I want plain black jerseys

Sn4fu

May 7, 2006
Doesn't sound so hard to find does it? I've just spent the better part of two hours looking for plain black, and couldn't find it. I did find 2-3 that are mostly black with a bit of white or grey, which is ok, but most of them were by Asso and are $150! Way more then I'm gonna spend. Anyone know where I can get plain ole black?

Maybe they don't make them because they recognise that most cyclists prefer to be seen by other road users when they're out riding.

MediaCreations said:
Maybe they don't make them because they recognise that most cyclists prefer to be seen by other road users when they're out riding.

Exactly, and a black jersey isn't a great idea in the middle of summer either.

OFF TOPIC:

Black jerseys also have some history. Traditionally, the last placed rider in GC at the Giro wore a black jersey ('la maglia nera'). It is no longer 'awarded'. It has, however, found its way into the language, with people now referring to someone who comes in last as the 'maglia nera'.

At some point in the heyday of the Giro (50s) it actually became quite a followed competition, which brought quite a bit of media attention (with the maglia nera regularly being interviewed and such). No longer!

first of all $150 is not crazy to pay for a good jersey, also, check out www.rapha.cc they should have something in plain black, it will cost more, but it will also last forever, and they stand behind their products more than most companies.

I have a Castelli jersey that is nearly all black. It has a little bit of white design on the tops of the shoulders that extend down the outside of the sleeves and a couple white scorpion logos. I think Castelli may have changed the design so it may not still be available.

I wear it in the heat, too. No problem. Have not yet been run over by an SUV.

Powerful Pete said:
OFF TOPIC:

Black jerseys also have some history. Traditionally, the last placed rider in GC at the Giro wore a black jersey ('la maglia nera'). It is no longer 'awarded'. It has, however, found its way into the language, with people now referring to someone who comes in last as the 'maglia nera'.

At some point in the heyday of the Giro (50s) it actually became quite a followed competition, which brought quite a bit of media attention (with the maglia nera regularly being interviewed and such). No longer!

Giovanni Pinarello (founder of the Pinarello brand) wore the maglia nera as the rider in last place in the 1951 Giro!

Thanks for the links folks, I see one or two good options. I've worn black before, and heat was never an issue, even in 100 degree KY weather, 100% humidity. And I'm not worried about being seen, if the car didn't see the other 30 cyclists, I was meant to be hit no matter what I'm wearing. I have a wife, 2 kids, a mortgage and 2 car payments. $150 is a lot of money.

Powerful Pete said:
OFF TOPIC:

if thats the case, i should buy 5 or 6 and wear them in all the club rides around here :D .
at least i would do the jersey justice.

Sn4fu said:
Doesn't sound so hard to find does it? I've just spent the better part of two hours looking for plain black, and couldn't find it. I did find 2-3 that are mostly black with a bit of white or grey, which is ok, but most of them were by Asso and are $150! Way more then I'm gonna spend. Anyone know where I can get plain ole black?

No but i can tell you where you can find a Spam jersey, or wonderbread jersey. It's no wonder motorists want to run over cyclists. REI has some decent looking jerseys

Sn4fu said:
Thanks for the links folks, I see one or two good options. I've worn black before, and heat was never an issue, even in 100 degree KY weather, 100% humidity. And I'm not worried about being seen, if the car didn't see the other 30 cyclists, I was meant to be hit no matter what I'm wearing. I have a wife, 2 kids, a mortgage and 2 car payments. $150 is a lot of money.
============================================================
Are you mad to wear black?!
Are you only going to wear black with other riders in safer colours?

If you do get your black jersey, make sure you have something reflective on so that other road users can see you.

They can also get very hot in summer.