HULL INJUSTICE - FIGHT BACK. Let our voices be heard

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Andrew, Mar 20, 2003.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Its largely pointless us whining in here. Lets complain to someone who matters.

    I have tried to find an email address for David Blunket & failed.

    However there is a contact page on the Home Office website and an email address attached.

    It may not change anything for this case but it may make them Think! in the future.

    --
    Andrew

    "Look laddie, if you're in the penalty area and aren't quite sure what to do with the ball, just
    stick it in the net and we'll discuss all your options afterwards."

    http://www.feedback.homeoffice.gov.uk/contact.asp

    or email [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Eatmorepies

    Eatmorepies Guest

    > I have tried to find an email address for David Blunket & failed.
    >
    > However there is a contact page on the Home Office website and an email address attached.
    >
    > It may not change anything for this case but it may make them Think! in
    the
    > future.

    This site may help.

    www.FaxYourMP.com

    It might seem a bit of a long way round but it will get to your MP.

    John

  3. Al_mossah

    Al_mossah Guest

    I agree. I have just emailed my MP, referring to the article. If anyone wants to cut and paste it,
    you are welcome. You can find your MP here

    http://www.parliament.uk/directories/hciolists/alms.cfm#g

    Dear Mr. Gray,

    The article below is very disturbing for me as a cyclist and a father. This man attempted to kill
    two people, yet gets only 2 years in jail. The case has generated many similar reactions amongst my
    cycling friends.

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2869009.stm

    Isn't it time that drivers (I'm one of those as well) should have to take responsibility for their
    actions? This incident wasn't even an "accident"- he deliberately used his vehicle to attack a man
    and his daughter. If he had done this with a gun it would have been treated differently.

    I hope that you can give some time to addressing the issue so that there's a real deterrent to stop
    drivers doing things like this.

    "andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Its largely pointless us whining in here. Lets complain to someone who matters.
    >
    > I have tried to find an email address for David Blunket & failed.
    >
    > However there is a contact page on the Home Office website and an email address attached.
    >
    > It may not change anything for this case but it may make them Think! in
    the
    > future.
    >

    > --
    > Andrew
    >

    > "Look laddie, if you're in the penalty area and aren't quite sure what to
    do
    > with the ball, just stick it in the net and we'll discuss all your options afterwards."
    >

    > http://www.feedback.homeoffice.gov.uk/contact.asp
    >
    > or email [email protected]

  4. Andy Welch

    Andy Welch Guest

    On 21-Mar-2003, "al_Mossah" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I agree. I have just emailed my MP, referring to the article. If anyone wants to cut and paste it,
    > you are welcome. You can find your MP here
    >
    > http://www.parliament.uk/directories/hciolists/alms.cfm#g

    Thanks for posting this. It only took a couple of minutes to find my MP's email address and cut and
    paste your text. Actually I made a few changes but not to the substance and it was still just the
    work of a few minutes to register my opinion.

    Cheers,

    Andy

  5. Redbren

    Redbren Guest

    "al_Mossah" <peterkmoss[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I agree. I have just emailed my MP, referring to the article. If anyone wants to cut and paste it,
    > you are welcome. You can find your MP here
    >
    > http://www.parliament.uk/directories/hciolists/alms.cfm#g

    <snip>

    > "andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Its largely pointless us whining in here. Lets complain to someone who matters.

    <snip>

    > > http://www.feedback.homeoffice.gov.uk/contact.asp
    > >
    > > or email [email protected]

    Thanks for the above links. I've posted the following message to my MP and the Home Office site...

    I read with disgust about a Hull motorist deliberately reversing his vehicle over a Father and
    Daughter out cycling. Despite previous motoring convictions, he received a punishment of just 2
    years in prison. Had he attacked them with an iron bar, he would have faced a far stiffer penalty,
    but because his weapon of choice was a car, he has been given little more than a slap on the wrist
    and he will still be allowed straight back on the road when released. Why are motoring offences
    dealt with so leniently, bearing in mind the drain that road injuries and deaths place on the NHS
    and on business? And why are serial motoring offenders not banned from driving for life?

    --

    RedBren www.stainbeck.net "A ray of bitter sunshine." - Scott Adams

  6. RedBren <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Thanks for the above links. I've posted the following message to my MP and the Home Office site...

    If your MP is Labour, it is probably worth mentioning that the Government's stated aim is to
    increase cycling. If your MP is a Tory, they always were the road lobby's bitch, but I'd twist the
    "law and order" angle instead.

  7. I've just faxed the following to my MP (as he's a Conservative, I stressed the crime and punishment
    aspect, as someone else suggested):

    Dear Mr Blunt,

    As a cyclist and soon-to-be father, I was very disturbed to read about the lenient sentence handed
    down to a Hull motorist who deliberately reversed his Range Rover over a father and daughter who
    were out cycling (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2869009.stm).

    Despite a previous conviction for assaulting a motorist in a 1994 road rage incident, he received a
    punishment of just two years in prison. His deliberate and reckless endangerment of other people's
    lives has merited little more than a slap on the wrist and it seems he will be allowed back onto the
    roads upon release.

    Why was his motoring offence dealt with so leniently and why, as a serial road rage offender, was he
    not banned from driving for life?

    Isn't it time that drivers (I'm one of those as well) be made to realise they have to take
    responsibility for their actions?

    I hope that you can give some time to addressing this issue to help ensure that punishments for such
    attacks match the severity of the crime, and provide a real deterrent to stop drivers doing things
    like this.

    > This site may help.
    >
    > www.FaxYourMP.com

  8. urc

    urc Guest

    al_Mossah <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I agree. I have just emailed my MP, referring to the article. If anyone wants to cut and paste it,
    > you are welcome. You can find your MP here

    Just a note... If you're going to use the FaxYourMP site (and perhaps if you are going to contact
    your MP in other ways also) then it's better not to cut&paste someone elses letter/fax verbatim
    (see http://www.faxyourmp.com/q_a.php3#formletters). It's much better to re-write the letter in
    your own words.

    Thanks for posting your letter though, I for one find it very helpful to base a letter/fax on
    something somebody else has written.

    - Mike.

  9. Redbren

    Redbren Guest

    "RedBren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks for the above links. I've posted the following message to my MP
    and
    > the Home Office site...

    <snip>

    And got the following reply...

    Dear Mr Weir,

    I can only share your horror and disgust at the case you describe. It is very difficult to comment
    further without having been in the court and heard the evidence. However, as you know, the
    government is looking at penalties for these sorts of offences and certain elements of the liberal
    press are accusing the government of being unduly "oppressive". I can only agree with you and hope
    that this kind of offence gets the punishment it deserves in future.

    Yours sincerely,

    Fabian Hamilton

    Labour Member of Parliament for Leeds North East

    House of Commons

    London

    SW1A 0AA

  10. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 13:57:00 -0000, "RedBren" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"RedBren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Thanks for the above links. I've posted the following message to my MP
    >and the Home Office site...
    >>
    >And got the following reply...
    >
    >I can only share your horror and disgust at the case you describe.

    [SNIP]

    Hi RedBren

    Why not invite Fabian Hamilton to introduce a ten minute rule bill on the subject of sentences given
    to motorists who kill or seriously injure in the manner of Carl Baxter? Given the "horror and
    disgust" shown by your MP, I don't see how he can possibly refuse.

    I appreciate that ten minute rule bills are most unlikely to achieve a great deal (think of the many
    anti-fox hunting bills introduced over the years) but, as they day, it's the thought that counts.

    NB I think "ten minute rule bill" is the correct parliamentary phrase I'm looking for.

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  11. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 15:47:20 +0000, James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:

    >NB I think "ten minute rule bill" is the correct parliamentary phrase I'm looking for.

    Relplying to self: Do I mean "private member's bills"?

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  12. Al_mossah

    Al_mossah Guest

    Full marks to James Gray, MP for North Wiltshire- he replied on Saturday saying that he'd passed my
    concerns to David Blunkett. The more messages to MPs the better. Keep them flowing, and yes, it is
    best to re-write them. But make them SHORT and to the point.

    Beautiful weekend on the bike.

    Peter. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > al_Mossah <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > I agree. I have just emailed my MP, referring to the article. If
    anyone
    > > wants to cut and paste it, you are welcome. You can find your MP here
    >
    > Just a note... If you're going to use the FaxYourMP site (and perhaps if you are going to contact
    > your MP in other ways also) then it's better not to cut&paste someone elses letter/fax verbatim
    > (see http://www.faxyourmp.com/q_a.php3#formletters). It's much better to re-write the letter in
    > your own words.
    >
    > Thanks for posting your letter though, I for one find it very helpful to base a letter/fax on
    > something somebody else has written.
    >
    > - Mike.

  13. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
    > ...in respect of the injuries suffered by Mr Baxter and his daughter.
    <snip>
    > .... I am sure that had the Baxters suffered their injuries as a result of being beaten with a
    > blunt object...

    Doh, Baxter was the assailant, not the victim.

    After being away for the weekend, I've drafted my letter to my MP this evening. I'll reread it (and
    maybe tweak it a bit more) tomorrow before sending it.

    Thomas Paine

  14. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<H7h*[email protected]>...

    > If your MP is Labour, it is probably worth mentioning that the Government's stated aim is to
    > increase cycling. If your MP is a Tory, they always were the road lobby's bitch, but I'd twist the
    > "law and order" angle instead.

    Mine's a Liberal, Vincent Cable. I've faxed him but I'm not copying the message here as I agree that
    the most useful messages will the individually composed ones. If I get a reply, I'll let you know
    what he says.

    --
    Dave...

  15. Peter Grange

    Peter Grange Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] writes
    >al_Mossah <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> I agree. I have just emailed my MP, referring to the article. If anyone wants to cut and paste
    >> it, you are welcome. You can find your MP here
    >
    >Just a note... If you're going to use the FaxYourMP site (and perhaps if you are going to contact
    >your MP in other ways also) then it's better not to cut&paste someone elses letter/fax verbatim
    >(see http://www.faxyourmp.com/q_a.php3#formletters). It's much better to re-write the letter in
    >your own words.
    >
    >Thanks for posting your letter though, I for one find it very helpful to base a letter/fax on
    >something somebody else has written.
    >
    > - Mike.
    FWIW, I sent a snail-mail letter to my MP (Michael Trend, Cons Windsor). For whatever reason I
    couldn't make the fax site work.
    --
    Peter Grange

  16. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Response from Law in Action:

    "I was the reporter on the Law In Action item about killer drivers last week. Thanks for you
    information about the appalling Baxter case. I found the notion of 'intent' very difficult to fathom
    when I made the piece. As the law stands at present, it seems that intent is not really taken into
    account for cases of dangerous or reckless driving. If the police or the CPS identify intent as a
    factor, they go for a manslaughter charge instead. Perhaps this needs to be changed. Very best
    wishes to you and yours ...."

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
    their job."

    Samuel Goldwyn

  17. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    > Response from Law in Action:
    >
    > "I was the reporter on the Law In Action item about killer drivers last week. Thanks for you
    > information about the appalling Baxter case. I found the notion of 'intent' very difficult to
    > fathom when I made the piece. As the law stands at present, it seems that intent is not really
    > taken into account for cases of dangerous or reckless driving. If the police or the CPS identify
    > intent as a factor, they go for a manslaughter charge instead.

    In this case the charges were reported as dangerous driving, GBH, and leaving the scene.
    Manslaughter was not an option as, in spite of a jolly good try, Baxter did not succeed in killing
    anyone. If the charge had been attempted murder I imagine the sentence would have been more severe,
    but the CPS probably took the view that establishing intent would be tricky and there would have
    been a risk of a not guilty verdict.

    Presumably there will now be a civil action against Baxter which might make his future insurance
    premiums somewhat problematical?

    --
    Dave...

  18. Candt

    Candt Guest

    On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 21:51:51 +0000 (UTC), "al_Mossah" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Full marks to James Gray, MP for North Wiltshire- he replied on Saturday saying that he'd passed my
    >concerns to David Blunkett. The more messages to MPs the better. Keep them flowing, and yes, it is
    >best to re-write them. But make them SHORT and to the point.
    >
    >Beautiful weekend on the bike.

    Peter Hain (Neath - Labour) also replied to me today - telling me he's written a letter to the home
    secretary passing on my concerns...

    Sounds a bit like "the cheque is in the post' to me ;-)

    CandT