How many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment?

Joe West said:
I bet if you or your family were one of the 300, you'd likely think differently than you do now.

Steve... it's simply a matter of perspective. You likely view me as over-cautious and I view you as under-cautious... both viewpoints are valid and appropriate given our different backgrounds. Were you to have grown up in the US and I to have grown up in Australia... we would likely be switching positions on this topic.

Joe
If you or one of your family were one of the victims of a plane crash or a car crash...you would probably wish that additional safety measures were taken to ensure their survival. You might, for example,wish that parachutes and training were provided for everyone who travelled by plane.
You might also argue, if you or none of your relatives had ever died in plane crashes, that the cost of providing it was unacceptable. Equally, you could argue that as it was so unlikely that many people would die in plane crashes, the social (as opposed to the financial) costs were too high. After all...who wants to get on a plane when most of the passengers are so frightened of crashing that they are wearing parachutes...even though it is unlikely that the plane will crash and it's unlikely that a parachute will save them?
What is the actual probability that you will need and be able to use a handgun to defend yourself against a potentially lethal attack?
Usually, when the USA's high murder rate, and the high murder rate with handguns, is mentioned...the pro-gun lobby jumps in and says that these are mostly drug dealers shooting each other and that the murder rate of the USA is otherwise comparable to that of other Western countries.
That being the case ...why then would citizens of the USA have a greater need than any other comparable country to own handguns for self defence against a threat that is no greater than that in comparable countries?
What is the likelihood that such a weapon will end up being used in either a criminal or otherwise irresponsible manner?
FTR Joe, I was born in Australia and I'm still an Australian citizen...but I spent most of my childhood in a country where there was a real war against terrorism and where the armed forces and police confiscated weapons daily from some of our neighbours. You think you need a gun in suburban Arizona? You think Arizona is so much more dangerous than Aceh, or Zamboanga or Rabaul or Honiara or the Malay/Thai border or Borneo or the Straits of Malacca or the Sulu Sea? Save your pennies and get out a bit. The world just isn't as dangerous as you obviously believe it to be. It's a sad thing that you either believe that you are likely to be attacked or that you feel so unconfident about life in general that you feel the need to carry a weapon.
Relax,chances are it won't happen and if you can't accept that a certain amount of risk of dying is inherent in the enjoyment of life....then don't ride a bike, if you ever did.
It's a pretty scary business ,riding a bike.You might fall off, you might get hit by a vehicle and you might die. But it's pretty unlikely. Most of the time we enjoy it, and we enjoy it so much that we discount the risks. We think that enjoyment of life is more important than fearing it
Sell the Jeep. Get a bike. You just might be a little less scared of the world if you have a little taste of fear every day, and like the rest of us...learn to overcome it.

Joe West said:
I bet if you or your family were one of the 300, you'd likely think differently than you do now.

Steve... it's simply a matter of perspective. You likely view me as over-cautious and I view you as under-cautious... both viewpoints are valid and appropriate given our different backgrounds. Were you to have grown up in the US and I to have grown up in Australia... we would likely be switching positions on this topic.

Joe
No. I view you and anyone else who wants to de-regulate the ownership of lethal weapons as irresponsibile and selfish.I am not and have never been opposed to the responsible ownership of weapons.
Had I grown up in the USA I would most likely have been more vehemently opposed to the lack of regulation of weapons, since I would have had a more personal stake in the matter.

Hi Steve,

It seems that your passion for the subject doesn't allow you to discuss the material without attacking the presenter of the material... I find that somewhat unfortunate since it appears you have the skillset to be able to debate but not the self control to do so without being intentionally abrasive so I'll leave you to debate with those on this board who can tolerate such behavior.

Good luck with your adventures in cycling!

Kind Regards,

Joe

stevebaby said:
No. I view you and anyone else who wants to de-regulate the ownership of lethal weapons as irresponsibile and selfish.I am not and have never been opposed to the responsible ownership of weapons.
Had I grown up in the USA I would most likely have been more vehemently opposed to the lack of regulation of weapons, since I would have had a more personal stake in the matter.

Joe West said:
Hi Steve,

It seems that your passion for the subject doesn't allow you to discuss the material without attacking the presenter of the material... I find that somewhat unfortunate since it appears you have the skillset to be able to debate but not the self control to do so without being intentionally abrasive so I'll leave you to debate with those on this board who can tolerate such behavior.

Good luck with your adventures in cycling!

Kind Regards,

Joe
Get back here and try to argue your case.
I'm not finished with any of you.
http://mt0.cyclingforums.com/images/attach/jpg.gif
Not yet.Not ever.

According to the U.S. Center for Disease Control you have a one in 500,000 chance of dieing in a bike accident. The chance of dieing in a gun related bike accident is less than one in 14,922,210 and that's assuming there were actually 20 gun/bicycling related deaths for the year (That is their minimum and the results of the cross related search suggest there were not 20 incidents). Paranoia is a harsh mistress...Nut Jobs.

reallyoldpunk said:
According to the U.S. Center for Disease Control you have a one in 500,000 chance of dieing in a bike accident. The chance of dieing in a gun related bike accident is less than one in 14,922,210 and that's assuming there were actually 20 gun/bicycling related deaths for the year (That is their minimum and the results of the cross related search suggest there were not 20 incidents). Paranoia is a harsh mistress...Nut Jobs.
Stop confusing the issue with facts.

cheapie said:
until we can keep guns out of the hands of criminals, we shouldn't try to keep them out of law-abiding citizens.
The thread isn't about whether you should be allowed to own or carry. The question is whether you carry while riding. Not a single post thus far has suggested that your gun be taken away from you.

I see a lot of discussion about how terrible our cities are here in the US (and in some cases from folks who would not get within a mile (or a hundred miles, or whatever) of this or that city - to which I reply that if you aren't familiar with the territory, then, your only knowledge of it is what you hear on the sizzled up evening news - hardly an accurate picture.

I have cycled in LA, Philly, Detroit. You can do so safely (whether you choose to carry or not).

Caruso

Doctor Morbius said:
Frankly I find your comments offensive. Most people here have not created anything of the sort of what you've described. Most people here get up and go to work and love their kids just like anywhere else. Most people here do not want to be confrontational and abhor violence just like people elsewhere.

Unfortunately, there is a criminal element here that our law enforcement and judicial system is unable to or unwilling to do anything about.

You've obviously never lived in Detroit Michigan, Gary Indiana or Atlanta Georgia. C'mon over and go for a bike ride in those cities alone and see why we feel the need to protect ourselves and our families.

Don't paint us all with the same brush to be a bunch of gun toting yahoos. We're not.

I bet plenty of folks in Detroit, Gary, and Atlanta find your post equally offensive. You knocked LA in a previous post when you have never even been there (according to your post, you would go near the place).

I have ridden in Detroit and LA (ALONE). In each instance, I was out seeking pleasure and that is what I found. I am guessing that none of the gun toting posters here are contemplating a solo ride through the most crime-prone, violent areas of those towns (most includes you and me). If you aren't stuck living in such a crime-infested area, then, why would you point your wheels in that direction to take your morning or evening solo exercise ride?

I don't care whether you choose to carry or not, but, I am guessing that most of the carriers here have never encountered a situation where having the weapon really made a difference while riding their bike.

FWIW, I do own four fire arms - one is a muzzle loader from way back when. I don't even carry water on my bike, but that is my choice.

It amazes me that the simple question of WHETHER we choose to carry while riding results in a bunch of defensive posts about some liberal conspiracy to deny us our right to carry or own (I do not mean to suggest that your post is among them).

This thread is proving to be an interesting read.

Caruso

stevebaby said:
No what you advocate is the victimization of innocent people.
Approximately 80 million gun owners have killed no one and the estimates run in the millions for self defensive uses but you would rather these people would have been victimized instead of defending themselves.

If regulation stopped the criminals than gun owners would be for it too but it only affects the lawful not the criminals.

A gun control advocate begins to come to the realization that gun control is not having the positive effect he thought it would.
www.sundayherald.com/oped/opinion/display.var.1217778.0.dunblane_made_us_all_...
Gun control advocates told gun owners don't worry registration will not lead to confiscation. Well it did in Germany and it has in Australia, the UK, Canada, the states of California and New York etc. Gun control advocates lied but of course we knew that.

stevebaby said:
If he was a drug addict he would have had more than a trace of marijuana or another drug of addiction. He did not.
Read the article. The father (who, presumably had passed all the criminal record checks, psychological tests and character assessments common to most police forces), killed his own child, his 3 stepchildren and then himself.
Read it again.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/03/27/MN11348.DTL
Merced massacre -- dad kills 4 kids, self / Ex-wife finds grisly scene on return from walk
You have the wrong article again. You sure have trouble getting things right.
Only 2 children were killed.

Even Grannies are carrying guns

414381137_056b409974_o.jpg

mikesbytes said:
Even Grannies are carrying guns
If it happened in Australia the granny would be charged for various firearm offences and attempted murder, even if the four men were crooks and were stealing her car, or for that matter, if the men were armed and she had prevented her own murder.

She may get off the charges if she had a very expensive lawyer, then again she may be imprisoned if she couldn't afford one; but she would be arrested and charged, and her guns would definitely be confiscated.

Carrying a gun in Australia is very dangerous, actually brandishing one will land you in deep siht with 'the full force of the law'. Different cultures, different laws. It is nice to know that in Florida people have a choice in the matter.