Iron Chef American - who's got the scoop?

Steve Ritter

Guest
Spill it, please.

Steve

Buffering... _69%_ |||||||||||||||||||

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 20:19:11 GMT, Steve Ritter
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Spill it, please.

The new American Iron Chefs, chosen by Food Network, are:

- Bobby Flay
- Mario Batali
- Wolfgang Puck

Also, these ordinal Iron Chefs will be participating
somehow:

- Masaharu Morimoto -- original Iron Chef Japanese
- Hiroyuki Sakai -- original Iron Chef French

Iron Chef America premiers with: Battle of the Masters April
23. William Shattner will *not* be hosting this one (thank
god for small favors).

Also a new battle later this month (from ordinal series)

Iron Chef Episode IC1G01

AIR TIMES: March 27, 2004 10:00 PM ET/PT March 28,
2004 2:00 AM ET/PT April 11, 2004 7:00 PM ET/PT

Escargot Battle: Challenger Bruno Menard is well-known for
his "sharp" dishes. Will he able to get to the "point" in
his escargot showdown with Iron Chef Sakai.

-sw

"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 20:19:11 GMT, Steve Ritter
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Spill it, please.
>
> The new American Iron Chefs, chosen by Food Network, are:
>
> - Bobby Flay
> - Mario Batali
> - Wolfgang Puck
snip That is an "interesting" assortment of personality and
cooking styles. Janet

In article <[email protected]>, in
rec.food.cooking, [email protected] says...
> On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 20:19:11 GMT, Steve Ritter
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Spill it, please.
>
> The new American Iron Chefs, chosen by Food Network, are:
>
> - Bobby Flay
> - Mario Batali
> - Wolfgang Puck
>
> Also, these original Iron Chefs will be participating
> somehow:
>
> - Masaharu Morimoto -- original Iron Chef Japanese
> - Hiroyuki Sakai -- original Iron Chef French

Wonder if Booby Flay will do his tapdance on the cutting
board like he did before in his battles with Morimoto?
Second - Morimoto is NOT the original Iron Chef Japanese. He
took over from Rokusaburo Michiba, and, I'm not sure, but I
think there might have even been another Iron Chef Japanese
before Michiba-san. Only good one of the three challengers
is Mario Batali.
--
de Jack N2MPU FN20 Modeling the NYC and NYNH&H in HO and CP
Rail and D&H in N Proud NRA member addy:

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 16:34:54 -0500, Jack <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Also, these original Iron Chefs will be participating
>> somehow:
>>
>> - Masaharu Morimoto -- original Iron Chef Japanese
>> - Hiroyuki Sakai -- original Iron Chef French
>
>Wonder if Booby Flay will do his tapdance on the cutting
>board like he did before in his battles with Morimoto?
>Second - Morimoto is NOT the original Iron Chef Japanese.
>He took over from Rokusaburo Michiba, and, I'm not sure,
>but I think there might have even been another Iron Chef
>Japanese before Michiba-san.

Don't shoot the messenger. I think they (FoodTV) meant
the original series, though, rather than the actual
original chef.

-sw

Mario is a real heavyweight in American Italian cooking. I'd
love to see him in an Iron Chef format.

----------------
----
Louis Cohen Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8'
42.8"

"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 20:19:11 GMT, Steve Ritter
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Spill it, please.
>
> The new American Iron Chefs, chosen by Food Network, are:
>
> - Bobby Flay
> - Mario Batali
> - Wolfgang Puck
>
> Also, these ordinal Iron Chefs will be participating
> somehow:
>
> - Masaharu Morimoto -- original Iron Chef Japanese
> - Hiroyuki Sakai -- original Iron Chef French
>
> Iron Chef America premiers with: Battle of the Masters
> April 23. William Shattner will *not* be hosting this one
> (thank god for small favors).
>
> Also a new battle later this month (from ordinal series)
>
> Iron Chef Episode IC1G01
>
> AIR TIMES: March 27, 2004 10:00 PM ET/PT March 28, 2004
> 2:00 AM ET/PT April 11, 2004 7:00 PM ET/PT
>
> Escargot Battle: Challenger Bruno Menard is well-known for
> his "sharp" dishes. Will he able to get to the "point" in
> his escargot showdown with Iron Chef Sakai.
>
> -sw

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 14:56:30 -0600, Steve Wertz
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Also, these ordinal Iron Chefs will be participating
>somehow... Also a new battle later this month (from ordinal
>series)...

Damn speelczecher is on the fritz. Those should read
"original".

-sw

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 16:34:54 -0500, Jack <[email protected]> Interjected..
:

> In article <[email protected]>, in
> rec.food.cooking, [email protected] says...
> > On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 20:19:11 GMT, Steve Ritter
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > Spill it, please.
> >
> > The new American Iron Chefs, chosen by Food
> > Network, are:
> >
> > - Bobby Flay
> > - Mario Batali
> > - Wolfgang Puck
> >
> > Also, these original Iron Chefs will be participating
> > somehow:
> >
> > - Masaharu Morimoto -- original Iron Chef Japanese
> > - Hiroyuki Sakai -- original Iron Chef French
>
> Wonder if Booby Flay will do his tapdance on the cutting
> board like he did before in his battles with Morimoto?
> Second - Morimoto is NOT the original Iron Chef Japanese.
> He took over from Rokusaburo Michiba, and, I'm not sure,
> but I think there might have even been another Iron Chef
> Japanese before Michiba-san. Only good one of the three
> challengers is Mario Batali.

Shame shame shame!

Nakamura Komei - is _the_ Japanese Iron Chef. Michiba
is good. But not traditional. We went from Michiba. and
old guy who looked to change tradition, to Komei-san,
who WAS Japanese, to Morimoto. The Coca Cola Kid who
parted with anything Japanese, and still managed to be
labeled Japanese.

All the chefs of centuries of Kaiseki cuisine are spinning
in their graves at 5000 RPM.

(All this is in good fun.. )

Steve

Buffering... _69%_ |||||||||||||||||||

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 13:53:08 -0800, "Louis Cohen" <[email protected]>
Interjected.. :

> Mario is a real heavyweight in American Italian cooking.
> I'd love to see him in an Iron Chef format.

He is the one I'm worried most about. Not much
substance there.

Steve

Buffering... _69%_ |||||||||||||||||||

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 17:51:15 -0600, John Gaughan <[email protected]>
Interjected.. :

> Steve Wertz wrote:
> > The new American Iron Chefs, chosen by Food
> > Network, are:
> >
> > - Bobby Flay
> > - Mario Batali
> > - Wolfgang Puck
>
> What, no Alton or Emeril?

Emeril who?

Alton. You mean Alton Groobenpoontang? the father of proper
fries? Nah. He too busy doin' W.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Steve Wertz wrote:
>> The new American Iron Chefs, chosen by Food Network, are:
>>
>> - Bobby Flay
>> - Mario Batali
>> - Wolfgang Puck
>
>What, no Alton or Emeril?

Emeril could never cook under pressure. He barely manages to
get in 15 minutes of cooking in an a 1-hour show as it is.

-sw

Alton Brown has said many times that he's not a
professional chef. It wouldn't make any sense for him to
compete on Iron Chef, the disparity in skill and experience
would be too great.

Having said that, Alton will definitely be on Iron Chef
America (Food Network version), Check the March 5th entry
on his blog:

http://www.altonbrown.com/pages/rants.html

Rumor has it that he'll be on the show as a commentator.

Regards, Benjamin Tsai

Steve Wertz wrote:
>> What, no Alton or Emeril?
>
> Emeril could never cook under pressure. He barely
> manages to get in 15 minutes of cooking in an a 1-hour
> show as it is.

And Alton would spend too long talking about chemistry and
having skits with his friends doing goofy things to
demonstrate science.

The point is not who is a good or efficient cook/chef,
but who would be good entertainment. Iron Chef is not
about the quality of the food but the quality of the
show. The Japanese version, in my opinion, was boring. I
hope they "Americanize" it and bring it more in line with
American humor.

--

John Gaughan <[email protected]> wrote:

>Steve Wertz wrote:
>> The new American Iron Chefs, chosen by Food Network, are:
>>
>> - Bobby Flay
>> - Mario Batali
>> - Wolfgang Puck
>
>What, no Alton or Emeril?

LOL. Alton the actor, and emeril the intolerable.

John Gaughan saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us
all about it on Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:01:24 -0600:

>The point is not who is a good or efficient cook/chef,
>but who would be good entertainment. Iron Chef is not
>about the quality of the food but the quality of the
>show. The Japanese version, in my opinion, was boring. I
>hope they "Americanize" it and bring it more in line with
>American humor.

Well, that would wreck it for the rest of the world...
It's not supposed to be FUNNY! I love Iron Chef, quaint
Japanese judges and all... ~Karen AKA Kajikit Lover of
shiny things...

Made as of 11 March 2004 - 41 cards, 23 SB pages (plus 2
small giftbooks), 42 decos, 10FBs

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com Allergyfree
Eating Recipe Swap:
Aussies Mailing List:

In article <[email protected]>, Kajikit
<[email protected]> wrote:

> John Gaughan saw Sally selling seashells by the
> seashore and told us all about it on Sun, 14 Mar 2004
> 21:01:24 -0600:
>
> >The point is not who is a good or efficient cook/chef,
> >but who would be good entertainment. Iron Chef is not
> >about the quality of the food but the quality of the
> >show. The Japanese version, in my opinion, was boring. I
> >hope they "Americanize" it and bring it more in line with
> >American humor.
>
> Well, that would wreck it for the rest of the world...
> It's not supposed to be FUNNY! I love Iron Chef, quaint
> Japanese judges and all... ~Karen AKA Kajikit Lover of
> shiny things...

Not supposed to be funny? Then what? Profound? Don't think
so. I guess wierd would do for me. The cultural disconnect.
Like children playing King Lear or women warriors. Now I'd
really like to see the Iron Chef production team cover one
of those Island Survivor shows.

Mike D wrote:
>>What, no Alton or Emeril?
>
> LOL. Alton the actor, and emeril the intolerable.

I hear Alton will be the commentator, which fits perfectly.
He could add quite a bit to the mix, I think. Emeril as the
host would be good too. Note that I would not want either
one cooking: they are both good cooks, but not right to be
on Iron Chef. Besides, Alton already said he does not want
to be an Iron Chef.