installing threadless headset

Lee

Guest
I'm installing a Campy Record threadless headset on a frame that previously had a threaded headset.
The fork is new.

I removed the original headset and have gotten the new headset installed, but I'm getting some minor
binding on 20% of the rotation of the headset.

I do not have any headset specific tools.

How do I solve this binding issue?

Thanks,

Lee

nospam-<< I removed the original headset and have gotten the new headset installed, but I'm getting
some minor binding on 20% of the rotation of the headset.

Face the headtube and ensure the fork crown race is seated completely.

> nospam-<< I removed the original headset and have gotten the new headset installed, but I'm
> getting some minor binding on 20% of the rotation of the headset.
>
> Face the headtube and ensure the fork crown race is seated completely.

Thanks Peter. Does this need to be done even if another headset had already been installed?

Lee

> I removed the original headset and have gotten the new headset installed, but I'm getting some
> minor binding on 20% of the rotation of the headset.

> How do I solve this binding issue?

what peter said, except that instead of doing the facing thing, just make absolutamente sure that
everything's well seated, cups, races, whatever. i've got to think that if you had a set in there
previously, the faces are all parallel.

are you sure the cups or crown race weren't, ah, modified during installation. my mounting tools
consist of a chunk of pipe for the crown race and two blocks of wood & a bolt for the cups and it
scares the (lithium grease) out of me every time i put in one of those fragile aluminum things. so
far, so good, though. (knock on duraluminum.)

hg

"Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm installing a Campy Record threadless headset on a frame that
previously
> had a threaded headset. The fork is new.
>
> I removed the original headset and have gotten the new headset installed, but I'm getting some
> minor binding on 20% of the rotation of the headset.
>
> I do not have any headset specific tools.
>
> How do I solve this binding issue?

Did you use Campagnolo gauges before pressing the cups? Is the frame milled square? Are the cups
pressed home ? Ditto all that for the fork crown race.

On the current Campagnolo products it's easy to smash the upper cup's seal lip with the wrong press
- disassemble and look at that closely. Lastly, did you notice the bottom bearings are larger than
the top ones? If you reverse them it will bind.