I DESPERETLY NEED HELP/ADVICE ON BIKE CHOICE!

trejmas

Jan 28, 2010
Hi there,
I am looking for some advise on new bike. I am currently commuting around 15 miles a day to work in London on mountain bike but I would like to upgrade and get something faster and more challenging (I am very much into spinning classes). I would like something that I can use regardless the weather (summer or winter, sunshine or rain) on London roads, something reasonably durably and puncture resistant. I can not make up mind between fast hybrids, road or cross bikes.

Here is some bikes that I have on my list:
-hybrids: Specialized Sirrus Elite,
Ridgeback Flight 01
Giant Rapid 2

-road bikes: Giant Defy
Specialized Allez
Specialized Allez Elite

And finally cross bikes: Specialized Tricross
Marin Lombard ( Does anyone have any experience with this bike, I really like it?)
Giant TCX 2

I would really appreciate any help and advice!

Thomas

trejmas said:
-hybrids: Specialized Sirrus Elite,
Ridgeback Flight 01
Giant Rapid 2

-road bikes: Giant Defy
Specialized Allez
Specialized Allez Elite

And finally cross bikes: Specialized Tricross
Marin Lombard ( Does anyone have any experience with this bike, I really like it?)
Giant TCX 2

I would really appreciate any help and advice!

Thomas

Tom, can I call you Tom? You're off to a terrific start because you classified the bikes that interest you. You'll just have to analyze the kind of riding you aspire to and choose the right tool for the job. Here's my elevator speech, though.

Fitness bikes make great commuters because they're reasonably quick and nimble and you can hang all of your stuff (fenders, racks, lights, etc.) on them without any trouble. If speed or going out for extended tours or hammer sessions on weekends is on your agenda, however, you might get bored.

The inexpensive road bikes are fun for weekend warrioring and commuting on nice days, but you'll never get fat all-weather tires and fenders to fit under the fork and stays, and rack-hanging capability of the carbon-stayed Elite is doubtful.

Cyclocross for civilian bikes like the Tricross Sport are dandy for all-weather commuting and touring because they have triple chainrings, clearance for fat tires and fenders, and plenty of eyelets for bolting all this stuff on. And the road bike geometry is built for going faster and longer. I only have firsthand experience with the Tricross, so you'll have to check the details on the other two.

Giant, Specialized, and Marin all make fine bikes. I've never heard of Ridgeback, but don't let that hold you back. Choose the style that best addresses your idea of necessity and fun and the bike that you enjoy the most.