I Need to Hang out a Sign!

jpr95

Oct 11, 2010
I hope I'm done working on bikes for a little while.

There is a Habitat for Humanity ride coming up (Purdue to I.U., called the Bucket 100). Two days, 120 miles. I volunteered what mechanic skills I have to go over the bikes that the PU chapter of HfH owns to get them ready for the ride in mid-October, and for any pre-Bucket riding the students who borrow them may do.

Not a big deal EXCEPT I had some mechanical difficulties on my own bike during a 34 mile ride Saturday (not ride-ending, just annoying), plus I needed to do something on all three bikes that my kids use, plus one kid switched from one to another we had laying around which also needed some tuning and a tube. My daughter is almost as tall as my wife, so she commandeered the bike my wife has had for 15 years and never rides, and now my wife wants another bike...

I haven't even gotten to touch the motorcycle I bought 2+ weeks ago (yep, you guessed it--needs some work--some now to ride it this fall and more extensive work this winter once I clean out a spot for it in the garage...)

I'm tired.

I feel for you. I have several bikes of my own that I maintain. I also have a lot of cycling friends who bring their bikes to me because I have the tools and knowledge to do most any kind of repair short of welding, and because I only charge for replacement parts and a pizza for the labor. Like you, it seems that my life now revolves around fixing someones bike and working. Many nights I have sat with the TV on and my wheel building bench in front of me lacing spokes while watching America's Got Talent. I think that I will finish out this season and when the rush for repairs starts next March, I'll be directing a lot of my friends to my LBS. They can use the business and I can stand to eat a lot less pizza and get a life.

Now what would you do for a "Budwieser Select" /img/vbsmilies/smilies/duck.gif