How Much Do You All Weigh?

RowRunBike said:
I am 5'10 1/2 and weigh 171 lbs. I used to be a pre-elite lightweight rower back in the day and I raced at 155 lbs. I can climb pretty well at my current weight, I wish I could get back down to the high 150's but I just cant. I have pretty huge lat/back muscles from my days of rowing. I'm sure the extra weight and wind resistance arent helping. Are there any other rowers out there turned cyclists?

I wouldn't exactly say I've "turned cyclist" but I have picked up cycling. I was a heavyweight so my bodytype hasn't transfered amazingly well to cycling. Who did you row for and when?

26 YO male, 6' 1", I'm usually around 135 but for some reason I've been at 128-130 for the last two weeks.

OOHH NO! Not the Lbs and inches thing again!!! Hey America.. wake up, it's 2004, pre-history is over. Time to change towards the metric system has passed long time ago. The entire globe is using the metric system. Get rid of the foot, the inch, pound, inch pounds, etc etc. And while getting rid of all of that, get rid of that idiot in the white house too.

5'9" 155. people keep telling i look too skinny but all i can think about is that picture of Tyler after the tour with his shirt off. When i get that anorexic looking it's time to fatten up.

Carrera said:
Hi!
I got the answer to a question I was nervous of investigating the other day, namely my weight. I finally jumped on some pay scales, stuck a coin in and got my reading.
I haven't been dieting or anything and eat as much as I want (excluding junk food) and my weight is exactly 185 pounds. Strictly speaking, that's a little heavy for a cyclist but I feel O.K. at this weight. I think I must have slimmed down from 200 to 179 but I decided to put a little weight back so so I'm at 185 and stable. My energy level felt good on my ride today and I'm climbing fairly well at my present weight.
My question, though, is how much do you all weigh and what would be your ideal weight? Also how has manipulation of your bodyweight affected your cycling (i.e. losing some pounds or putting a few pounds back on).
Finally what do you all think is the average weight for a cyclist of normal height?

Hi, interesting subject, weight. I myself am 220 pounds and only 5ft 8". I have been working up towards the 100KG barrier for a year, doing very heavy weights such as squats and bench press etc. I have always been heavy boned, but am now doing bench press=265, squat =310 etc.
Guess what I cannot cycle for more than 10 minutes! I am now on a slow weight reduction programme with emphasis on keeping leg strength. I also am on the lookout for a decent recumbent bike that can take my weight.......the aim is to maintain strength and be able to cycle the 20 mile each way to work trip......wish me luck!

menglish6 said:
I wouldn't exactly say I've "turned cyclist" but I have picked up cycling. I was a heavyweight so my bodytype hasn't transfered amazingly well to cycling. Who did you row for and when?

I rowed for Dayton from 1998 to 2002 we row the Dad Vail and around the midwest. I also rowed for Riverside Boat Club in 2001. What about you?

andyc16us said:
Hi, interesting subject, weight. I myself am 220 pounds and only 5ft 8". I have been working up towards the 100KG barrier for a year, doing very heavy weights such as squats and bench press etc. I have always been heavy boned, but am now doing bench press=265, squat =310 etc.
Guess what I cannot cycle for more than 10 minutes! I am now on a slow weight reduction programme with emphasis on keeping leg strength. I also am on the lookout for a decent recumbent bike that can take my weight.......the aim is to maintain strength and be able to cycle the 20 mile each way to work trip......wish me luck!
Hey man you don't need a recumbant, just get a well equipped MTB, they're a lot more fun and versatile. I've got the heavy boned problem as well, actually your story sounds really familiar, I'm 5'10" was 250 now 220. I was lifting got my max bench to 325 and my squat to 615 but I was in pain a lot so now I'm dropping weight, cutting fat and trying to keep as much strength as I can. I pedal to work everyday (Monday -->Friday) and on the weekends for about 30 to 50 miles a day. If I can do it, you can too. Keep your head up and stay focused.

5'8" & 119 pounds, drinks lots of black coffee to generate a decent shadow.......

ButtHead

the barron said:
Hey man you don't need a recumbant, just get a well equipped MTB, they're a lot more fun and versatile. I've got the heavy boned problem as well, actually your story sounds really familiar, I'm 5'10" was 250 now 220. I was lifting got my max bench to 325 and my squat to 615 but I was in pain a lot so now I'm dropping weight, cutting fat and trying to keep as much strength as I can. I pedal to work everyday (Monday -->Friday) and on the weekends for about 30 to 50 miles a day. If I can do it, you can too. Keep your head up and stay focused.
so what you intending to do, cut your calories by around 500kcal, 250kcal depleted through the onset of exercise 250kcal from food intake? or are you gonna go from a simple approach, along the lines of oxy-androlone, Sorry that was my attempt at humour, since this is the first thing that springs to mind when i hear the term bodybuilding or weightlifting used.

1.8 m tall and weigh 72 kilos, but I'm getting bad on the bike after a twoand a half year layoff. Injury then an addition to the family resulted in a priority change.

6 ft 1, now 33 years old, currently 200lbs (2 months and a bit into my resumption of cycling after a gradual 5 year decline culiminating in a 2 year total layoff - now passed 2000 miles.).

I had reached the excruciating level of 220 lbs. But, when I raced in the 1990's I was 175-180 lbs, and felt very comfy at that weight. I couldn't exactly "climb" like the small guys, but sometimes, if they were having an off day, I could hold my own. This was in Switzerland incidentally, so the competition really did know how to go up mountains.

Hopefully, I will one day see 180 lbs again. Mustn't rush. It seems there are "plateaus" with weight loss as with speed and form when training.

1.83cm, 69kg, 4.3% body fat.
I guess this is fairly low, but I've been around 5% since many years and I feel great.
A question I've never got an answer is: is there any chance that in a very long event one with such a low fat % could run "out of fats", in other words... no more fuel?
I know the pros, for ex. during the tour, end up loosing -burning- some muscular mass and have to do some weight training during the winter to recover.

-- I forgot I'm 22 years old.

6'2" 160lbs 35 years of age. Tall and Skinny but with Seksee legs...so my gf tells me :)
Been as low as 150 while cycling and up to 185 as a lazy slob.

Quote:

"A final concern is Indurain's weight. For most of us, this would mean
fretting about the effects of extra "ballast". But Miguel is reportedly concerned that his current weight, which has fallen to 77.5 kilos, may be several kilos to light for optimal power output."

This is something I feel applies to me. During Summer, I found that the more I rode, the more weight I lost. Initially I moanded I didn't feel I was losing weight quickly enough but then I felt alarmed by how much weight I had suddenly started to drop.

It seems to me that people have different body types and I seem to have the reverse problem of everybody else. I feel I can drop too much weight after a season of riding. Neither do I feel the same power when this happens, my joints tend to ache and I don't feel as healthy or robust. It amazes me that some people have to diet.

Back to Indurain: Some sources quote his weight was around 90 k.g. and it was for that reason nobody believed he could go as far as he did in racing. The guy was over six feet tall, of course, so a good proportion of his mass would have been bone. However, have you ever noticed Indurain's legs? Basically, they're like pistons and appear amazingly strong for a cyclist. Sure, the guy was lean for his height but his appearance suggests real overall power.

In an interview I have, Indurain suggests his real speciality was time-trialing and his weight made him struggle somewhat in the mountains. Even so, he still dropped far lighter riders in the hills on many occasions. He was far heavier than Armstrong or Ullrich as well.

But anyway. I feel my ideal weight must be about 185 lbs, although I may be up to 190 at this present time. Sometimes I like to ride with a reserve that I feel gives me more energy. My power is fine in the hills but I tend to weaken after an hour or so in the saddle and have been known to burn out if I accelerate too fast, too soon.

Finally, finding your ideal weight is crucial in my opinion. Too heavy and you drop in performance. Too light and you may lack power.

I'm about 5'11", 145 pounds, 41 years old. I started biking in 1988, and weighed about 165 at the time. I wasn't trying to lose weight, but I started losing a steady 2 or 3 pounds a year. When I hit 142, I started consciously trying to gain weight, which I did - a little.

I think I'd like to weigh around 150, though gaining 5 pounds might hurt my climbing a little - not that my climbing ability is anything to write home about anyway.

Rob

5' 11 and 73kg (161 lbs approx.). Plenty of sit-ups and crunches, but still no decent six pack!