Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

I don't make this stuff up you know.

Started by Charles Ramsey · · Last activity · 13 posts · 826 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
3 May 2004
Last activity
5 May 2004
Original author
Charles Ramsey
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
826
Views / 30 days
5

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Some one accused me of being a troll I am shocked shocked so
    take this simple test of my credability. True or false Keith
    Bontrager dug some new super champion 700c 40 hole rims out
    of a dumpster and cut them down to 36 hole mountain bike
    size these were the first aluminum mountain rims. Here is a
    hint 700c rims have a 622mm bead seat diameter and mountain
    bike rims have a 559mm bead seat diameter. Those of you who
    know give it a day so others can read this.

  2. charles ramsey said:

    Some one accused me of being a troll I am shocked shocked
    so take this simple test of my credability. True or false
    Keith Bontrager dug some new super champion 700c 40 hole
    rims out of a dumpster and cut them down to 36 hole
    mountain bike size these were the first aluminum mountain
    rims. Here is a hint 700c rims have a 622mm bead seat
    diameter and mountain bike rims have a 559mm bead seat
    diameter. Those of you who know give it a day so others
    can read this.

    Well, maybe if you wrote decent English you wouldn't be
    pegged as a troll.

    And the answer is basically: true. But were they Super
    Champions or MA2s? And they weren't the first aluminum
    mountain rims, they were just the narrowest and lightest
    at the time.

    Greg

  3. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Charles Ramsey
    Some one accused me of being a troll I am shocked shocked so
    take this simple test of my credability. True or false Keith
    Bontrager dug some new super champion 700c 40 hole rims out
    of a dumpster and cut them down to 36 hole mountain bike
    size these were the first aluminum mountain rims. Here is a
    hint 700c rims have a 622mm bead seat diameter and mountain
    bike rims have a 559mm bead seat diameter. Those of you who
    know give it a day so others can read this.

    I don't know if that is true or not. Its not like they hold records on who's the first at that stuff. Sounds reasonable and plausible enough though so I think you've proven yourself on this one.

  4. "G.T." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    charles ramsey said:

    Some one accused me of being a troll I am shocked
    shocked so take this simple test of my credability. True
    or false Keith Bontrager dug some new super champion
    700c 40 hole rims out of a dumpster and cut them down to
    36 hole mountain bike size these were the first aluminum
    mountain rims. Here is a hint 700c rims have a 622mm
    bead seat diameter and mountain bike rims have a 559mm
    bead seat diameter. Those of you who know give it a day
    so others can read this.

    Well, maybe if you wrote decent English you wouldn't be
    pegged as a troll.

    And the answer is basically: true. But were they Super
    Champions or MA2s? And they weren't the first aluminum
    mountain rims, they were just the narrowest and lightest
    at the time.

    Greg


    I'm pretty sure they were MA40s. I wanted a pair, but on a
    college student budget, couldn't afford them.

    M

  5. G.T. said:
    charles ramsey said:

    Some one accused me of being a troll I am shocked shocked
    so take this simple test of my credability. True or false
    Keith Bontrager dug some new super champion 700c 40 hole
    rims out of a dumpster and cut them down to 36 hole
    mountain bike size these were the first aluminum mountain
    rims. Here is a hint 700c rims have a 622mm bead seat
    diameter and mountain bike rims have a 559mm bead seat
    diameter. Those of you who know give it a day so others
    can read this.

    Well, maybe if you wrote decent English you wouldn't be
    pegged as a troll.

    And the answer is basically: true. But were they Super
    Champions or MA2s? And they weren't the first aluminum
    mountain rims, they were just the narrowest and lightest
    at the time.

    I know of Bontrager producing and selling cut down MA2s,
    taking 36 hole 700c rims and cutting them down to 32 hole
    26" rims. In fact some of those just went to auction on eBay
    a few weeks ago. However, I could see KB doing some trial
    runs with dumpster dived Super Champs.

  6. On Mon, 03 May 2004 22:18:28 GMT, "G.T." <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    charles ramsey said:

    Some one accused me of being a troll I am shocked shocked
    so take this simple test of my credability. True or false
    Keith Bontrager dug some new super champion 700c 40 hole
    rims out of a dumpster and cut them down to 36 hole
    mountain bike size these were the first aluminum mountain
    rims. Here is a hint 700c rims have a 622mm bead seat
    diameter and mountain bike rims have a 559mm bead seat
    diameter. Those of you who know give it a day so others
    can read this.

    Well, maybe if you wrote decent English you wouldn't be
    pegged as a troll.

    And the answer is basically: true. But were they Super
    Champions or MA2s? And they weren't the first aluminum
    mountain rims, they were just the narrowest and lightest at
    the time.

    Greg

    they were, i believe, MA40's, cut down from 36h to 32h and
    rerolled... '87? - Ъ×

  7. "G.T." <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    charles ramsey said:

    Some one accused me of being a troll I am shocked
    shocked so take this simple test of my credability. True
    or false Keith Bontrager dug some new super champion
    700c 40 hole rims out of a dumpster and cut them down to
    36 hole mountain bike size these were the first aluminum
    mountain rims. Here is a hint 700c rims have a 622mm
    bead seat diameter and mountain bike rims have a 559mm
    bead seat diameter. Those of you who know give it a day
    so others can read this.

    Well, maybe if you wrote decent English you wouldn't be
    pegged as a troll.

    And the answer is basically: true. But were they Super
    Champions or MA2s? And they weren't the first aluminum
    mountain rims, they were just the narrowest and lightest
    at the time.

    Greg

    It's possible that the first Bontrager mountain-bike rims
    were re-rolled MA-2's (I heard that story in the mid-80's,
    when mountain bikes were hitting their stride), but within a
    couple of years Mavic was producing mountain bike (559mm
    BSD) rims in MA-2 and MA-40 versions. I watched a few pass
    through the warehouse where I worked 1987 to 1989.

    I built up a couple of Araya 7X aluminum mountain bike rims
    in 1980, so I know that they date back well before Keith's
    experiments.

    Jeff

  8. Tim McNamara said:

    "G.T." <[email hidden]> writes:

    I know of Bontrager producing and selling cut down MA2s,
    taking 36 hole 700c rims and cutting them down to 32 hole
    26" rims. In fact some of those just went to auction on
    eBay a few weeks ago. However, I could see KB doing some
    trial runs with dumpster dived Super Champs.

    36/40*622 is a lot closer to 559 than 32/36*622.

  9. "Jeff Wills" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "G.T." <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    charles ramsey said:

    Some one accused me of being a troll I am shocked
    shocked so take this simple test of my credability.
    True or false Keith Bontrager dug some new super
    champion 700c 40 hole rims out of a dumpster and cut
    them down to 36 hole mountain bike size these were the
    first aluminum mountain rims. Here is a hint 700c rims
    have a 622mm bead seat diameter and mountain bike rims
    have a 559mm bead seat diameter. Those of you who know
    give it a day so others can read this.

    Well, maybe if you wrote decent English you wouldn't be
    pegged as a


    troll.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    And the answer is basically: true. But were they Super
    Champions or


    MA2s?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    And they weren't the first aluminum mountain rims,
    they were just the narrowest and lightest at the time.

    Greg

    It's possible that the first Bontrager mountain-bike rims
    were re-rolled MA-2's (I heard that story in the mid-80's,
    when mountain bikes were hitting their stride), but within
    a couple of years Mavic was producing mountain bike (559mm
    BSD) rims in MA-2 and MA-40 versions. I watched a few pass
    through the warehouse where I worked 1987 to 1989.

    Yes, I still ride MA-2 559mms:
    2fortheroad.netbikes.html,

    Greg

  10. G.T. ([email hidden]) wrote:

    : "Jeff Wills" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    : "]news:[email hidden]...
    : > "G.T." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    : news:<[email hidden]>...
    : > > charles ramsey wrote:
    : > > > Some one accused me of being a troll I am shocked
    : > > > shocked so take this simple test of my credability.
    : > > > True or false Keith Bontrager dug some new super
    : > > > champion 700c 40 hole rims out of a dumpster and cut
    : > > > them down to 36 hole mountain bike size these were
    : > > > the first aluminum mountain rims. Here is a hint
    : > > > 700c rims have a 622mm bead seat diameter and
    : > > > mountain bike rims have a 559mm bead seat diameter.
    : > > > Those of you who know give it a day so others can
    : > > > read this.
    : > >
    : > > Well, maybe if you wrote decent English you wouldn't
    : > > be pegged as a
    : troll.
    : > >
    : > > And the answer is basically: true. But were they Super
    : > > Champions or
    : MA2s?
    : > > And they weren't the first aluminum mountain rims,
    : > > they were just the narrowest and lightest at the
    : > > time.
    : > >
    : > > Greg
    : >
    : > It's possible that the first Bontrager mountain-bike
    : > rims were re-rolled MA-2's (I heard that story in the
    : > mid-80's, when mountain bikes were hitting their
    : > stride), but within a couple of years Mavic was
    : > producing mountain bike (559mm BSD) rims in MA-2 and MA-
    : > 40 versions. I watched a few pass through the warehouse
    : > where I worked 1987 to 1989.
    : >

    : Yes, I still ride MA-2 559mms:
    : 2fortheroad.netbikes.html,

    I notice that Sheldon Brown has some 559mm MA2s listed on
    the Harris cyclery web site:

    sheldonbrown.comrims.html

    -Ken

  11. Jeff Wills said:

    It's possible that the first Bontrager mountain-bike rims
    were re-rolled MA-2's (I heard that story in the mid-80's,
    when mountain bikes were hitting their stride), but within
    a couple of years Mavic was producing mountain bike (559mm
    BSD) rims in MA-2 and MA-40 versions. I watched a few pass
    through the warehouse where I worked 1987 to 1989.

    Bontrager re-rolled some MA-2 (or MA-40?) rims himself, then
    he got Mavic to make him some (I think), then Mavic started
    selling 559mm versions themselves. He's posted about this to
    r.b.tech in the distant past.

    Quoted message said:

    I built up a couple of Araya 7X aluminum mountain bike
    rims in 1980, so I know that they date back well before
    Keith's experiments.

    I think the distinction was that his were the first
    relatively narrow, relatively lightweight 559mm rims; many
    MTB rims of the time were single-wall and heavy. Were the
    Araya 7X rims box-section? The Araya RM-20 is a box section
    from the mid-late 80s, but is rather broader and heavier
    than an MA-2.

  12. "Ken Ferschweiler" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    G.T. ([email hidden]) wrote:

    : Yes, I still ride MA-2 559mms:
    : 2fortheroad.netbikes.html,

    I notice that Sheldon Brown has some 559mm MA2s listed on
    the Harris cyclery web site:

    sheldonbrown.comrims.html

    Bummer, 28 hole only. I could build some cheap roller
    wheels, though.

    Greg

  13. Benjamin Weiner <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<4097d0fd$1@darkstar>...

    Quoted message said:

    Jeff Wills <[email hidden]> wrote:


    <snippedy>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I built up a couple of Araya 7X aluminum mountain bike
    rims in 1980, so I know that they date back well before
    Keith's experiments.

    I think the distinction was that his were the first
    relatively narrow, relatively lightweight 559mm rims; many
    MTB rims of the time were single-wall and heavy. Were the
    Araya 7X rims box-section? The Araya RM-20 is a box
    section from the mid-late 80s, but is rather broader and
    heavier than an MA-2.

    7X rims of that day weren't box-section. They were twin-
    tubular, with a single wall around the spoke bed. Rather
    broad and heavy by today's standards, but they were killer
    stuff in the early '80's. I think they were standard
    equipment on the original Stumpjumpers.

    Face it- *everything* is broader and heavier than the 559mm
    MA-2's, except perhaps the Matrix "Aero" rims that came
    stock on a couple Treks.

    (FWIW: I've got a couple of the Matrix rims sitting in my
    garage. 36-spoke. One of these days I'll build a bike
    around 'em.)

    Jeff the Freaky Parts Collector

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.