I think they're called "saddle sores"

AmpedCycle

Dec 29, 2004
Hi, I have a medical quesiton about the irritation I get on my butt from riding. I think they're called saddle sores, but not sure, all I know is that they are painful zits and hurt. Anyone know what they are, how to get rid of them, or anything else that will help?
Thank you
Keep on truckin'

AmpedCycle said:
Hi, I have a medical quesiton about the irritation I get on my butt from riding. I think they're called saddle sores, but not sure, all I know is that they are painful zits and hurt. Anyone know what they are, how to get rid of them, or anything else that will help?
Thank you
Keep on truckin'
First of all of, NEVER wear dirty cycling shorts (I learned this the painful way). Tiny bacteria form from your sweat and as you ride and your skin becomes tender the bacteria cause the zits. Wash yourself thoroughly after rides. When you get sores, or zits, try using neosporin or polysporin and keep the area clean. I had problems with this last season, I bought more bibs to last me between laundry days and have taken better care in washing myself. This has helped a lot, but I still get them occasionally. I don't know if there's anyway to elimate them completey. Also, check and see if the irritation is where you may have stiching or something in your shorts that is rubbing againt you. Nasty topic, but I hope this helps.

OCRoadie said:
First of all of, NEVER wear dirty cycling shorts (I learned this the painful way). Tiny bacteria form from your sweat and as you ride and your skin becomes tender the bacteria cause the zits. Wash yourself thoroughly after rides. When you get sores, or zits, try using neosporin or polysporin and keep the area clean. I had problems with this last season, I bought more bibs to last me between laundry days and have taken better care in washing myself. This has helped a lot, but I still get them occasionally. I don't know if there's anyway to elimate them completey. Also, check and see if the irritation is where you may have stiching or something in your shorts that is rubbing againt you. Nasty topic, but I hope this helps.

Strange I was about to post a question about this... I thought saddle sores were like blisters, and I never had any, but now I have really upped my mileage and I have this zit-like sore that I thought was just an ingrown hair or something... So now that I know it is a saddle sore, is it safe to keep riding, or do I need time off the bike to let it totally heal?

AmpedCycle said:
Thank you
Keep on truckin'
Also, try a booty lube like Chamois Butt'r. I found that avoiding rough roads has helped also since all the bumps and vibrations cause more than their fair share of chaffing.

wilmar13 said:
Strange I was about to post a question about this... I thought saddle sores were like blisters, and I never had any, but now I have really upped my mileage and I have this zit-like sore that I thought was just an ingrown hair or something... So now that I know it is a saddle sore, is it safe to keep riding, or do I need time off the bike to let it totally heal?
Pop that zit, put some antiseptic on it, put some padding on it, and keep going...

I dont get zits as such but i get this lumps that get sore almost like ingrown hairs without a head. I usually lance them when they start to get sore and they seem to be full of blood. The only come and go everyone and a while so i have never worried about them much. And yes i do use a Anti-Chafe cream made by Bluesteel.

in.10.city said:
Pop that zit, put some antiseptic on it, put some padding on it, and keep going...

Well there is nothing to pop, it is similar to the other post of a sore that looks and feels like an ingrown hair. Either way I will pad and keep on going. Thanks.

I know the problem, it is not easy to drive with. Since I shaved my but it is mutch better, actually I rasin my but. It is very painfull at the time.

AmpedCycle said:
Thank you
Keep on truckin'
I'm not sure, cause I was never into "heavy" cycling, but I don't think zits are saddle sores, if that's true, when I lift do I have "shoulder sores" since I get zits on my shoulders where I sweat? I think that your pores sweat and get clogged up, that is why you get zits. But like I said I never had saddle sores, so I'm making an educated guess.

OCRoadie said:

I've had it happen in other motorsports I'm involved in, we call it "monkey butt". I finally found a clever cure. Before any activity that gets me "monkey butt", I rub a little of the stuff they put on babys butts for diaper rash. WOrk it up and down the "ol' crack" :eek: and VIOLA works like a charm, no more monkey butt. It's nasty though, sticks to everything. Something to do with excessive sweat, heat, and friction.

Works for me.

jcjordan said:
I dont get zits as such but i get this lumps that get sore almost like ingrown hairs without a head. I usually lance them when they start to get sore and they seem to be full of blood. The only come and go everyone and a while so i have never worried about them much. And yes i do use a Anti-Chafe cream made by Bluesteel.

How do you lance them? I have been riding 6 days a week and find that I get these now and then. It is exactly as you have described, lump without a head but crazy sore!!

roundsquare1 said:
How do you lance them? I have been riding 6 days a week and find that I get these now and then. It is exactly as you have described, lump without a head but crazy sore!!

get some tissue, this is important as quite often the amount of stuff that comes out consists of blood and puss in large amounts.

Squezze the nodule and somewhere in the centre stick a sharp thin pin slowly till you get past the first level of resistance and then remove.

Give the area a good clean with an antibacterial wipe or soap, cleaning the area regularly makes the nodules heal sooner.

You may need to repeat the process a number of times over a couple of weeks.

wilmar13 said:
Well there is nothing to pop, it is similar to the other post of a sore that looks and feels like an ingrown hair. Either way I will pad and keep on going. Thanks.
I find that tea-tree oil clears them up faster than anything else. I really would not attempt to ***** or pop them. Clean cycling shorts for every ride are essential.

I am religious about clean shorts. I always wear a clean pair. Always get out of the shorts after a ride.

I used to use Butt Buttah and Assoso (sp?) and when I stoped a few weeks ago it seemed to happen.

at 6' 225lbs, I need to lose about 25 lbs to also minimize it....but it's a crazy cycle, bike more to lose weight and these sores seem to appear, etc...

also, I went through almost all of the posts and found that I had similar things to others.

I have these two, one on my inner leg by the groin and the other about 2 from the navel.

I could see where the hair was being pulled and I guess the squeezing it made it worse.

it really sucks since I want to ride really bad.

There are a couple of new posts on the "leg shaving/waxing" page that may help. Really. Neither of them suggest shaving or waxing as a cure so don't be afraid to look there.

roundsquare1 said:
I am religious about clean shorts. I always wear a clean pair. Always get out of the shorts after a ride.

I used to use Butt Buttah and Assoso (sp?) and when I stoped a few weeks ago it seemed to happen.

at 6' 225lbs, I need to lose about 25 lbs to also minimize it....but it's a crazy cycle, bike more to lose weight and these sores seem to appear, etc...

also, I went through almost all of the posts and found that I had similar things to others.

I have these two, one on my inner leg by the groin and the other about 2 from the navel.

I could see where the hair was being pulled and I guess the squeezing it made it worse.

it really sucks since I want to ride really bad.

So, one looks like it's draining (unsightly I must say) and one is just hard and really really sore!!

Do I go to through the hassle of going to the doctor and getting anitbiotics or just stay off the bike a few days, keep it clean and leave it alone?

roundsquare1 said:
So, one looks like it's draining (unsightly I must say) and one is just hard and really really sore!!

Do I go to through the hassle of going to the doctor and getting anitbiotics or just stay off the bike a few days, keep it clean and leave it alone?
Thanks for sharing.
If it hurts to cycle then stay off the bike for a couple of days and it will clear up. I still recomend Tea-tree oil.

Don Shipp said:
I find that tea-tree oil clears them up faster than anything else. I really would not attempt to ***** or pop them. Clean cycling shorts for every ride are essential.

I ended up having to go to the doctor and having it drained. Totally sucked and hurt like crazy.

But I wanted to say that the Tea Tree Oil totally works!

Thanks for the suggestion!

I have suffered from MAJOR saddle sores. The sore wouldent heal because it was on the crease inbetween my leg and my private area. Come to find out, after going on a century ride, my seat was tilted to the side ever so slightly, causing alot of pressure on that area. Which, resulted in a boil. I had tried EVERY remedy I could think of to heal it, none in which worked. I ultimatly had to go to my doctor, who prescribed antibiotics, and a cream to apply. That was the ONLY thing that worked for me. The doctor told me not to let any saddle sores "go" when they are bothersome and will not heal up, because it can result in a staff infection, and then it gets pretty serious. It sucked.

Sparky511 said:
I have suffered from MAJOR saddle sores. The sore wouldent heal because it was on the crease inbetween my leg and my private area. Come to find out, after going on a century ride, my seat was tilted to the side ever so slightly, causing alot of pressure on that area. Which, resulted in a boil. I had tried EVERY remedy I could think of to heal it, none in which worked. I ultimatly had to go to my doctor, who prescribed antibiotics, and a cream to apply. That was the ONLY thing that worked for me. The doctor told me not to let any saddle sores "go" when they are bothersome and will not heal up, because it can result in a staff infection, and then it gets pretty serious. It sucked.

SUCKS is an understatement!

I was off the bike for a week twice this year. Both times having to get it cut at the dotors which sucks even more.

Finally, I bought a bigger size shorts which has made a HUGE difference.

I also changed my saddle. I was using an fizik alante (sp?) which I really like but it has a wider nose than my old San Marco.

So far I have had pretty good luck but I haven't done rides over 60 miles yet.