How much does size matter

hilaryworton

Aug 17, 2007
I'm getting back into road bikes after suffering for several years away on mountain bikes. I've been trying to do my research on brands/models etc but have got completely baffled by information overload. Can anyone give me some simple advice on 2 basic questions? Firstly how to decide what size to buy? One shop is trying to get me on to a 46cm and another is adamant I need a 50cm. I'm 5'7" (170cm). I've tested a couple of the smaller size bikes which felt OK (but what do I know as it's been so long since I've riden a road bike). My 2nd question is whether to go with a double or a triple? Again, it seems to depend who you talk to (and what stock they are trying to shift - or am I being too cynical?) I need all the help I can get on the uphill parts of a ride and thought that a triple would be the way to go but I've also been told that a compact double would be just as effective. Any ideas to assist the bemused would be gratefully received!

hilaryworton said:
I'm getting back into road bikes after suffering for several years away on mountain bikes. I've been trying to do my research on brands/models etc but have got completely baffled by information overload. Can anyone give me some simple advice on 2 basic questions? Firstly how to decide what size to buy? One shop is trying to get me on to a 46cm and another is adamant I need a 50cm. I'm 5'7" (170cm). I've tested a couple of the smaller size bikes which felt OK (but what do I know as it's been so long since I've riden a road bike). My 2nd question is whether to go with a double or a triple? Again, it seems to depend who you talk to (and what stock they are trying to shift - or am I being too cynical?) I need all the help I can get on the uphill parts of a ride and thought that a triple would be the way to go but I've also been told that a compact double would be just as effective. Any ideas to assist the bemused would be gratefully received!
Just as a starter, to give you a ball park idea of size and fit, go to one of these two websites and plug careful measurements into their fit calculators:

www.wrenchscience.com
www.competativecyclist.com

This isn't an exact formula, but will at least give you an idea of what parts of the frame you can measure for "apples to apples" comparison. A starting point and way of educating yourself. And, don't hesitate to bring in a tape measure (get one w/ inches and cm). I have asked shops to actually measure certain things just so I could make a decent comparison. They never acted like that was too odd.

Second, the way people measure frame sizes varies quite a bit, and the two general types of frame geometry - "compact" (aka sloping top tube) and "traditional" (aka horizontal top tube) - will sometimes have very different size numbers for essentially the same overall frame fit.

Finally, there's no substitute for a really good person at a good shop that will explain this stuff to you. Really, you shouldn't have to do all this background stuff yourself, a competent bike sales person should walk you through it and explain why the differences in recommended sizes.

As for double vs. triple, I'm a big triple fan, but only you can decide if you need it or want it. I feel it gives me more range (very low "low" gears and very high "high" gears). I don't agree with a common opinion that ths front shifting is not as smooth as a double- my Ultegra triple shifts very smoothly. The weight difference is virtually meaningless (in my opinion of course). There is also a difference in "q" factor (width).

That said, you can get very close to the low gearing with a compact double - not there but close. If you're strong and dont' have really steep hills, it might do fine. Since they almost always have a smaller "large" front chain ring than a triple or a normal double, there is no way you can get the same high gearing. Again, close, but not there. If/when i buy a new bike, I'll take a serious look at the gears I have vs. what will actually be possible on a compact double. It could be I go with the double, but if there's any question, I'll go with a triple again because it works so well for me.

Again, a good, unbiased bike shop should help you. But they're surprisingly difficult to find imho, thus your need to educate yourself a little.

Good luck.

I won't get into the triple v/s double debate, but I will say that fit is extremely important. I went from barely being able to get up steep hills (and having lots of knee issues) to placing high in races based on my hill climbing ability and it all changed with getting a proper fitting bike.