HULL INJUSTICE - FIGHT BACK. Let our voices be heard

Andrew

Guest
Its largely pointless us whining in here. Lets complain to someone who matters.

I have tried to find an email address for David Blunket & failed.

However there is a contact page on the Home Office website and an email address attached.

It may not change anything for this case but it may make them Think! in the future.

--
Andrew

"Look laddie, if you're in the penalty area and aren't quite sure what to do with the ball, just
stick it in the net and we'll discuss all your options afterwards."

http://www.feedback.homeoffice.gov.uk/contact.asp

or email [email protected]

> I have tried to find an email address for David Blunket & failed.
>
> However there is a contact page on the Home Office website and an email address attached.
>
> It may not change anything for this case but it may make them Think! in
the
> future.

This site may help.

www.FaxYourMP.com

It might seem a bit of a long way round but it will get to your MP.

John

I agree. I have just emailed my MP, referring to the article. If anyone wants to cut and paste it,
you are welcome. You can find your MP here

http://www.parliament.uk/directories/hciolists/alms.cfm#g

Dear Mr. Gray,

The article below is very disturbing for me as a cyclist and a father. This man attempted to kill
two people, yet gets only 2 years in jail. The case has generated many similar reactions amongst my
cycling friends.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2869009.stm

Isn't it time that drivers (I'm one of those as well) should have to take responsibility for their
actions? This incident wasn't even an "accident"- he deliberately used his vehicle to attack a man
and his daughter. If he had done this with a gun it would have been treated differently.

I hope that you can give some time to addressing the issue so that there's a real deterrent to stop
drivers doing things like this.

news:[email protected]...

On 21-Mar-2003, "al_Mossah" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I agree. I have just emailed my MP, referring to the article. If anyone wants to cut and paste it,
> you are welcome. You can find your MP here
>
> http://www.parliament.uk/directories/hciolists/alms.cfm#g

Thanks for posting this. It only took a couple of minutes to find my MP's email address and cut and
paste your text. Actually I made a few changes but not to the substance and it was still just the
work of a few minutes to register my opinion.

Cheers,

Andy

"al_Mossah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I agree. I have just emailed my MP, referring to the article. If anyone wants to cut and paste it,
> you are welcome. You can find your MP here
>
> http://www.parliament.uk/directories/hciolists/alms.cfm#g

<snip>

> "andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Its largely pointless us whining in here. Lets complain to someone who matters.

<snip>

> > http://www.feedback.homeoffice.gov.uk/contact.asp
> >
> > or email [email protected]

Thanks for the above links. I've posted the following message to my MP and the Home Office site...

I read with disgust about a Hull motorist deliberately reversing his vehicle over a Father and
Daughter out cycling. Despite previous motoring convictions, he received a punishment of just 2
years in prison. Had he attacked them with an iron bar, he would have faced a far stiffer penalty,
but because his weapon of choice was a car, he has been given little more than a slap on the wrist
and he will still be allowed straight back on the road when released. Why are motoring offences
dealt with so leniently, bearing in mind the drain that road injuries and deaths place on the NHS
and on business? And why are serial motoring offenders not banned from driving for life?

--

RedBren www.stainbeck.net "A ray of bitter sunshine." - Scott Adams

RedBren <[email protected]> wrote:
>Thanks for the above links. I've posted the following message to my MP and the Home Office site...

If your MP is Labour, it is probably worth mentioning that the Government's stated aim is to
increase cycling. If your MP is a Tory, they always were the road lobby's *****, but I'd twist the
"law and order" angle instead.

I've just faxed the following to my MP (as he's a Conservative, I stressed the crime and punishment
aspect, as someone else suggested):

Dear Mr Blunt,

As a cyclist and soon-to-be father, I was very disturbed to read about the lenient sentence handed
down to a Hull motorist who deliberately reversed his Range Rover over a father and daughter who
were out cycling (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2869009.stm).

Despite a previous conviction for assaulting a motorist in a 1994 road rage incident, he received a
punishment of just two years in prison. His deliberate and reckless endangerment of other people's
lives has merited little more than a slap on the wrist and it seems he will be allowed back onto the
roads upon release.

Why was his motoring offence dealt with so leniently and why, as a serial road rage offender, was he
not banned from driving for life?

Isn't it time that drivers (I'm one of those as well) be made to realise they have to take
responsibility for their actions?

I hope that you can give some time to addressing this issue to help ensure that punishments for such
attacks match the severity of the crime, and provide a real deterrent to stop drivers doing things
like this.

> This site may help.
>
> www.FaxYourMP.com

al_Mossah <[email protected]> wrote:
> I agree. I have just emailed my MP, referring to the article. If anyone wants to cut and paste it,
> you are welcome. You can find your MP here

Just a note... If you're going to use the FaxYourMP site (and perhaps if you are going to contact
your MP in other ways also) then it's better not to cut&paste someone elses letter/fax verbatim
(see http://www.faxyourmp.com/q_a.php3#formletters). It's much better to re-write the letter in
your own words.

Thanks for posting your letter though, I for one find it very helpful to base a letter/fax on
something somebody else has written.

- Mike.

"RedBren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thanks for the above links. I've posted the following message to my MP
and
> the Home Office site...

<snip>

And got the following reply...

Dear Mr Weir,

I can only share your horror and disgust at the case you describe. It is very difficult to comment
further without having been in the court and heard the evidence. However, as you know, the
government is looking at penalties for these sorts of offences and certain elements of the liberal
press are accusing the government of being unduly "oppressive". I can only agree with you and hope
that this kind of offence gets the punishment it deserves in future.

Yours sincerely,

Fabian Hamilton

Labour Member of Parliament for Leeds North East

House of Commons

London

SW1A 0AA

On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 13:57:00 -0000, "RedBren" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"RedBren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Thanks for the above links. I've posted the following message to my MP
>and the Home Office site...
>>
>And got the following reply...
>
>I can only share your horror and disgust at the case you describe.

[SNIP]

Hi RedBren

Why not invite Fabian Hamilton to introduce a ten minute rule bill on the subject of sentences given
to motorists who kill or seriously injure in the manner of Carl Baxter? Given the "horror and
disgust" shown by your MP, I don't see how he can possibly refuse.

I appreciate that ten minute rule bills are most unlikely to achieve a great deal (think of the many
anti-fox hunting bills introduced over the years) but, as they day, it's the thought that counts.

NB I think "ten minute rule bill" is the correct parliamentary phrase I'm looking for.

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 15:47:20 +0000, James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:

>NB I think "ten minute rule bill" is the correct parliamentary phrase I'm looking for.

Relplying to self: Do I mean "private member's bills"?

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

Full marks to James Gray, MP for North Wiltshire- he replied on Saturday saying that he'd passed my
concerns to David Blunkett. The more messages to MPs the better. Keep them flowing, and yes, it is
best to re-write them. But make them SHORT and to the point.

Beautiful weekend on the bike.

wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
> ...in respect of the injuries suffered by Mr Baxter and his daughter.
<snip>
> .... I am sure that had the Baxters suffered their injuries as a result of being beaten with a
> blunt object...

Doh, Baxter was the assailant, not the victim.

After being away for the weekend, I've drafted my letter to my MP this evening. I'll reread it (and
maybe tweak it a bit more) tomorrow before sending it.

Thomas Paine

David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<H7h*[email protected]>...

> If your MP is Labour, it is probably worth mentioning that the Government's stated aim is to
> increase cycling. If your MP is a Tory, they always were the road lobby's *****, but I'd twist the
> "law and order" angle instead.

Mine's a Liberal, Vincent Cable. I've faxed him but I'm not copying the message here as I agree that
the most useful messages will the individually composed ones. If I get a reply, I'll let you know
what he says.

--
Dave...

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] writes
>al_Mossah <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I agree. I have just emailed my MP, referring to the article. If anyone wants to cut and paste
>> it, you are welcome. You can find your MP here
>
>Just a note... If you're going to use the FaxYourMP site (and perhaps if you are going to contact
>your MP in other ways also) then it's better not to cut&paste someone elses letter/fax verbatim
>(see http://www.faxyourmp.com/q_a.php3#formletters). It's much better to re-write the letter in
>your own words.
>
>Thanks for posting your letter though, I for one find it very helpful to base a letter/fax on
>something somebody else has written.
>
> - Mike.
FWIW, I sent a snail-mail letter to my MP (Michael Trend, Cons Windsor). For whatever reason I
couldn't make the fax site work.
--
Peter Grange

Response from Law in Action:

"I was the reporter on the Law In Action item about killer drivers last week. Thanks for you
information about the appalling Baxter case. I found the notion of 'intent' very difficult to fathom
when I made the piece. As the law stands at present, it seems that intent is not really taken into
account for cases of dangerous or reckless driving. If the police or the CPS identify intent as a
factor, they go for a manslaughter charge instead. Perhaps this needs to be changed. Very best
wishes to you and yours ...."

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
their job."

Samuel Goldwyn

news:<[email protected]>...
> Response from Law in Action:
>
> "I was the reporter on the Law In Action item about killer drivers last week. Thanks for you
> information about the appalling Baxter case. I found the notion of 'intent' very difficult to
> fathom when I made the piece. As the law stands at present, it seems that intent is not really
> taken into account for cases of dangerous or reckless driving. If the police or the CPS identify
> intent as a factor, they go for a manslaughter charge instead.

In this case the charges were reported as dangerous driving, GBH, and leaving the scene.
Manslaughter was not an option as, in spite of a jolly good try, Baxter did not succeed in killing
anyone. If the charge had been attempted murder I imagine the sentence would have been more severe,
but the CPS probably took the view that establishing intent would be tricky and there would have
been a risk of a not guilty verdict.

Presumably there will now be a civil action against Baxter which might make his future insurance
premiums somewhat problematical?

--
Dave...

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 21:51:51 +0000 (UTC), "al_Mossah" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Full marks to James Gray, MP for North Wiltshire- he replied on Saturday saying that he'd passed my
>concerns to David Blunkett. The more messages to MPs the better. Keep them flowing, and yes, it is
>best to re-write them. But make them SHORT and to the point.
>
>Beautiful weekend on the bike.

Peter Hain (Neath - Labour) also replied to me today - telling me he's written a letter to the home
secretary passing on my concerns...

Sounds a bit like "the cheque is in the post' to me ;-)

CandT