I know I shouldn't, but...

Terry D

Guest
...I did anyway. Chase after the car that is.

I'm not normally inclined towards this sort of behaviour,
but seeing as the incident took place at the turn off to the
street where I live, I thought perhaps something should be
said if only to avoid possible future unpleasantness.

This is what happened. There is a rather peculiar double
mini roundabout at a staggered junction just before the
point where I turn right into our Crescent. I have adopted
the strategy of moving to the right-hand side of the
straight on lane in order to move to the centre of the road
as I leave the roundabout(s). This puts me in a good
position to turn right into the Crescent. Unfortunately for
me many motorists can't see the sense in this manoeuvre and
several have been known to demonstrate their displeasure by
driving very close to me and in some cases shouting abuse.
This evening's exponent of the Art Of Showing The Lycra
Brigade How You Feel was behind me until just before I
reached the right turn for the Crescent. There was a car
waiting to turn right and another behind him waiting to go
up the main road. The gentleman in question then made his
move, he pushed between me and the second car in order to
take up his place behind the car turning right. Not only
did I have to move right to avoid being hit, I was also
forced to cross the white line as I did so. I was not a
happy bunny.

That is where it would normally end, possibly with a shout
of "Oi, ******!" as the car drives off into the distance.
This time it was different, this time I knew I could catch
up with the stupid bugger. The road he was turning down only
goes to the Close or the Crescent. I followed him. He went
into the Close and parked in his drive. I greeted him with a
cheery "What was the point of that little episode back there
then?". "What episode?" he replied. "The bit where you tried
to push me off the road" says I, quick as a flash. I was
building up to a good reasoned argument with somebody who
was definitely going to lose, I was looking forward to it,
one up for the Lycra Brigade and all that.

He wasn't giving up easily though, he tried to turn the
tables with a question of his own. "What were you doing in
the middle of the road anyway?". Ooh, gotcha mate, I thought
as I parried with right on my side. "Turning right!".

Wrong answer. This guy knew all about cycling and how it
should be done properly, how it used to be done by cyclists
in his day. He went on to explain that I should wait at the
left hand side of the road and cross when the road is clear
of traffic. I was so sure I had been doing it right all this
time, but I have been shown the error of my ways. So much
for Cyclecraft and the Highway Code and all the U.R.C.
gurus. They are all wrong. The only man who knows how to
turn right on a bicycle is a belligerent old fart in the
next road to me.

Please take heed of this warning, he could be coming your
way tomorrow.

Terry Duckmanton

--
It's not me that's stopping you from overtaking, it's all
them cars coming the other way!

Terry D wrote:

> Wrong answer. This guy knew all about cycling and how it
> should be done properly, how it used to be done by
> cyclists in his day. He went on to explain that I should
> wait at the left hand side of the road and cross when the
> road is clear of traffic. I was so sure I had been doing
> it right all this time, but I have been shown the error of
> my ways. So much for Cyclecraft and the Highway Code and
> all the U.R.C. gurus. They are all wrong. The only man who
> knows how to turn right on a bicycle is a belligerent old
> fart in the next road to me.

Since you know where he lives, perhaps you could leave a
copy of the highway code under his windscreen wiper, with a
note that he should keep his knowledge up to date.

Terry D <[email protected]> writed in

> ...I did anyway. Chase after the car that is.

> at a staggered junction just before the point where I turn
> right into our Crescent. I have adopted the strategy of
> moving to the right-hand side of the straight on lane in
> order to move to the centre of the road as I leave the
> roundabout(s). This puts me in a good position to turn
> right into the Crescent. Unfortunately for me many
> motorists can't see the sense in this manoeuvre and
> several have been known to demonstrate their displeasure
> by driving very close to me and in some cases shouting
> abuse. This evening's exponent of the Art Of Showing The
> Lycra Brigade How You Feel was behind me until just before
> I reached the right turn for the Crescent.
Lots of the above snipped

The blokes obviously a t*ssp*t - but the skool of 'ard
knocks teaches us to treat all other road users as such.
There's a similar arrangement near where I live, and
experience has shown me that clear, unambiguous hand signals
of where I intend going, along with defensive road
positioning is the only way to approach it. Paradoxicly the
junction I now have most encounters of the third kind tends
to be the one at the end of my cul-de-sac. Most vehicles
turn left, or right - it's only the few (select few!) who go
straight on into the cul-de-sac. Pesuading the t*ssp*ts that
I'm in the middle of the road and NOT turning right seems to
be well nigh impossible.

Mike - Leicester

Simon Brooke wrote:

> in message <jYLtc.81$984.10@newsfe5-win>, Terry D
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>

>>Wrong answer. This guy knew all about cycling and how it
>>should be done properly, how it used to be done by
>>cyclists in his day. He went on to explain that I should
>>wait at the left hand side of the road and cross when the
>>road is clear of traffic.
>

> Take his registration number and go and lodge a complaint
> at the police station. They will send someone round to
> talk to him.

Hadn't thought of that. I'll have a chat with the plod
contingent in the hostelry tomorrow evening. Less formal,
more likely to get a result. Ta!

Simon Brooke wrote:
> Take his registration number and go and lodge a complaint
> at the police station. They will send someone round to
> talk to him.

That seems rather overoptimistic, based on my experiences
with the police.

I prefer Simon Proven's suggestion. I actually typed part of
the HC along with a brief note and left it under the
windscreen of a neighbour's white van a few years ago. I got
much more room whenever he passed me after that.

(Actually I like the suggestion of complaining to the
police, as well, but realistically I'd expect to be fobbed
off with an explanation of why they can't do anything
without witnesses).

--
Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my
reply address)

Mike Gayler wrote:

> The blokes obviously a t*ssp*t - but the skool of 'ard
> knocks teaches us to treat all other road users as such.
> There's a similar arrangement near where I live, and
> experience has shown me that clear, unambiguous hand
> signals of where I intend going, along with defensive road
> positioning is the only way to approach it. Paradoxicly
> the junction I now have most encounters of the third kind
> tends to be the one at the end of my cul-de-sac. Most
> vehicles turn left, or right - it's only the few (select
> few!) who go straight on into the cul-de-sac. Pesuading
> the t*ssp*ts that I'm in the middle of the road and NOT
> turning right seems to be well nigh impossible.
>
> Mike - Leicester

I've been cycling the same route home for a shade over three
years now. The last bit of the home stretch was scary at
first, but I developed a way of dealing with it which made
most of the other road users respect the fact that I was
there and that I knew where I was going, even if they
didn't. There are no cycle farcilities along this last
stretch as a cyclist I am entirely on my own. The biggest
problem is the number of cars which park on the right hand
side of the road (as seen by me cycling homeward) forcing
the oncoming cars to move into the centre of the road and
restrict the available space. Hand signals are dodgy to say
the least. If there are cars coming up on my left I like to
let them know that I intend to turn right, but the oncoming
vehicles make the process of sticking an arm out a bit of a
gamble. I would hate to lose an arm just to let some t*ssp*t
know that I was in the middle of the road for a reason.

I think I can feel a letter to the local council coming on.

And one to my MP.

And possibly another to that Bob geezer on ****** off
Britannia or whatever it's called. (Perhaps that last
one was OTT?)

Terry Duckmanton (aka "Annoyed a lot, of Guildford")

:)

Don't worry about me too much, I'm going to watch England
play the Barbarians tomorrow, I'll get rid of all the
agression at Twickenham.

Danny Colyer wrote:

> Simon Brooke wrote:
>
>> Take his registration number and go and lodge a complaint
>> at the police station. They will send someone round to
>> talk to him.
>

> That seems rather overoptimistic, based on my experiences
> with the police.
>
> I prefer Simon Proven's suggestion. I actually typed part
> of the HC along with a brief note and left it under the
> windscreen of a neighbour's white van a few years ago. I
> got much more room whenever he passed me after that.
>
> (Actually I like the suggestion of complaining to the
> police, as well, but realistically I'd expect to be fobbed
> off with an explanation of why they can't do anything
> without witnesses).

I still favour a chat with Ex Inspector Plod down the pub.
It's not what you know.....

Terry D

Danny Colyer wrote:

> (Actually I like the suggestion of complaining to the
> police, as well, but realistically I'd expect to be fobbed
> off with an explanation of why they can't do anything
> without witnesses).

I used to be that jaded ;-) but a recent experience made me
much more appreciative of the boys in blue. A pair of morons
decide to buzz me close, the passenger leaning out of his
window and giving me a shove as they passed, with the
obligatory incoherent whoop. Got his registration but no
witnesses, so didn't expect much. Police came round, took a
statement, and phoned me back a few days later - they'd
chatted with the driver twice, first at his house in front
of his wife, then at his work (heheh). He'd had a sudden
attack of amnesia, it seems, and forgotten who was in his
car that day and indeed the entire incident - and
regretfully, without witnesses and all, there wasn't a
realistic chance of conviction - but in the words of the
policeman, "he was scared shitless" ;-)

> few (select few!) who go straight on into the cul-de-sac.
> Pesuading the t*ssp*ts that I'm in the middle of the road
> and NOT turning right seems to be well nigh impossible.

I suppose you've tried the old 'I intend to go straight
ahead' sign for driver to policeman ahead.I usually raise my
right arm to the side, flexed at 90deg at the elbow and try
to exude confidence . Although it probably lacks modern
official recognition I would say it still is understood if
delivered sensibly and definitely in the right
circumstance.I don't do it often. It helps to look them in
the eye in a cheery way as well. Sometimes it may be clearer
to point to where you are going. Some drivers are just not
willing to think at all,but most will respond if you make
the effort to be nice .

Come to think of it I did 90 miles through notts and lincs
yesterday and had not one single bad driver incident.The
motorbikes seemed to be reasonably behaved.Even the
unlicenced scramble bikes only were to be seen in remote
fields where no-one was bothered.Perhaps I was high on
endorphins and just didn't notice. TerryJ TerryJ