Index shifting

drbaize

Jul 6, 2007
I have a Centurion LeMans with index shifting (shimano) on the downtube. About a year ago I had to replace the freewheel and I never could get it adjusted quite correctly but worked pretty well. About a month ago I installed a compact crank and after some adjustments got it to work fairly well but the index shifting problem became worse. I finally to it to a shop and was told that the freewheel is not compatable with index shifting and that type of freewheel in no longer available, any advice will be appreciated.:eek: I do miss the index shifting.

drbaize said:
I have a Centurion LeMans with index shifting (shimano) on the downtube. About a year ago I had to replace the freewheel and I never could get it adjusted quite correctly but worked pretty well. About a month ago I installed a compact crank and after some adjustments got it to work fairly well but the index shifting problem became worse. I finally to it to a shop and was told that the freewheel is not compatable with index shifting and that type of freewheel in no longer available, any advice will be appreciated.:eek: I do miss the index shifting.
I'd ask the shop for specifics - what kind of shifter you have, what kind of free wheel is currently on there, what kind is needed to work correctly.

Try for a MF-HG50-7 Freewheel, it should work with all Shimano Index shifters. Do you have a narrow index chain (HG-50) on the bike?

Have you thought about a slightly more modern Thumb Shifter up on the bars?