You shouldn't be there! - Long

Sniper8052(L96A1)

Guest
Whilst indulging in a spot of the obligatory DIY today I discovered I
needed few more bits and bobs, blowtorch, flux, joints etc...
I could not get the car out for a 'quick' 6 miles to the shop as the
community skip lorry was doing its thing so I took the jolly old - new -
racing bike for a spin.

Flashing along and wanting to turn right over the bridge system I
crossed the four lanes to take up position for the giratory road system.
Pulled up at the lights and waited, not bothered by and not bothering
anybody when up pulls a plod car, the window goes down on the drivers
side and a head pops out.

Young Plod - "Nice bike you've got there"
Me - "Yes"
Young Plod - "Going out for a ride"
Me - "Yes"
Young Plod - "Where you going"
Me - "Over there"
Young Plod - "You know your in the wrong lane"
Me - "Hows that"
Young Plod - "You should be over there" - Points to the near side lane
four over.
Me - "Can't turn right from there"
Young Plod - "It's dangerous to ride your bike in this lane"
Me - "Be a lot more dangerous turning right from over there"
Young Plod - "Is it yours"
Me - "What"
Young Plod - "The bike"
Me - "Yes"
Young Plod - "Your not wearing cycling clothing"
Me - "No" - wearing old combats, boots and sweatshirt, very dirty as had
been crawling around under the floorboards.
Young Plod - "Your not wearing a helmet either"
Me - "No"
Young Plod - "Just pull up over there for me"
Me - "Why"
Young plod - "I want a word with you"
Me - "What for"
Young Plod - "Don't argue"
Me - "About what"

At this point young plod had had enough and tripped his blue lights...

Young Plod - "get off"
Me - Feeling a bit like finding out how far he would go - "Have I done
something wrong"
Young Plod - "Like I said your in the wrong lane"
Me - "Is that a road traffic offence" - he should have picked up on this!
Young Plod - "Yes"
Me - "Oh" - Get off bike

Young Plod then gets out of car and tells me how he could do me for
dangerous cycling and how I should be wearing a cycle helmet.

Me - "Is that the law then - cycle helmets"
Young Plod - "No but its a lot safer"
Me - "There's never been a study that proved that you know"
Young Plod - "I cycle and I always wear a helmet"
Me - "That's your choice"
Young Plod - "Your not taking this very seriously"
Me - "Aren't I"
Young Plod - "Right - Lets see what you think about getting a fine for
dangerous cycling"
Me - "Your going to give me a ticket"
Young Plod - "I might if you continue like this"
Me - "Am I riding dangerously then"
Young Plod - "Yes"
Me - "How"
Young Plod - "You shouldn't be in the outside lane you should turn right
from the nearside kerb"
Me - "Oh, does it say that in the Road Traffic Act then"
Young Plod - "Do you have any ID"
Me - "What for"
Young Plod - "Because I asked you"
Me - "Are you going to give me a ticket then"
Young Plod - "I've had enough of this what's your name"
Me - "******"
Young Plod - "What do you do for a living"
Me - "I train people"
Young Plod - "Who for"
Me - "The police"
Young Plod - "Oh"
Me - "Does that make a difference"
Young Plod - "Err"
Me - "Do I get a copy of a stop form then"
Young Plod -"Err"
Me - "I really think I should get a copy of a stop form"
Young Plod -"Do we need to do that"
Me - "Yes"
Young Plod - writes out stop form - Name?
Me - "Sgt..."
Young Plod - Finishes the stop form - hands it to me
Me - "Next time you think of abusing your powers you might like to think
about who your talking to first"
Young Plod -"Yes Sarge"
Me - "Do I need to write to your skipper about this"
Young Plod - "No Sarge"
Me - "You think you've learnt your lesson then"
Young Plod - "Yes Sarge"
Me - "You think I should let you get away with this then"
Young Plod - "I think I made a mistake"
Me - "I think you did"
Young Plod - "Are you going to write to my Sergeant then Sarge"
Me - "I think he needs to know, don't you"
Me - "I'll tell you what, You tell your Sergeant and get them to call me
later"
Young Plod - "Yes Sergeant"
Me - "Be sure you do - or I will be writing officially"
Young Plod - "Yes Sergeant" Gets back in car and drives off.

Had chat with female sergeant later - turns out he did tell her and got
bulled for his actions.

Obviously the above is not a word for word but it's pretty close.

Sniper8052

Sniper8052(L96A1) wrote on 06/05/2007 23:37 +0100:

> Obviously the above is not a word for word but it's pretty close.
>
> Sniper8052

:) :) :)

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

"Sniper8052(L96A1)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:iMs%[email protected]...
> Whilst indulging in a spot of the obligatory DIY today I discovered I
> needed few more bits and bobs, blowtorch, flux, joints etc...
> I could not get the car out for a 'quick' 6 miles to the shop as the
> community skip lorry was doing its thing so I took the jolly old - new -
> racing bike for a spin.
>
> Flashing along and wanting to turn right over the bridge system I crossed
> the four lanes to take up position for the giratory road system.
> Pulled up at the lights and waited, not bothered by and not bothering
> anybody when up pulls a plod car, the window goes down on the drivers side
> and a head pops out.

(snip story)

It's like a Frank Spencer programme :)

Hopefully he'll have learned his lesson early..

cheers,
clive

Sniper8052(L96A1) wrote:
> Whilst indulging in a spot of the obligatory DIY today I discovered I
> needed few more bits and bobs, blowtorch, flux, joints etc...
> I could not get the car out for a 'quick' 6 miles to the shop as the
> community skip lorry was doing its thing so I took the jolly old - new -
> racing bike for a spin.
>
> Flashing along and wanting to turn right over the bridge system I
> crossed the four lanes to take up position for the giratory road system.
> Pulled up at the lights and waited, not bothered by and not bothering
> anybody when up pulls a plod car, the window goes down on the drivers
> side and a head pops out.
> Me - "I'll tell you what, You tell your Sergeant and get them to
> call me later"
> Young Plod - "Yes Sergeant"
> Me - "Be sure you do - or I will be writing officially"

All I can say is that I go round Hanger Lane Gyratory 5 days a week,
starting in lane 4 of 4, which turns into 4 of 5, then 3 of 5, then 1
of about 8 as I exit. I would hate to do it any other way. So far no
plod have commented, which is just as well, as I have no rank to pull
on them.

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at
the population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as

Thanks for giving me a good giggle!

The story does say something about the education of some Plod, doesn't it?

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

"Sniper8052(L96A1)" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Young Plod - "Nice bike you've got there"
>Me - "Yes"

[...]

LOL, great story.

>Me - "Next time you think of abusing your powers you might like to think
>about who your talking to first"

I hope you don't mean to say that it would have been ok had it been an
ordinary citizen :)

--
Membrane

> [...]
> Me - "Do I need to write to your skipper about this"
> Young Plod - "No Sarge"
> Me - "You think you've learnt your lesson then"
> Young Plod - "Yes Sarge"
> Me - "You think I should let you get away with this then"
> Young Plod - "I think I made a mistake"
> Me - "I think you did"
> Young Plod - "Are you going to write to my Sergeant then Sarge"
> Me - "I think he needs to know, don't you"
> Me - "I'll tell you what, You tell your Sergeant and get them to call me
> later"
> Young Plod - "Yes Sergeant"
> Me - "Be sure you do - or I will be writing officially"
> Young Plod - "Yes Sergeant" Gets back in car and drives off.
>
> Had chat with female sergeant later - turns out he did tell her and got
> bulled for his actions.
>
> Obviously the above is not a word for word but it's pretty close.

Was I the only one to get incredibly annoyed at this story?
Who's to say it doesn't happen all the time, but we don't get to hear about
it.

Good for Sniper - but slightly worrying about the whole tone of 'bullying'
the cyclist...

Graham

in message <iMs%[email protected]>, Sniper805
(L96A1) ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Whilst indulging in a spot of the obligatory DIY today I discovered I
> needed few more bits and bobs, blowtorch, flux, joints etc...
> I could not get the car out for a 'quick' 6 miles to the shop as the
> community skip lorry was doing its thing so I took the jolly old - new -
> racing bike for a spin.
>
> Flashing along and wanting to turn right over the bridge system I
> crossed the four lanes to take up position for the giratory road system.
> Pulled up at the lights and waited, not bothered by and not bothering
> anybody when up pulls a plod car, the window goes down on the drivers
> side and a head pops out.

Wunderbar!

Most excellent.

;; Human history becomes more and more a race between
;; education and catastrophe.
H.G. Wells, "The Outline of History"

"Slark" <[email protected]>typed

> Was I the only one to get incredibly annoyed at this story?
> Who's to say it doesn't happen all the time, but we don't get to hear about
> it.

> Good for Sniper - but slightly worrying about the whole tone of 'bullying'
> the cyclist...

Bike is the new Black...

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

> Young Plod - "What do you do for a living"
> Me - "I train people"
> Young Plod - "Who for"
> Me - "The police"
> Young Plod - "Oh"

It was only when I got to this bit that I realised it was you posting :)

Sniper8052(L96A1) wrote:

<snip>

> Young Plod - "What do you do for a living"
> Me - "I train people"
> Young Plod - "Who for"
> Me - "The police"

<snip>

> Me - "Do I need to write to your skipper about this"
> Young Plod - "No Sarge"

<snip>

Priceless. But its idiots like this that give the Police a bad name.
Most of them do a good job under diffilcult conditions, then you bump
into one of these and tend to tar the whole lot with the same brush.
Good story though.

On Sun, 06 May 2007 22:37:02 GMT, "Sniper8052(L96A1)"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Young Plod - "I've had enough of this what's your name"
>Me - "******"
>Young Plod - "What do you do for a living"
>Me - "I train people"
>Young Plod - "Who for"
>Me - "The police"
>Young Plod - "Oh"
>Me - "Does that make a difference"
>Young Plod - "Err"
>Me - "Do I get a copy of a stop form then"
>Young Plod -"Err"
>Me - "I really think I should get a copy of a stop form"
>Young Plod -"Do we need to do that"
>Me - "Yes"
>Young Plod - writes out stop form - Name?
>Me - "Sgt..."

Apart from asking, did the constable ever confirm your identity?

Clive George wrote on 07/05/2007 00:00 +0100:

> (snip story)
>
> It's like a Frank Spencer programme :)
>
> Hopefully he'll have learned his lesson early..

The problem being the police are institutionally anti-cyclist especially
at the "too much power for their own ego" constable level. If it had not
been Sniper on the bike we could have had Daniel Cadden II here. Its
just not good enough.

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

Well done. I do hope he has learnt his lesson. Funny story with serious
aspect to it. If it had happened to a 'civilian' with no rank to pull.
Shades of the Daniel Cadden case, methinks?

Sniper8052(L96A1) wrote:

> Flashing along and wanting to turn right over the bridge system I
> crossed the four lanes to take up position for the giratory road system.
> Pulled up at the lights and waited, not bothered by and not bothering
> anybody when up pulls a plod car, the window goes down on the drivers
> side and a head pops out.

Apart from being an amusing story, this raises some interesting points.

- Should the police stop people if it looks as though they don't fit the
bike they are on. It could be argued that one of YP's concerns was that
Sniper was riding a stolen bike.

- If YP had done this to someone who did not know their stuff, it would
have intimidated them into taking up a more dangerous road position.

- If YP had done this to someone who did know their stuff, but did not
have the backing of the job, what would the outcome have been?

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

A child of five could understand this! Fetch me a child of five.

I am so glad you're here.

Sniper8052(L96A1) said:
[...]

On May 7, 2:30 am, Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]>
wrote:
> "Slark" <[email protected]>typed
>
> > Was I the only one to get incredibly annoyed at this story?
> > Who's to say it doesn't happen all the time, but we don't get to hear about
> > it.
> > Good for Sniper - but slightly worrying about the whole tone of 'bullying'
> > the cyclist...

> Bike is the new Black...

"Say it once, say it loud; I'm black and I'm proud."

The Police are mostly pro law not anti-cyclist. It's just that like in every walk of life the young ones are often somewhat enthusiastic and filled with self importance with new power.

Next time Young Plod might think before acting. It might be Sniper in new clothes ;-)

Tony Raven said:

> (snip story)
>
> It's like a Frank Spencer programme :)
>
> Hopefully he'll have learned his lesson early..

The problem being the police are institutionally anti-cyclist especially
at the "too much power for their own ego" constable level. If it had not
been Sniper on the bike we could have had Daniel Cadden II here. Its
just not good enough.

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

Sniper8052(L96A1) <[email protected]> wrote:

> Me - "You think I should let you get away with this then"
> Young Plod - "I think I made a mistake"
> Me - "I think you did"
> Young Plod - "Are you going to write to my Sergeant then Sarge"
> Me - "I think he needs to know, don't you"
> Me - "I'll tell you what, You tell your Sergeant and get them to call me
> later"
> Young Plod - "Yes Sergeant"
> Me - "Be sure you do - or I will be writing officially"
> Young Plod - "Yes Sergeant" Gets back in car and drives off.
>
> Had chat with female sergeant later - turns out he did tell her and got
> bulled for his actions.

I've only once had an issue with a copper. (I can't count being stopped
for cycling the wrong way down a one way street across a pedestrian
crossing as an issue. I learnt my lesson.)

I had been filtering up through a line of stopped traffic when a lone
plod stopped me and made me wait for the line of stopped traffic to
pass. Apparently it's illegal to jump the queue.

Well done for pursuing the issue above. At the point where Young Plod
was trying to weasel his way out of things I was concerned that he might
have been allowed to do so.

Cheers,
Luke

--