Iron Chef American - who's got the scoop?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Steve Ritter, Mar 14, 2004.

  1. Steve Ritter

    Steve Ritter Guest

    Spill it, please.

    Steve

    Buffering... _69%_ |||||||||||||||||||

    Tags:

  2. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 20:19:11 GMT, Steve Ritter
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Spill it, please.

    The new American Iron Chefs, chosen by Food Network, are:

    - Bobby Flay
    - Mario Batali
    - Wolfgang Puck

    Also, these ordinal Iron Chefs will be participating
    somehow:

    - Masaharu Morimoto -- original Iron Chef Japanese
    - Hiroyuki Sakai -- original Iron Chef French

    Iron Chef America premiers with: Battle of the Masters April
    23. William Shattner will *not* be hosting this one (thank
    god for small favors).

    Also a new battle later this month (from ordinal series)

    Iron Chef Episode IC1G01

    AIR TIMES: March 27, 2004 10:00 PM ET/PT March 28,
    2004 2:00 AM ET/PT April 11, 2004 7:00 PM ET/PT

    Escargot Battle: Challenger Bruno Menard is well-known for
    his "sharp" dishes. Will he able to get to the "point" in
    his escargot showdown with Iron Chef Sakai.

    -sw

  3. "Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 20:19:11 GMT, Steve Ritter
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Spill it, please.
    >
    > The new American Iron Chefs, chosen by Food Network, are:
    >
    > - Bobby Flay
    > - Mario Batali
    > - Wolfgang Puck
    snip That is an "interesting" assortment of personality and
    cooking styles. Janet

  4. Jack

    Jack Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, in
    rec.food.cooking, [email protected] says...
    > On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 20:19:11 GMT, Steve Ritter
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Spill it, please.
    >
    > The new American Iron Chefs, chosen by Food Network, are:
    >
    > - Bobby Flay
    > - Mario Batali
    > - Wolfgang Puck
    >
    > Also, these original Iron Chefs will be participating
    > somehow:
    >
    > - Masaharu Morimoto -- original Iron Chef Japanese
    > - Hiroyuki Sakai -- original Iron Chef French

    Wonder if Booby Flay will do his tapdance on the cutting
    board like he did before in his battles with Morimoto?
    Second - Morimoto is NOT the original Iron Chef Japanese. He
    took over from Rokusaburo Michiba, and, I'm not sure, but I
    think there might have even been another Iron Chef Japanese
    before Michiba-san. Only good one of the three challengers
    is Mario Batali.
    --
    de Jack N2MPU FN20 Modeling the NYC and NYNH&H in HO and CP
    Rail and D&H in N Proud NRA member addy:

  5. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 16:34:54 -0500, Jack <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Also, these original Iron Chefs will be participating
    >> somehow:
    >>
    >> - Masaharu Morimoto -- original Iron Chef Japanese
    >> - Hiroyuki Sakai -- original Iron Chef French
    >
    >Wonder if Booby Flay will do his tapdance on the cutting
    >board like he did before in his battles with Morimoto?
    >Second - Morimoto is NOT the original Iron Chef Japanese.
    >He took over from Rokusaburo Michiba, and, I'm not sure,
    >but I think there might have even been another Iron Chef
    >Japanese before Michiba-san.

    Don't shoot the messenger. I think they (FoodTV) meant
    the original series, though, rather than the actual
    original chef.

    -sw

  6. Louis Cohen

    Louis Cohen Guest

    Mario is a real heavyweight in American Italian cooking. I'd
    love to see him in an Iron Chef format.

    ----------------
    ----
    Louis Cohen Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8'
    42.8"

    "Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 20:19:11 GMT, Steve Ritter
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Spill it, please.
    >
    > The new American Iron Chefs, chosen by Food Network, are:
    >
    > - Bobby Flay
    > - Mario Batali
    > - Wolfgang Puck
    >
    > Also, these ordinal Iron Chefs will be participating
    > somehow:
    >
    > - Masaharu Morimoto -- original Iron Chef Japanese
    > - Hiroyuki Sakai -- original Iron Chef French
    >
    > Iron Chef America premiers with: Battle of the Masters
    > April 23. William Shattner will *not* be hosting this one
    > (thank god for small favors).
    >
    > Also a new battle later this month (from ordinal series)
    >
    > Iron Chef Episode IC1G01
    >
    > AIR TIMES: March 27, 2004 10:00 PM ET/PT March 28, 2004
    > 2:00 AM ET/PT April 11, 2004 7:00 PM ET/PT
    >
    > Escargot Battle: Challenger Bruno Menard is well-known for
    > his "sharp" dishes. Will he able to get to the "point" in
    > his escargot showdown with Iron Chef Sakai.
    >
    > -sw

  7. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 14:56:30 -0600, Steve Wertz
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Also, these ordinal Iron Chefs will be participating
    >somehow... Also a new battle later this month (from ordinal
    >series)...

    Damn speelczecher is on the fritz. Those should read
    "original".

    -sw

  8. Steve Ritter

    Steve Ritter Guest

    On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 16:34:54 -0500, Jack <[email protected]> Interjected..
    :

    > In article <[email protected]>, in
    > rec.food.cooking, [email protected] says...
    > > On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 20:19:11 GMT, Steve Ritter
    > > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Spill it, please.
    > >
    > > The new American Iron Chefs, chosen by Food
    > > Network, are:
    > >
    > > - Bobby Flay
    > > - Mario Batali
    > > - Wolfgang Puck
    > >
    > > Also, these original Iron Chefs will be participating
    > > somehow:
    > >
    > > - Masaharu Morimoto -- original Iron Chef Japanese
    > > - Hiroyuki Sakai -- original Iron Chef French
    >
    > Wonder if Booby Flay will do his tapdance on the cutting
    > board like he did before in his battles with Morimoto?
    > Second - Morimoto is NOT the original Iron Chef Japanese.
    > He took over from Rokusaburo Michiba, and, I'm not sure,
    > but I think there might have even been another Iron Chef
    > Japanese before Michiba-san. Only good one of the three
    > challengers is Mario Batali.

    Shame shame shame!

    Nakamura Komei - is _the_ Japanese Iron Chef. Michiba
    is good. But not traditional. We went from Michiba. and
    old guy who looked to change tradition, to Komei-san,
    who WAS Japanese, to Morimoto. The Coca Cola Kid who
    parted with anything Japanese, and still managed to be
    labeled Japanese.

    All the chefs of centuries of Kaiseki cuisine are spinning
    in their graves at 5000 RPM.

    (All this is in good fun.. )

    Steve

    Buffering... _69%_ |||||||||||||||||||

  9. Steve Ritter

    Steve Ritter Guest

    On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 13:53:08 -0800, "Louis Cohen" <[email protected]>
    Interjected.. :

    > Mario is a real heavyweight in American Italian cooking.
    > I'd love to see him in an Iron Chef format.

    He is the one I'm worried most about. Not much
    substance there.

    Steve

    Buffering... _69%_ |||||||||||||||||||

  10. "Jack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, in
    > rec.food.cooking,
    snip
    > Only good one of the three challengers is Mario Batali.
    > --
    > de Jack N2MPU FN20 Modeling the NYC and NYNH&H in HO and
    > CP Rail and D&H in N Proud NRA member addy:
    > [email protected]

    Yes, but can he cook without talking and stopping to
    elaborate? Janet

  11. John Gaughan

    John Gaughan Guest

  12. Steve Ritter

    Steve Ritter Guest

    On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 17:51:15 -0600, John Gaughan <[email protected]>
    Interjected.. :

    > Steve Wertz wrote:
    > > The new American Iron Chefs, chosen by Food
    > > Network, are:
    > >
    > > - Bobby Flay
    > > - Mario Batali
    > > - Wolfgang Puck
    >
    > What, no Alton or Emeril?

    Emeril who?

    Alton. You mean Alton Groobenpoontang? the father of proper
    fries? Nah. He too busy doin' W.

    Steve

    Buffering... _69%_ |||||||||||||||||||

  13. John Gaughan

    John Gaughan Guest

    Steve Ritter wrote:
    >> What, no Alton or Emeril?
    >
    > Emeril who?
    >
    > Alton. You mean Alton Groobenpoontang? the father of
    > proper fries? Nah. He too busy doin' W.

    You are sick in the head. You fit in here perfectly!

    --
    John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/
    [email protected]

  14. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Steve Wertz wrote:
    >> The new American Iron Chefs, chosen by Food Network, are:
    >>
    >> - Bobby Flay
    >> - Mario Batali
    >> - Wolfgang Puck
    >
    >What, no Alton or Emeril?

    Emeril could never cook under pressure. He barely manages to
    get in 15 minutes of cooking in an a 1-hour show as it is.

    -sw

  15. Alton Brown has said many times that he's not a
    professional chef. It wouldn't make any sense for him to
    compete on Iron Chef, the disparity in skill and experience
    would be too great.

    Having said that, Alton will definitely be on Iron Chef
    America (Food Network version), Check the March 5th entry
    on his blog:

    http://www.altonbrown.com/pages/rants.html

    Rumor has it that he'll be on the show as a commentator.

    Regards, Benjamin Tsai

    On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, John Gaughan wrote:

    > Steve Wertz wrote:
    > > The new American Iron Chefs, chosen by Food
    > > Network, are:
    > >
    > > - Bobby Flay
    > > - Mario Batali
    > > - Wolfgang Puck
    >
    > What, no Alton or Emeril?
    >
    > --
    > John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/
    > [email protected]

  16. John Gaughan

    John Gaughan Guest

    Steve Wertz wrote:
    >> What, no Alton or Emeril?
    >
    > Emeril could never cook under pressure. He barely
    > manages to get in 15 minutes of cooking in an a 1-hour
    > show as it is.

    And Alton would spend too long talking about chemistry and
    having skits with his friends doing goofy things to
    demonstrate science.

    The point is not who is a good or efficient cook/chef,
    but who would be good entertainment. Iron Chef is not
    about the quality of the food but the quality of the
    show. The Japanese version, in my opinion, was boring. I
    hope they "Americanize" it and bring it more in line with
    American humor.

    --
    John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/
    [email protected]

  17. Mike D

    Mike D Guest

    John Gaughan <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Steve Wertz wrote:
    >> The new American Iron Chefs, chosen by Food Network, are:
    >>
    >> - Bobby Flay
    >> - Mario Batali
    >> - Wolfgang Puck
    >
    >What, no Alton or Emeril?

    LOL. Alton the actor, and emeril the intolerable.

  18. Kajikit

    Kajikit Guest

    John Gaughan saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us
    all about it on Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:01:24 -0600:

    >The point is not who is a good or efficient cook/chef,
    >but who would be good entertainment. Iron Chef is not
    >about the quality of the food but the quality of the
    >show. The Japanese version, in my opinion, was boring. I
    >hope they "Americanize" it and bring it more in line with
    >American humor.

    Well, that would wreck it for the rest of the world...
    It's not supposed to be FUNNY! I love Iron Chef, quaint
    Japanese judges and all... ~Karen AKA Kajikit Lover of
    shiny things...

    Made as of 11 March 2004 - 41 cards, 23 SB pages (plus 2
    small giftbooks), 42 decos, 10FBs

    Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com Allergyfree
    Eating Recipe Swap:
    Aussies Mailing List:

  19. Stark Raven

    Stark Raven Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Kajikit
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > John Gaughan saw Sally selling seashells by the
    > seashore and told us all about it on Sun, 14 Mar 2004
    > 21:01:24 -0600:
    >
    > >The point is not who is a good or efficient cook/chef,
    > >but who would be good entertainment. Iron Chef is not
    > >about the quality of the food but the quality of the
    > >show. The Japanese version, in my opinion, was boring. I
    > >hope they "Americanize" it and bring it more in line with
    > >American humor.
    >
    > Well, that would wreck it for the rest of the world...
    > It's not supposed to be FUNNY! I love Iron Chef, quaint
    > Japanese judges and all... ~Karen AKA Kajikit Lover of
    > shiny things...

    Not supposed to be funny? Then what? Profound? Don't think
    so. I guess wierd would do for me. The cultural disconnect.
    Like children playing King Lear or women warriors. Now I'd
    really like to see the Iron Chef production team cover one
    of those Island Survivor shows.

  20. John Gaughan

    John Gaughan Guest

    Mike D wrote:
    >>What, no Alton or Emeril?
    >
    > LOL. Alton the actor, and emeril the intolerable.

    I hear Alton will be the commentator, which fits perfectly.
    He could add quite a bit to the mix, I think. Emeril as the
    host would be good too. Note that I would not want either
    one cooking: they are both good cooks, but not right to be
    on Iron Chef. Besides, Alton already said he does not want
    to be an Iron Chef.