I'm hoping we didn't just lose a member

In Boudreaux's memory....

I'm sure we have all been either victims or have nearly become victims of careless drivers as we bike around. I can personally recount a time when I was almost hit by a bright red, new BMW being driven by a woman who was on her cell phone. I was riding straight on the street on a green light. She was approaching from the opposite direction making a left turn, almost hitting me in the process. I was wearing a bright red jersey and even after yelling at her, she failed to even look my direction or hear me. On another occasion, I was forced into a curb after a driver right next to me made a right turn in front of me, cutting me off. This man was also on his cell phone and never even stopped.

Boudreaux's death should serve as a wake up call to all those who bike. States need to do more to protect us from careless drivers, with stiffer penalties for such recklessness.

p55mac said:
Here's a post I found on Bicycling Forums, where Boudreaux was known as Biker Billy. Thanks scvroadie........my sentiments as well.

Below is the Obit for BB, that way nobody else needs go register on another web site. Rest in peace BB, your advice and sarcasm will be truly missed. Thank God for archives, whenever we need some technical advice or we just miss Biker Billy we can still be touched by him.

James "Jim" R. Price

Elsewhere

Publication Date: 12/03/05

LITTLETON, COLO. - James "Jim" R. Price, 63, died Friday, Nov. 25, 2005.

Per his wishes, Jim was cremated and his ashes will be taken to his favorite hunting site of 25 years and the lake where as a family we went camping.

James "Jim" R. Price of Littleton, Colo., was taken from us on Nov. 25, 2005, at the age of 63. Jim was born Feb. 1, 1942, in Fairmont, W.Va., to James W. and Margaret Stealey Price. He grew up in Mannington, W.Va., where he graduated from Mannington High School in 1960. He went on to attend the University of West Virginia where he graduated with a Master's Degree in Geology in 1966. He married Shirley Garner that same year. His field took him to Utah, Colorado and Texas. He retired as a Senior Geologist at the age of 55 when he became a consultant.

Jim and Shirley retired to Colorado to actively pursue their hobbies of hiking, fishing, and camping. Jim also enjoyed hunting. His passion was cycling, including building and maintaining his extensive collection, in addition to helping others with theirs.

He was preceded in death by his father, James W. Price.

Survivors include his wife, Shirley; two daughters, Kimberlee (James) Stevens, Jessica Price; three grandchildren, Jansen, Kyra and Kelby; his 90-year-old mother, Margaret Stealey Price; a brother, Tom Price of Ohio; a sister, Janet Cain of West Virginia; nieces, nephews and many friends.

In lieu of flowers, the family suggests memorials be to Bicycle Colorado, Donor Alliance or a charity of choice.

We love you and will miss you sorely. Your wife, Shirley and daughters, Kimberlee and Jessica.

Amarillo Globe-News, Dec. 3, 2005

Click here to return to story:
http://www.amarillo.com/stories/120305/obi_obits7.shtml

© The Amarillo Globe-News Online

P55 : thank you very much for posting this obituary about Jim Price.

Well done.
L

lohsnest said:
In Boudreaux's memory....

I'm sure we have all been either victims or have nearly become victims of careless drivers as we bike around. I can personally recount a time when I was almost hit by a bright red, new BMW being driven by a woman who was on her cell phone. I was riding straight on the street on a green light. She was approaching from the opposite direction making a left turn, almost hitting me in the process. I was wearing a bright red jersey and even after yelling at her, she failed to even look my direction or hear me. On another occasion, I was forced into a curb after a driver right next to me made a right turn in front of me, cutting me off. This man was also on his cell phone and never even stopped.

Boudreaux's death should serve as a wake up call to all those who bike. States need to do more to protect us from careless drivers, with stiffer penalties for such recklessness.

Almost everyday i ride down sidestreets and a car will be at a stop sign and i ride past only to have them take off right before i go past them,like i'm invisable and thats how i ride,like they never see me. They also like to just as you pass be them as they are stopped,they take off about an inch from your back wheel. Many times at a 4-way stop,they dont let me get half way thru before they go thru,geez.

shokhead said:
Almost everyday i ride down sidestreets and a car will be at a stop sign and i ride past only to have them take off right before i go past them,like i'm invisable and thats how i ride,like they never see me. They also like to just as you pass be them as they are stopped,they take off about an inch from your back wheel. Many times at a 4-way stop,they dont let me get half way thru before they go thru,geez.

Thats because most people who drive cars, tend not to cycle ...... thus they haven't got much respect for fellow cyclists out there. Its not so much that cars are evil .......... as much as it is drivers that cannot comprehend the simple fact that a cyclist IS a Motor-vehicle ..... one in the same as a automobile .

Personally, when I'm driving my truck... I am 10000000X more curtious to cyclists on the roadway-every time, they always catch my eye, then some ill fated auto driver (ex. new found immigrent/field worker driving down the street without working tail-lights.. you dont know if the guy is braking , or not :confused: :eek: ). Cali. needs to adopt a DMV system of every year.. or at least every other year vehicle maintainance checks- tires, lights, etc. - like other states make there citizens abide by... its all about SAFETY

Doctor Morbius said:
Not even close. Not when you consider the kid was screwing around text messaging somebody while driving a lethal 2,000 lb. machine.

I'm an internal auditor for a company (testing controls to see if they're operating effectively...) and although it's hard to make the comparison, I can't help but think back to my work and that when I test a control and have evidence it isn't working, though there has been no major damage (e.g. someone driving while text messaging and didn't harm anyone...or in my world, someone not reconciling a suspense account and following up on dated items, but no loss), people downplay it because 'no one died because of it'.

Well this is of course more serious and makes me think that if someone is text messaging while driving a car, they should be seriously punished (to avoid these terrible things). It's like drinking and driving.

Sorry for the rant...

I had crossed paths with him a couple times on the forum, and this news saddens me. Seeing these pictures of him in the mountains is like seeing myself 40 years down the road. And the thought that it could be me getting swiped like that. I'm sorry for the family. I hope the killer comprehends what he has done and is not as oblivious to the consequences of his actions as so many young punks these days are. Godspeed, B.

Whenever I hear about a fellow rider being hurt or killed by a car, it scares me to death. I think about how fragile life can be, and how a moment of carelessness can end the life of one and change the lives of so many others. Treasure the time that you have, because you never know when it will end. I also agree that we should all try to organize or join rides in tribute to a fallen comrade.

Boudreaux’s passing will be felt by forum members around the world who benefited from his technical responses to cyclists who needed a prompt factual response without the bs.

[font=&quot]I always laughed at his quick wit and expertise in trolling, his skill at this was unmatched, he tried with me but I failed to take the bait, not surprised to see fishing was a hobby of his. Seeing his photo, reading his obit and story of cycling history from his family only adds to the authority of his practical advice/posts and his constant refrain to work on rider weight and not just on reducing bike weight to improve cycling performance. With a mom at 90 and such a healthy lifestyle he should have had a longer retirement being with family and doing the things he enjoyed. His impact on cyclists can be judged by the emotion generated by his passing and even the cause of it bonds him with forum members who cannot fail to relate by the close calls with other road users that can be summed up with the if only – missed by that much experiences. A replacement of equal calibre! Unlikely, unique. Sad event.
[/font]

CasOCR1 said:
Whenever I hear about a fellow rider being hurt or killed by a car, it scares me to death. I think about how fragile life can be, and how a moment of carelessness can end the life of one and change the lives of so many others. Treasure the time that you have, because you never know when it will end. I also agree that we should all try to organize or join rides in tribute to a fallen comrade.
How true and a very tragic, senseless loss. :(

I've been off air for a while and skipped over this thread without grasping what it was about. Jim was a powerful character on this forum. His ascerbic wit served as a filter that cut to the chase, often leaving fellow posters wondering what had just happened.
It is pleasing to read a little of Jim's life, to fill out the character that many of us only knew through his posts on these forums.
My thoughts go out to his family and friends and, although it may not please others, to the teenager who brought about Jim's premature passing. Regardless of sentencing, it is not something that I would wish to have on my conscience.
Regards,
Eoin

I've been out of touch for a while and just came across this topic. I remember the news of the accident but like so many others didn't put it together. My sincere condolences to the family. Jim (Boudreaux) was certainly an asset to this board and contributed to answering many of my questions.
As I tell my kids, "life is not fair" - here is a prime example.

Jim, you will surely be missed.

he will be missed. I have not been on the forum for a few weeks and am just reading of this horrible news. I received much great info from him. Godspeed

I have not visited the forum for months but, like many others, have enjoyed Boudreaux's work and had useful advice from him. I was always amazed about how he made the time to give quality written support to others.

His death is gutting news.

Giant TCR1 Centaur 2005 stock. Ribble framed fast tourer with 105. Specialized Rockhopper FS 2000 stock.

Hi!

Although I did not know Jim personally, I did on ocasion see him on the Platte River bike path system here in Denver. I was wondering if it would be appropriate to go out and take some digital pictures of the rides I would see Jim on and post them here?

wugga said:
Hi!

Although I did not know Jim personally, I did on ocasion see him on the Platte River bike path system here in Denver. I was wondering if it would be appropriate to go out and take some digital pictures of the rides I would see Jim on and post them here?

It'd be absolutely appropriate. In fact, I think you ought to start a separate thread for that. Great way to honor a guy.

after being away for months due to busy work and a dead hard drive,
i returned today to read this. :(

in the world on online forums, we are often puzzled by characters,
but MUCH less frequently enlightened and absolutely entertained by them.

boudreaux WAS that guy !!!

a fountain of info and the "old faithfull" of wit. :)

as i hit my CF favorite button, i wondered:

what "load of hooey" will he be calling out the "nosepickers" on today ???

i certainly was not prepared for the tragic answer.

although im sure that his family do not need us "carpet smokers" here to feel good about their loved one, and that his "real" life was probably even more vibrant than his online persona,

i am glad to know that the outpouring of expression here (and in the other forums) will help in some way to ease their pain.

i am especially thankful to his daughter and other posters for sharing info and personal stories about the real man. i had often sat behind the keyboard wondering just who was this digital persona named boudreaux? learning a few of the details and putting a face to a legend has helped to somewhat soften the blow. :eek:

well, im off to read some of my PM's from him now. gone but not forgotten.

I haven't been on this board for a while and just saw this sad news. I enjoyed reading Boudreaux's posts and he gave me helpful advice when I had an issue with a derailleur. My condolences to his family and friends.

I haven't been on this board for a while and just saw this sad news. I enjoyed reading Boudreaux's posts and he gave me helpful advice when I had an issue with a derailleur. My condolences to his family and friends.