know. Stats showing increased CCW rates decrease crime, or that violent crime went up after UK/AUS banned guns, are all misleading.

You can only trust the stats that prove guns are bad, bad, bad.:rolleyes:

You're my little clockwork clown.

And you're my little *****. An ugly, festering one at that.

Go put some chalk outlines around those bodies. It's the only thing you're good for.

Here you go, dumbass...get to work banning bows and arrows. Moron.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,509353,00.html

Woman Shot by 30-Inch Arrow on New York City Street

NEW YORK — A woman who was shot in the stomach with an arrow on a New York City street is recovering at a hospital.

The 30-inch arrow struck Denise Delgado-Brown, of Yonkers, on Sunday afternoon as she was dropping off parishioners at a nursing home in the Bronx.

She is listed in stable condition after undergoing surgery at St. Barnabas Hospital.

Police say the fiberglass arrow with yellow feathers is the type used for practice or hunting. They believe it was shot at random. No arrests have been made.

Friends say Delgado-Brown works as a Yonkers Traffic Court officer.

One just for trollbaby.

Home invasion ends in shooting
Injured intruder run over by accomplices

By Gavin Lesnick (Contact)
Sunday, March 15, 2009

Awakened by the noise of a group of men kicking in his apartment door early Sunday morning, Derrick G. Murray rushed to retrieve the assault rifle he keeps in his bedroom for protection.

Only seconds later, he pulled the trigger, shooting one of the intruders in the leg and sending all of them fleeing from the residence they had just invaded.

Speaking Sunday afternoon on the front steps of the South Side house where it happened, Murray said his thoughts at that moment turned to his four children and how inaction might mean missing out on their futures.

"I just felt like 'I can't die right now,'" Murray said. "I got too many kids, I got too much to lose. I can't die right now."

The man Murray shot — identified by police as 26-year-old Derek Clark — was being treated Sunday in the intensive care unit at St. Mary's Medical Center, authorities said. The hospital released no information on his condition.

In addition to the gunshot wound, investigators said Clark was run over by his accomplices as they fled the scene in a gray Lincoln that had been parked outside.

Murray and two next-door neighbors said the accomplices actually ran over Clark twice before speeding off.

Unable to speak with Clark on Sunday, detectives still were trying to identify the other intruders and investigating the reason they targeted Murray's apartment at 421 E. Riverside Drive.

Murray told officials he did not recognize any of them and didn't know of anything that would have brought them there.

Evansville Police Department detective Sgt. Larry Nelson said Murray acted well within his rights in firing on Clark.

"He had a right to protect himself," Nelson said, adding no permit was necessary for Murray to keep the gun in his home.

It happened about 5 a.m. when Murray was the only one in the apartment, which sits on the southwest corner of Riverside and Elliott Street.

The children — who range in age from 2 to 7 — happened to be gone, visiting Mississippi with their mother, Murray said.

Had the children been home, Murray said he would have responded to the intruders with even greater force.

"It would have been a death sentence," he said. "You don't do that to a man when he's with his kids at all. It would have been much uglier. That gun held 60 rounds and I would have shot all 60 at them."

As it was, Murray said, he retrieved the gun and heard the men break through the door.

They claimed to be police officers but peppered their speech with slang and curse words that, along with the lack of lights outside, quickly convinced Murray they weren't.

The man identified by police as Clark was brandishing a handgun.

"Once I seen he had a gun and he was in shooting range, I just shot him," Murray said.

Invaders flee

The intruders immediately fled the premises, including Clark, who Murray said crawled out the door and into the street.

Murray waited a minute and went outside, pointing the rifle at the men as they tried to help Clark into the Lincoln, Murray said.

Seeing the gun, the men dropped Clark and got into the car. Murray said they drove over him once and then backed up and ran over him again before fleeing south on Elliott Street.

Murray said seeing that scene play out was what affected him the most.

"I don't feel sorry for him, but it's just ugly how they ran him over," he said.

The same was true for Murray's next-door neighbors on Elliott Street.

Katherine Vessels, 28, lives there with her boyfriend, their three children and her brother.

She didn't know anything of the circumstances that started the incident, but she saw the end of it.

"My brother woke me up and said there's a guy dying in the yard," she said, adding she then watched as the vehicle ran over him. "... I was shaking. It was tragic."

Questions linger

The reason the intruders targeted Murray's home was still under investigation Sunday. Nelson said officials aren't sure if the men "had the right house," but that investigators still needed to speak with Clark to learn more.

Murray said he didn't know, either, but that maybe they spotted his car — a 1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass outfitted with new features — and believed its owner might have money.

Whatever the case, Murray said Sunday he won't let it affect him. He said he's convinced the men on the loose won't return after what happened. After spending much of his day speaking with investigators, Murray said he was thankful to be alive and looking forward to reuniting with his family when they returned home later Sunday.

"I'm still breathing," he said. "I feel good. And I can see my kids when they pull up in a couple hours."

CAMPYBOB said:
Home invasion ends in shooting
Injured intruder run over by accomplices

By Gavin Lesnick (Contact)
Sunday, March 15, 2009

Awakened by the noise of a group of men kicking in his apartment door early Sunday morning, Derrick G. Murray rushed to retrieve the assault rifle he keeps in his bedroom for protection.

Only seconds later, he pulled the trigger, shooting one of the intruders in the leg and sending all of them fleeing from the residence they had just invaded.
Well dang, it looks like so-called "assualt rifles" CAN be used for self-defense.

Note that only TWO news articles appeared on this Defensive Gun Use, both local Evansville media, and that one trimmed the "assault" rifle out of the story. No national media picked up the story.

Wait - you don't thing there is a bias against guns in the media ... do you?

Here's another one for the festering pile of **** that loves to run his mouth with mindless drivel. Thanks for keeping the topic in the limelight, moron.

At least the water poleece showed up to take a report.

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Orlando, Florida

From December 25, 2008 WESH:
ORLANDO, Fla. - Police continue to search for two men who tried to grab a woman’s purse as she walked toward the Fashion Square Mall on Tuesday. A third man was shot and arrested, apparently by a bystander who saw the robbery, police said Wednesday. Willie Keys-Fairclough, 29, who is hospitalized with minor injuries, was arrested in connection with the incident.

The incident began about 8:30 p.m. on Tuesday when the woman got off a LYNX bus and walked to an ATM to check her balance. She then continued toward the mall.

“She felt people come up to her, maybe one, maybe two,” Sgt. Barb Jones of the Orlando Police Department said. “They tried to grab her purse...She resisted. She started yelling, that's when everything started unfolding." One shopper, who saw the men with guns, got his own.

“You had a citizen engage the suspects,” Jones said Wednesday. “There were some rounds fired."

The suspects ran across the street, and police said they found one man hiding behind a dumpster. The man had been shot in the leg but didn't know it.

The man, later identified by police as Keys-Fairclough, is charged with armed robbery and aggravated assault with a gun. Two other suspects remain on the run.

Butthurt, just like trollbaby! I hope not being able to findi his ass with both hands didn't stop the water poleeceman from filling out his report. Libtard moron.

Walhalla, South Carolina

From December 23, 2008 UpstateToday.com:

WALHALLA — The Oconee County Sheriff’s Department incident report lists Donnie Murphy as the victim, but it appears the suspect arrested for the burglary of Murphy’s house might have gotten the worst end of the deal.

Sheriff’s deputies responded Sunday afternoon to a burglary call at 163 Murphy Drive in Walhalla and learned that Murphy had shot a burglar in the buttocks. Kirby Alan Ridley was later brought into custody on burglary charges at a Ranger Road home in Walhalla and sent to Oconee Medical Center for treatment of his wound.

The report summary states Murphy told officers he was in the bathroom when he heard a noise near his kitchen. He then walked out of the bathroom, retrieved his .22 pistol from his closet, and discovered a man standing in front of his fireplace. After telling the burglar to stop, the subject allegedly reached into his pocket as if to get a gun or weapon and began walking back towards the kitchen, at which point Murphy shot him.

Deputies located Kirby, called an ambulance and followed him to Oconee Medical Center.

So THIS is how steve got to be so nutless. No balls...how appropriate.

Deltona, Florida

From December 15, 2008 WFTV channel 9:

DELTONA -- Bullets went flying in Deltona early Sunday morning, after the victim of a chaotic home invasion fought back, apparently shooting one of the suspect's in his groin as he fled the crime scene.

It started just before 1:00am, when three men burst into Julio Blanco's home on Lackland Drive and forced him, his mother and girlfriend to the ground and robbed them. Volusia County sheriff's deputies said the suspects pistol-whipped Blanco and grabbed a safe, loaded it into their dark Ford Explorer and took off.

During the escape, the suspects and Blanco started firing shots back and forth in the middle of the neighborhood. The other victims and neighbors called 911 and Sgt. Thomas Dane quickly spotted the vehicle and initiated a pursuit. Deputies said the suspects crashed within two minutes and the vehicle rolled over and came to rest at Ft. Smith Boluevard and Outrigger Drive.

Deputies found four people in the vehicle. Suspected driver, 17-year-old Brandon Prather, was transported by ambulance to Orange City's Florida Hospital Fish Memorial and released. The passengers, 30-year-old Adam Salgado, and two teen girls were taken into custody for questioning.

A third scene emerged at 1:30am, when deputies received a 911 call reporting a man suffering from a gunshot in a front yard on the 2100 block of Puerto Rico Drive. Deputies identified him as Patrick Lauby, 33, and determined he suffered the gunshot wound during the course of the robbery he was involved in.

Deputies weren't sure if Lauby accidently shot himself during his escape or if Blanco hit him during the gun fight. Lauby was airlifted by Sheriff's helicopter to Halifax Health Medical Center in Daytona Beach.

Deputies questioned all five suspects before determining what charges to file. So far, they've charged Prather with home invasion with a firearm, aggravated battery and fleeing and eluding. They believe Prather is the suspect who pistol-whipped Blanco.

As of last check, Lauby was still at Halifax Health Medical Center being treated for his non life-threatening gunshot wound. He is being charged with home invasion and aggravated assault.

Adam Salgado, 30, was also charged with home invasion.​

Libtard moron wealth redistributionist full of fail.Oak Park, Illinois

From December 22, 2008 Chicago Breaking News:

Oak Park police said a would-be armed robber got more than he bargained for when he attempted to steal a leather jacket from another man in the near-west suburb Sunday night.

The owner of the leather jacket, after being approached, shot the 25-year-old in the face, the arm and the pelvis near North Lombard and North Avenues, police said.

The man underwent surgery for his wounds Sunday night at Stroger Hospital in Chicago and is expected to survive, Cmdr. Clement Harbour said.

Police are seeking the gunman, and no charges have been filed in the case as of Monday, Harbour said.

And what would life be if not for another story with a happy ending? Another libtard moron gets to meet the late, great Chuck Darwin!

Better get busy, trollbaby! There's another chalk outline for you to do and you can bring your offishul poleece clipboard out to take the historical report. Moron.

Anniston, Alabama

From the Huntsville Times of December 25, 2008
Robbery suspect shot dead, alleged accomplice wounded

A would-be robber was shot dead overnight Wednesday and his alleged accomplice was wounded after they attempted to rob the owner of a gas station near Anniston.

Calhoun County Sheriff Larry Amerson said the gun-toting suspects and the owner got into a shootout around 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at Fuller's Oil Company on U.S. 431.

Amerson said 21-year-old Takeem Pope of Anniston appeared to have died of a single gunshot wound. The other man, 19-year-old Blake Jackson, also of Anniston, was shot in the arm.

Amerson declined to name the owner, but said he acted in self-defense. He was not injured. Authorities said charges are pending against Jackson, who was taken to UAB Hospital for treatment.​

Ah what the hell...one more for my libtard moron cycling pals!

Darwin award candidate is granted not-so-rare chance to help prove the theory of devolution.

Phoenix, Arizona

From KPHO of December 24, 2008
Intruder killed in burglary attempt

A Valley resident shot one of two intruders in his Phoenix home Tuesday night, police said.

According to police, two burglars broke into the man's home, and the homeowner grabbed his gun and shot one in the chest.

The intruders fled, though the injured one was dropped off at a nearby Circle K, police said.

Officers said they are still searching for the second intruder.​

Hey, Dec. 24 was a great day for Chuck Darwin! The waster poleee did show up later to take a report and chalk outline the corpse.

With any kind of luck, they also got to use their dictionary. Might help correct the article's racial and ethnic overtones, eh?

Hitch up those baggy cycling shorts over your liberal fat ass,trollbaby.

Tulsa, Oklahoma

From the Tulsa World of December 24, 2008
Intruder killed in burglary attempt

A Tulsa homeowner shot and killed a teenager who was breaking into his house early Tuesday, police said.

Shortly before 3 a.m., three people broke into a home in the 1300 block of North Irvington Avenue, Tulsa Police Cpl. Mark Shelton said.

Many of the 15 to 20 occupants were awake, including the home- owner, who heard the break-in and got his gun.

Two of the suspected burglars, including one who was armed, were moving through the house when they encountered the homeowner, Shelton said.

Gunfire was exchanged. The homeowner shot one of the intruders twice in the chest, and the homeowner's wife was shot in the abdomen.

The wounded intruder, Cody Ray Payne, 15, left the house but died in the front yard, police said.

The homeowner's wife was hospitalized but is expected to recover.

The other two suspected burglars ran from the house and were not found, Shelton said. They were described as black, in their late teens and wearing hooded sweatshirts and dark baggy pants.

The victims, a Hispanic family, did not want their names released, said Capt. Ryan Perkins.​

cbjesseeNH said:
Yeah, I know. Stats showing increased CCW rates decrease crime, or that violent crime went up after UK/AUS banned guns, are all misleading.

You can only trust the stats that prove guns are bad, bad, bad.:rolleyes:
Interesting stats all right, but let's compare actual murder rates, not all violent crimes which cover a lot of non-gun-related territory. My comparison was between the murder rates in my home state of AL (with liberal gun and CCW laws) versus the states of MA and CT, states who I believe have tighter gun laws (and much lower rates of gun ownership according to your chart), as well as much lower murder rates than AL.

To me, this limited slice of data shows that more gun ownership doesn't seem to lower homicide rates in a state. I can't explain the variations, but the notion that "when everyone is armed, we'll all be safe" just doesn't ring true to me. Iraq may or may not be a valid illustration of this point.

Note, none of the above means I am against gun ownership rights for responsible adult citizens in the US. The challenge of course is sorting out the responsible and stable among us, and then keeping the weapons away from all the rest.

85kg.

Fatass. Only 13 pounds from a Clydesdale. One donut away from critical mass.

You might want to knock off the Twinkies and beer.

In the mean time, get cracking on the next chalk outline, fatass. Go work your lard off with this Darwin Award Candidate. Moron.

Indianapolis, Indiana

From the Indianapolis Star of December 22, 2008
Man fatally shot during robbery identified

Police have identified the man who was fatally shot while trying to rob a Westside grocery Sunday night and the employee who shot him.

Miguel Mondragon, 29, Indianapolis, shot Christopher Barreto, 23, also of Indianapolis, after Barreto reportedly pointed his gun at a woman with a baby, said Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Sgt. Matthew Mount.

Barreto walked into El Michoacana Supermarket at 6240 W. 34th at 8:50 p.m. brandishing a handgun and herded all the customers into one part of the store, Mount said. When the robber pointed the gun at the woman and her child, Mondragon shot him, using a gun belonging to the store's owner.

Barreto was taken to Wishard Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Police are calling the shooting justified, but evidence will be turned over to the Marion County prosecutor's office for a final determination, Mount said.

Hut, hut, hut, hut, hut!

Darwin stikes again so trollbaby gets another 'hard' workout as he tries to bend over and chlk outline the body without dropping his donut.

Libtard criminal wealth redistributionist deader than a liberal's brain.

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

From South Carolina Now of December 12, 2008
Suspect shot to death during apparent home burglary in Myrtle Beach

A home invasion leaves one man dead and another is on the loose.

County police say, around 9 last night, two suspects broke into a house on Burcale Road in Myrtle Beach.

Police are investigating the shooting death that occurred at Courtyard 1 Apartments on Burcale Road, that’s near the Clay Pond village community.

They say, the owner was home at the time of the robbery and shot one suspect while the other took off.

Police also tell News 13, that neighbors living next to the burglary victim’s apartment heard gun shots and a round of gunfire went through their apartment wall.

When police arrived at the house they say, the owner was just putting down his gun when they saw one of the suspects lying on the ground dead with two gun shot wounds.

The deceased suspect is, 22-year-old Lamont Lee Reed Durrell of Georgetown.

Police took the burglary victim into custody but was later released.

They say he was assaulted but not hurt during the altercation of the home invasion.

Sgt. Robert Kegler of the Horry County Police Department confirms that no charges will be filed against the home owner.

“Every situation when it comes to a home owner defending himself inside of his is different” says Sgt. Kegler, “There’s a lot of things we need to do before our case is closed”.

Police are looking to charge the run away suspect with burglary, armed robbery and assault with intent to kill.

They are asking for the public’s help in locating the suspect who escaped the scene before police arrived.

They hope a description may help them lead to that home invader. He is described as a white male in his twenties about 5ft 10’, thin built, wearing all dark clothing, a dark hat and a blue bandanna over his face. He is possibly from Georgetown as well.

Anyone with information on the identity of the suspect is asked to call the Horry County Police Department at 915-5350 or 915-TIPS.

Hut, hut, hut, hut, hut, hut!!!

Bullets are cheap in Am-er-eee-ka! Sing it with me now!

No chalk outline to keep our lardass ex-water poleeceman fit,but at least ghe gets to haul out his report pad and run a quick spellcheck.

Another libtard moron go on a lead diet!

Miami-Dade, Florida

From CBS4 of December 22, 2008
Man Uses Would-Be Robber's Gun To Defend Himself

Miami-Dade Police say a resident turned the tables on three home invaders who tried to rob him in Southwest Miami-Dade Monday night.

Out of the three armed men that tried robbing the man, police say one ended up hurt and was dropped off by the other two accomplices at Jackson South Hospital.

They say three Latin males with thin builds attempted to rob the man at Southwest 152nd Street and 93rd Avenue, but they got into a struggle with him instead. The victim was somehow able to get the gun and shot at one of the would-be robbers, critically injuring him.

Police say they fled in a blue or green Chevrolet Astro van, which they used to drop off the injured man at the hospital before taking off.

The man in the house only suffered a bump to his head.

Police are looking for the other two men involved.​

Hut, hut, hut, hut, hut, hut!!!