How much does your bike cost?

EnigManiac said:
I use four different bikes depending on the reason for the ride. My regular commuter is a 2004 Fuji Shangri-la beach cruiser ($350.00 Cdn). I also have a customized trike for shopping ($700.00 Cdn). I also have a customized 20" chrome lowrider ($900.00 Cdn, with all the accesories) and I now have a Giant Stiletto chopper ($600.00) both for showing-off, pleasure biking and sometimes commuting to work.
Why in hell would you pay that much for all of that **** all of the bikes you bought are for grandmas or for kids you should be in a mental institution:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Mike_Rides_Red said:
I bought a Trek 1500 for $1000 a year ago and thought it was a high end bike until i went to my first race. Everyone had bikes $3000 plus and made my bike look low end to all these carbon Beauties. So how much is your bike?
Just treated myself to a new ride:
Pinarello Opera Frame (Dedacciai 16.5 EOM Steel) with carbon fork and seatpost.
Full Campy Record 10 Gruppo (carbon derailleurs, alloy cranks)
Campy Proton Wheels (Hutchinson Fusion Comp tires)
3TTT Zepp stem and Prima bars.
Selle San Marco Aspide Saddle
Speedplay X2 Pedals
Retail Price $4,600. Built it myself for $2,800.
:cool:

jabike said:
I recently traded in my $700 road bike on a $2000 LeMond Buenos Aires. A car driver paid for it, though, when she mangled my bike while making an illegal left turn. Words like willful negligence with complete disregard for life and property coupled with some shouts of "OUCH!!" helped them decide that I really did need a better bike. I would have been happy just having my old bike repaired until the first words out of her mouth were, "You bike riders shouldn't be on the road!" It was only then that I decided that an upgrade was in order.
Great story and nice job on the upgrade! Apparently she didn't have a "share the road" bumper sticker on her car.
:D

RaleighRider said:
I would much rather be a 5000-dollar rider on a 1000-dollar bike than the other way around. You are the engine. So I wouldn't (and don't) worry about my harsh aluminum framed bike with full ultegra.

If someone has a seriously expensive bike but can't ride well I think they provoke distain. Cars are for posers bikes are for go'sers. The most important part of a bike are the legs connected to the pedals and the spirit driving those legs. Personally I don't think I would never pay for DA components unless I was a pro rider, no matter how much money I had. If your not a pro I think all DA level stuff is just JEWELRY. I’ve never been one for jewelry.

I think it's just overcompensating for something. And it’s pretty pathetic.

It’s not about the bike; it’s about the RIDE.

:eek:

I don't see anything wrong with treating yourself to a nice bike. I work hard, I'm a dad and I ride whenever I can (5,000-6,000 miles a year). I'll never be Alessandro Pettachi (I do race on occasion), but I can still enjoy my Record 10 equiped Pinarello. Does that make me a poser?
:cool:

William Henry said:
Why in hell would you pay that much for all of that **** all of the bikes you bought are for grandmas or for kids you should be in a mental institution:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Not worth the effort of comment or rebuttal. Have a nice day.

PeterF said:
It sounds like you have a great collection. Keep riding!:cool:
Thanks. They're all great rides in their own, unique ways: comfortable, functional, safer and versatile aside from dripping with style and charisma. And, anything that compels you to ride as often as you can, has to be a good thing. :D

Too much!!! I learned the hard way. Bought a USPS Trek frame a couple of years ago and built it with Campy Record Carbon including the Record carbon cranks and HED Alps wheels. Cost me a bit over $4000. When I first built it up, I got a lot of oohs and aahs but now there are tons of people out on rides with lots of carbon. In the end, it didn't make me faster...maybe just a little more comfortable. I've since purchased a CAAD 7 Cannondale equipped with Campy Record and use it as my training and racing bike (I've also got a fuji track bike that I use for fixed gear training, a steel framed Merckx frame and a Giant XTC mountain bike). The Trek normally only comes out for an occasional poser ride with the boys. My next project is to have the Merckx painted in Motorola colors and build it up. Some people collect cars, I like to collect bikes.

Congrats to the thread starter, you need attitude to ride on the road and seems some of the posts have more than enough.
Have three bikes now, bought one new , found one and the other a 2nd hand buy.
Haro mtb $350 new, basic but fun ride, on sale in the shop , had a test ride felt so comfortable so bought it on the spot- impulse buy but no regrets. Off road tracks and places I’ve found on it are priceless. Also found a few new muscles along the way as a good change to the ones used on the road bike.
Quintana Roo Kilo with DA, 2nd hand for $400, perfect fit for me comfortable and light tri / road bike for half day group rides and training. The fit and setup is everthing and the groupo is less significant to me and once you’ve ridden a light bike its mentally rough to go back to a heavier one. :eek:
The found bike is a Panasonic 27inch from japan and is my shopping trolly with rack and mudgards and too cheap to steal, hopefully. Allows me to appreciate the qualities of the QR more fully, ease, speed and precise handling and component performance. Enjoy your wheels, keeping fit and healthy.

William Henry said:

NEVER REPLY WITH SUCH LANGUAGE!!!!

There are other ways to get your point across.

William Henry said:
I ended up paying 2800 for my kestrel talon i am in love with that bike because when I bought it i thought the word of it and i still do. If you are going to pay that much for a bike you need to like everything about it:cool:

I thought you hated the velomax's you had on there:rolleyes:

William Henry said:
hey dan i think that you better like everything about that bike because you thought that you loved the shiki but i guess that i was wrong:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
"I better like everything about that bike" :confused:

I liked the shiki (Nishiki) but it was not my size.:confused:

You must have been wrong:confused:

My name on here is cyclist14:D

Shreklookalike said:
I'm still puttin around on an el-cheapo Schwinn mountain bike that my wife bought at Wal-Mart. :D Hoping to move into a decent road bike next year.

WALMART!!! i think i just threw up a little inside my mouth:eek:

i ride a yellow colnago crystal that ran me about 1,800USD's. its a steel bike with shaped tubes and all lugged construction. the fork and headtube lugs are chromed. its about the dullest colnago paint scheme ive ever seen but it gives it a nice classic look. i put mostly campy veloce components with open pro rims and eggbeater sl pedals. tires were grand prix 3000s and had a fancy san marco ti saddle on but i switched it to a 10 year old vetta saddle that is in my mind the best saddle ever made other than a brooks. its also got a 3ttt colnago stem with ernesto colnago pantographed onto it. all in all im very pleased with it and dont think ill ever part with it.

jabike said:
I recently traded in my $700 road bike on a $2000 LeMond Buenos Aires. A car driver paid for it, though, when she mangled my bike while making an illegal left turn. Words like willful negligence with complete disregard for life and property coupled with some shouts of "OUCH!!" helped them decide that I really did need a better bike. I would have been happy just having my old bike repaired until the first words out of her mouth were, "You bike riders shouldn't be on the road!" It was only then that I decided that an upgrade was in order.

next time ill think of that before i kill them and drive their cars into the nearest lake:D

I have three bikes - 2 road and 1 mountain.
  • road bike #1 = $600
  • road bike #2 = $4k
  • mountain bike = $350

I noticed in some of the posts that there are opinions along the lines that Dura-Ace grade components are jewelry and that money should not be wasted on expensive bikes or parts. Well, obviously, you are entitled to your opinion, but it is just that. Some people actually ride their expensive bikes which are equipped with top-of-the-line components. I am always amazed by the disdain that some people have for what other people own. If you don't want an expensive bike, fine. Why make a big deal about it. Ride what you want to ride, but don't criticize somebody else for the choices they made. I worked long and hard and waited patiently for one of my bikes and I feel as though I earned it. I do care what other people think but I am wise enough to not let it affect my judgement or influence my decisions.

I have ridden mostly cheap bikes throughout my life. I've always bought new and used them up, had them stolen or had them broken. I had a windfall come in and I got to order my dream bike. $5837.59 full custom Calfee Tetra Pro. It's all about fit. I'm over 50 now and like riding but long rides beat me up. I have a long stretch on my current Giant OCR2 2003 model in spite of the very short stem I have on it. My full custom bike is set up to fit me like a glove and be a rock stable, long distance, bullet-proof bike. That's my ride and I'm waiting patiently, somewhat obsessing over it until it arrives from the factory about 9 weeks hence.

Insight Driver said:
I have ridden mostly cheap bikes throughout my life. I've always bought new and used them up, had them stolen or had them broken. I had a windfall come in and I got to order my dream bike. $5837.59 full custom Calfee Tetra Pro. It's all about fit. I'm over 50 now and like riding but long rides beat me up. I have a long stretch on my current Giant OCR2 2003 model in spite of the very short stem I have on it. My full custom bike is set up to fit me like a glove and be a rock stable, long distance, bullet-proof bike. That's my ride and I'm waiting patiently, somewhat obsessing over it until it arrives from the factory about 9 weeks hence.

Sounds exciting. Its funny that you have to get older before you are in a position to get a nice bike. Now I am the old slow guy that the young guys make fun of. ;)

I've been riding the past few seasons on a beat up '90 or so Cannondale R500, and finally built up my first new road bike back in the fall.

Frame: TST (It sounds like an off brand, but they build for Dean, so it's basically an El Diente with different dropouts)
Fork: Carbon with aluminum sterrer from Nashbar
Components: Campy Veloce 9s Tripple
Wheels: Veloce hubs w/ 32h Mavic CXP22 rims

The whole thing cost me about $1500, which with my current job is a lot. The wheels make it a bit heavy, but it's drop dead gorgeous, fits me perfectly, and has an amazing ride (especially compared to the old 3.0 Cannondale).
I don't have any problem with people spending $5k on a bike. What's the point of working hard to make money if you aren't going to enjoy it? Bikes are relatively cheap compared to a lot of other luxury addictions. Besides, the more people buy Record grouppos, the faster the technology is going to trickle down to those of us in the middle range:).