Hydration Packs

thomas_cho

Jan 4, 2005
Hi all,
Anyone using any of these Hydration packs?

Just wondering if anyone has tried a pack other than the Camelbaks. I have a camelbak, and am quite happy with it, but am looking for a cheaper 3L alternative.

Cheers
Thomas

There's several: Platypus, Deuter, Bell, and several more brands. Available in Singapore where I last checked. Platypus offers the reservoir (with tube and valve) only w/o bag, so you can stick it in any backpack, etc.

thomas_cho said:
Just wondering if anyone has tried a pack other than the Camelbaks. I have a camelbak, and am quite happy with it, but am looking for a cheaper 3L alternative
Deuter and Camelbak are both really good quality. I watched a bloke have a good stack down some fast single track, landed on his Camelbak Mule and slid on it for a bit and it was barely marked. I've used a Deuter backpack (not one of the hydration versions), they are well made, good kit. I have a Camelbak 1.5L Hydrapak. It's great but I now need a bigger bladder and some storage space.

I'm struggling to justify the extra cost of a 3L Camelbak myself. I know they are good quality, but I'm not convinced that are that good that they should cost so much more. I know people who have used Platypus and Kookaburra brand hydration packs, and they are quite happy with them, but I haven't seen any of them have a good stack while wearing them to see how they hold up.

Thanks for the tips. I tried the wine barrel, but as the barrel got lighter, balance on the bike became harder. :D

I think I will stick to my 2L and a bottle, and wait till my credit card reward points "buy" me the 3L camelbak.

i prefer deuter/source bladder over camelbaks

easier to clean and dry with the clamp opening

you ride with a pack on your roadie... ain't that a bit odd?

thomas_cho said:
Thanks for the tips. I tried the wine barrel, but as the barrel got lighter, balance on the bike became harder. :D
Are you sure it was the barrel at fault? Or was it the consumption of the contents.:p

robalert said:
i prefer deuter/source bladder over camelbaks

easier to clean and dry with the clamp opening

you ride with a pack on your roadie... ain't that a bit odd?
Why is that odd?

My Carribee back pack has a bladder facilcity, it don't slip, it has chest and waist straps.

Thomas, give Carribee a call on the phone, they may have something.

I have a Berghaus pack i use for commiting that also has provision for a bladder and hose out the side. The beauty of the Berghaus is that it also has an air-flow system that keeps the pack off your back with a mesh section and an air gap. Not cheap at about $120 but i got it on a moving special at Rays Outdoors.

Hmm so far it has not slipped forwards even after I have drank all the water. Perhaps I dont have that aero position. But I ride relatively upright as I dont have the back strength to support a lower position. Hopefully that will change with more cycling.

But that is a good point which I had not considered before. Thanks.

I've had a few Camelbaks and had some issues with them. The caps were hard to undo until they changed them to the new Omega opening. Now these leak unless they are screwed up very tight, but that can make them very hard to undo!

Got my daughter a 1L Skeeter and the bit valve always drips which is a pain for her. A couple of my bite valves have been fine, but there was one that dripped.

Their packs though are good quality and I haven't had any issues with them apart from the original which wasn't all that comfy.

I think I'd try another bladder next time, Deuter or Source look ok.