Iraq war illegal, says Annan

Fred H. Yak wrote:

> You keep thinking you just need to get the "right people" in power of the big
> powerful government, to do the "right things," and the world will all of the
> sudden be a swell place. It doesn't work that way. The tact is to diffuse
> power as much as possible and avoid giving government the ability to "solve
> problems" beyond very basic things like national defense. Concentration of
> power will corrupt purpose regardless of the good intent of people.
> Diffused/dispersed power is the foundational concept of liberty that the nation
> was founded upon. Where it could not be diffused to the private sector, it was
> to be designed with a balance-of-powers....

And eliminating/reducing government concentrates economic and political
power in the hands of a small wealthy elite and/or neo-feudal warlords.
This is the way things work in practice - forget the theories of Milton
Friedman et al.

--
Tom Sherman

Tom Sherman wrote:

> Fred H. Yak wrote:

> > You keep thinking you just need to get the "right people" in power of the big
> > powerful government, to do the "right things," and the world will all of the
> > sudden be a swell place. It doesn't work that way. The tact is to diffuse
> > power as much as possible and avoid giving government the ability to "solve
> > problems" beyond very basic things like national defense. Concentration of
> > power will corrupt purpose regardless of the good intent of people.
> > Diffused/dispersed power is the foundational concept of liberty that the nation
> > was founded upon. Where it could not be diffused to the private sector, it was
> > to be designed with a balance-of-powers....

> And eliminating/reducing government concentrates economic and political
> power in the hands of a small wealthy elite and/or neo-feudal warlords.
> This is the way things work in practice - forget the theories of Milton
> Friedman et al.

What part of Jefferson's "...Government, which shall restrain men from injuring
one another" did you not get? Moreover, being "wealthy" alone means absolutely
nothing when it comes to government interference.

What part of Friedman's "The existence of a free market does not of course
eliminate the need for government. On the contrary, government is essential both
as a forum for determining the 'rules of the game' and as an umpire to interpret
and enforce the rules decided on" did you not get?

I get the feeling you have a critique of someone's ideas for which you know next
to nothing. Amazing, but not uncommon.