How to cycle for weight loss

> Well, it's been a few years since then, but here's how I did it:
>
> 1) Eat a purely vegetarian diet, vegan if possible.

What? The most vegetables I eat are in my tomato sauce for spaghetti ;)
Seriously I don't understand how people can like without meat.

> 2) Don't own any kind of motor vehicle.

Already done. Started commuting by bike today, will actually save on
bus passes, great thing.

> 3) Don't have a regular job or any daily commitments.

Well wish it was that easy ;)

> 4) Keep your perspective limber by taking LSD once a week or so.

I never touched drugs and never will. Too bad, most drug addicts are
really slim ;)

Daniel Crispin <[email protected]> wrote:
>> 1) Eat a purely vegetarian diet, vegan if possible.

> What? The most vegetables I eat are in my tomato sauce for spaghetti ;)
> Seriously I don't understand how people can like without meat.

oh, hey, it's pretty easy, thanks. & with BSE gettin' easier all the time.
bon apetit!
--
david reuteler
[email protected]

In article <[email protected]>,
"Daniel Crispin" <[email protected]> writes:

>> Sheldon Brown has an article on 'The Evils of Coasting'; it's
>> an interesting read. I'd post the link here, but I'm offline
>> right now. But at least it's easy to find.

I thought it was easy to find, but upon re-investigating I find his
diatri-, errm, opinions on the topic are embedded in a discourse
on fixed-gear. Maybe I also semi-recall reading one of his
UseNet posts in r.b.tech about why coasting is bad. Or maybe
I dreamed it(?)

> Coasting? Who's coasting? When I hit a hill I go to the highest gear and
> pedal the
> heck out of my bike. I try to the get the highest speed possible. Not
> doing so good
> yet, my max is 60 Km/H but I suspect that might be the limit of my Cat Eye
> computer...

Well then, you're doing better than me. I have to struggle to top
50 km/h, and my ride weighs lots. But I don't have the best
wheels in the world, and except for an occasional indulgent
exuberance, I tend to baby them. My Cheng Shin tires will
amplify every subtle bump and dip in the road surface -- above
about 48 Km/h, I'll start collecting 'air miles' on an uneven
road surface. Whether I want to or not.

But still, have you tried spinning smoothly while undergeared and
there's little tension on the chain (pedaling while coasting)? It
feels funny at first, as it amplifies the jerkier sectors of the
pedal strokes.

I /think/ it's a good way to smooth out one's spin, anyway.
But, maybe I'm wrong and Jobst Brandt will prove that I am.
It doesn't hurt to try it, though.

I'll hunt around for the manual for my Cateye computer and
see if it says anything about the highest speed it'll read,
and post it here. Unless someone beats me to the punch.

cheers,
Tom