I bought a Mongoose

ninjamini

Mar 28, 2006
8 years ago I bought a Mongoose Iboc Zero G mountain bike. I got it from a reputable bike shop and when Mongoose went from the dealers to walmart I cried.

Now I have a 6 year old (in 12 days). I just took off the training wheels and he went right to it. Now we want to ride together and my mountain bike is not in good shape and needs replacing. Not to mention that its not that comfortable for those slow rides down the street.

So now the decision:
I have decided between 2 comfort bikes: Trek Navigator 100 and the Jamis Explorer 2.0. I like the Jamis a little better but I am concerned that it is not as good as the Trek who is the market leader. I dont want to buy another "mongoose". Any thoughts one way or another?

Jamis has a reputation for quality and service that's at least as good as Trek's. If the price is comparable and the fit/components are more to your liking, go for it.

ninjamini said:
I have decided between 2 comfort bikes: Trek Navigator 100 and the Jamis Explorer 2.0. I like the Jamis a little better but I am concerned that it is not as good as the Trek who is the market leader. I dont want to buy another "mongoose". Any thoughts one way or another?
Find a bike shop whose employees make you feel comfortable. Buy a brand they carry and you'll never go wrong.

In my limited experience, brand is a matter of whose decals get slapped on the bike and whose ads are flashiest. What is important is the advice and support you get with your purchase. You can't go wrong if you buy from a good local dealer. They want you to be happy and to come back.

Yes, each brand tries to distinguish itself with little twists such as the GT seatstays, but the proof is in the riding. Your contact points won't lie to you. Ad agencies might.