I know Lance well

jimmypop said:
And the Olsen twins have both touched John Stamos, who has (presumably) touched Rebecca Romijn. Point to Armstrong.
Lance Armstrong hit one of the Olsen twins
The Olsen twins were in "New York Minute" with Eugene Levy,
who was in "The Man" with Samuel L. Jackson,
who was in "Basic" with Tim Daly,
who was in "Diner" with Kevin Bacon

kennf said:
Who's Boone?
He meant bone. He miss-keyed it. He was on a bone, riding it. Riding a bone deep in the mountains of North Carolina like Deliverance.

See, it wasn't dope that he was on. He was on a bone. Top shelf ****. Systematic. A real program. Not cow blood. No. Pure deep woods North Carolina bone.

Undetectable. No testing for Carolina bone, much less deep mountain North Carolina bone. Not in 1999. Not today.

He should have titled his book, "It's About The Bone."

thoughtforfood said:
who went to the same school as Malkmus's kids...so we are all within six degrees of separation...:cool:

How Lance Armstrong Gets His Unusual Energy

By SANDRA BLAKESLEE
Lance Armstrong's strength and endurance sometimes seem too extraordinary to be believed.

Armstrong, a six-time winner of the Tour de France bicycle race who next month will try for his seventh straight victory, can cover 32 miles in one hour of riding. In contrast, the average cyclist covers 16 miles; a top marathon runner can cover 21 miles on a bike.
Lance Armstrong can cover 32 miles in one hour of cycling.

Armstrong can ride up the mountains in France generating about 500 watts of power for 20 minutes, something a typical 25-year-old could do for only 30 seconds. A professional hockey player might last three minutes - and then throw up.

So how does he do it?

According to a scientist who studied Armstrong at regular intervals from 1992 to 1999, his prowess can be explained by a set of physiological changes that took place in his body over those seven years and that, in all probability, are continuing.

The changes are described in an article titled "Improved Muscular Efficiency Displayed as Tour de France Champion Matures" in the June issue of The Journal of Applied Physiology.
The scientist, Dr. Edward Coyle, director of the Human Performance Laboratory at the University of Texas, has studied cyclists for 25 years. He says they need large hearts and low levels of lactic acid - the byproduct of intense exercise - in their blood. Their efficiency, measured as how many watts of cycling power are generated for a given cycling input, needs to be high.

"Lance came to us when he when could do to improve himself."
Armstrong, Dr. Coyle said, indeed had an exceptionally large heart and low lactic acid. "But his muscle efficiency was not very good," he said. "It came in at 21 percent. That first year two other athletes we studied were better."

Armstrong showed subsequent improvements until his career was stopped short in 1996 with a diagnosis of testicular cancer. Eight months after his treatment ended, he was back in the Austin laboratory.

"He wanted to know if anything was permanently wrong," Dr. Coyle said.
They took measurements and found nothing to stop him, except his own willingness to compete.

Armstrong did compete. "In the next two years his heart got even better, his lactic acid dropped further and, amazingly, his efficiency increased to 23 percent," Dr. Coyle said.
That may not sound like much, but it means that for the same level of oxygen consumption, Armstrong gets more power to the pedals. By taking off body weight, he was delivering 18 percent more power to his muscles.

There is only one way such efficiency could improve, Dr. Coyle said: more slow-twitch muscles, the type that do not burn out quickly and that are used in standing or walking. Fast-twitch muscles, which burn out fast, are used for sprinting and heavy lifting.
Rodent studies show that chronic stimulation to muscle tissue increases the amount of slow-twitch fibers, Dr. Coyle said. Armstrong appears to have increased the proportion of his slow-twitch muscles from 60 percent to 80 percent.

In bicycle races, slow-twitch fibers are up to twice as efficient as fast twitch.

Oh man, Coyle. Does that guy still have a job?

"Hey Lance, what's your weight this week? Thanks!"

I find this part most interesting:

Armstrong did compete. "In the next two years his heart got even better, his lactic acid dropped further and, amazingly, his efficiency increased to 23 percent," Dr. Coyle said. "I'd attribute this to the bone he rode in the mountains of North Carolina during his cum back. Some say dope, but if you ask Lance he'll tell you he was on the NC bone.

TFF, what's up with that NC bone? I lived in NC for a while, but I stayed mostly on the coast due in part to the storied NC bone. I never thought of using it for a training device.

helmutRoole2 said:
I find this part most interesting:

TFF, what's up with that NC bone? I lived in NC for a while, but I stayed mostly on the coast due in part to the storied NC bone. I never thought of using it for a training device.
I think it means he took the seat off and rode the post?? That is one sick ****er.

thoughtforfood said:
I think it means he took the seat off and rode the post?? That is one sick ****er.
Did he leave the seat crown on or is that something he'd have to work up to.

thoughtforfood said:
who went to my kid's elementary school.

jimmypop said:
Oh man, Coyle. Does that guy still have a job?

"Hey Lance, what's your weight this week? Thanks!"

Man, that study has been shot full of so many holes I'm surprised Coyle himself hasn't formally withdrawn it.

Didn't Lemond or Decanio have a story about talking to Coyle at a conference and telling him about Lance consulting with Ferrari, and Coyle got an expression on his face like "Are you f****ing kidding me?"

thoughtforfood said:
I think he left the crown on, but only because it had titanium bolts.
I can see that. Yeah. If you've got the ti bolts you've got to put them us.

helmutRoole2 said:
I can see that. Yeah. If you've got the ti bolts you've got to put them us.
I heard rumors of a carbon splinter accident, and a backdated PED involving some steroid cream, but that is just hearsay. Ouch, that had to hurt if true!!!

Now let me get this straight ....Lance was in the habit of getting his balloon knot regularly stretched by Mathew McConnaughy's bone and he's claiming that this was responsible for his vast improvement in cadence?
Do I have this right?

stevebaby said:
Now let me get this straight ....Lance was in the habit of getting his balloon knot regularly stretched by Mathew McConnaughy's bone and he's claiming that this was responsible for his vast improvement in cadence?
Do I have this right?
Yea, something like that....it increased his watts too.

stevebaby said:
Do I have this right?

Now I am worried.
When SB starts getting involved in a race thread!

(SB's views are more than welcome - just not used to seeing him out here)

limerickman said:
Now I am worried.
When SB starts getting involved in a race thread!

(SB's views are more than welcome - just not used to seeing him out here)
It might be a stretch calling this thread "a race thread" though Lim... :rolleyes: :D

Martin Jackson said:
Anyway, nearing the end of the ride, I told Lance, "If you need any help beating those guys in the Tour de France, just let me know. I can bring the power like Scotty. I can get anything you need," and he knew exactly what I was talking about.

Lance said, "I don't need that ****. I win without it."

That last sentence is enough for me... I'm convinced!
:rolleyes: