clearing Hydration unit

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by A Yeung, Apr 12, 2003.

  1. A Yeung

    A Yeung Guest

    Good day need to know, how to clear and dry the water container of a camelbak unit after use as
    planning to buy one.

    many thanks Anthony [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. A . J. S

    A . J. S Guest

    I normally rinse out and prop open so there is some hope of air flow into
    it. Then just leave to dry out. Every now and again clean as recommended in the instructions. I did
    end up buying the expensive brush kit and have found it to be worthwhile. I have been using my
    bladder :) for a few years now (For about a year it was getting used every week day) and it is
    still going strong. No weird green colures or new lifeforms.

    I am not sure if it tells you but bicarb is good for occasional cleaning to remove odours.

    AJS

    "A Yeung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Good day need to know, how to clear and dry the water container of a camelbak unit after use as
    > planning to buy one.
    >
    > many thanks Anthony [email protected]

  3. Iguana Bwana

    Iguana Bwana Guest

    On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 02:14:25 +1000, "A Yeung" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >need to know, how to clear and dry the water container of a camelbak unit after use as planning
    >to buy one.

    Follow the instructions. You can read 'em before you buy on Camelbak's site.

    Iguana Bwana

  4. J&H-W

    J&H-W Guest

    Bought a Camelback several years back, drain & flush out the contents after use, then I shove as
    much of the hose back into the bag to allow the air to circulate. Once I had some black grime inside
    the bak, cleaned it out using a bristle bottle cleaner, no problems since.

    I have mine sitting in an office, open to the light.

    "A Yeung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Good day need to know, how to clear and dry the water container of a camelbak unit after use as
    > planning to buy one.
    >
    > many thanks Anthony [email protected]

  5. Paul Smart

    Paul Smart Guest

    Make sure you only put water in it. it's amazing the life forms that grow in the bladder when you
    leave a sports drink for awhile.

    A Yeung wrote:
    > Good day need to know, how to clear and dry the water container of a camelbak unit after use as
    > planning to buy one.
    >
    > many thanks Anthony [email protected]

  6. Kingsley

    Kingsley Guest

    On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 02:14:25 +1000, A Yeung wrote:

    > Good day need to know, how to clear and dry the water container of a camelbak unit after use as
    > planning to buy one.

    I don't have a camelback brand, but I keep the bladder and hose in the freezer between use. Seems to
    be ok so far (6 months). I don't use it heaps, but it did seem impossible to get the hose to dry
    properly anyway.

    -kt

    PS> I can also put it in the freezer near-full of water.
    It's a 2-litre unit, and has always failed to freeze completely. The best (worst?) I've had was a
    5mm crust around the outside of the water, which easily broke up and kept the water cold (but not
    freezing) for hours.

    One thing I don't like about hydration-packs is when the water in the tube gets warm. If you drink
    all the time, then it usually doesn't, but occasionally mine does.

  7. Trevor S

    Trevor S Guest

    "kingsley" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:p[email protected]:

    <Snip>

    > One thing I don't like about hydration-packs is when the water in the tube gets warm. If you drink
    > all the time, then it usually doesn't, but occasionally mine does.

    You can get bladders with insulated tubes if you think this is a problem, a mate who has one reckons
    they work, I am always drinking from mine (North Qld) so not as much a problem (expet whrn
    motorcycling, wher eit IS noticeable)

    I like the large mouth CB bladders, slip a frozen popper juice in there, cools the water and makes
    for a refreshing drink when I stop on the trail for a break.

    Trevor S

  8. Iguana Bwana

    Iguana Bwana Guest

    On 15 Apr 2003 13:10:52 GMT, Trevor S <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I like the large mouth CB bladders, slip a frozen popper juice in there, cools the water and makes
    >for a refreshing drink when I stop on the trail for a break.

    I've Hydrapaks instead of Camelbaks Trev. An Overflow and a Tracker. The alternative closure
    Hydrapak use facilitates the addition of ice cubes just prior to the ride extending the chill time
    of the contents. It also facilitates easier thorough cleaning of the bladder itself.

    I keep my bladders purely for water, restricting supplemental Gatorade et al to the easier to clean
    dual bidons so I never have bacterial growth cleaning or taste residue issues.

    Consumption will be close enough to an approx. 1 litre per hour if hydrating as recommended one
    should sipping every 10 minutes or so before you're thirsty. At that consumption rate, you'll empty
    a 1.5 litre bladder in an hour and a half to two and a half hours in conjunction with alternately
    sipping Gatorade from a bidon, less if not. One can do the consumption rate math on a 2 litre.

    Chilling the water the night before and adding ice cubes before the ride, the water in the bladder
    will remain coolish throughout the ride. Emptying the tube constantly with sips every 10 minutes,
    the water in the supply hose will remain sans that horrible mouthful of warmth we've all experienced
    when we forget to take a drink for too long in the summer sun's heat.

    "OK, so proper planning prevents poor performance, but how about refills in the field smarty pants?"

    I'm so well and truly knackered after a 3 hour MTB ride, that's *seldom* an issue for me. :)

    Iguana Bwana

    "The first wealth is health."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

  9. Bernard G

    Bernard G Guest

    I have a hydra pak & wash out with clean water after ride then stuff a several scott towel in it
    reaching down to the bottom & poking out the top for ventilation so it dries... the hose ! well i
    think the only solution is the brush supplied by the makers....which i havnt purchased yet unless
    someone has any alternative methods....i have no build up of algae or any other disturbing
    growths.....

    news:[email protected]...