Is 20 min on 4 of stationary-cycling enough to lose weight?

worldgod

Dec 20, 2003
Hello all: I have a question about stationary cycling. Is 20 minute of stationary cycling on a moderate-heavy mode enough to lose weight? Or should I train more minutes at a lighter speed?

Thanx all

worldgod

It's my understanding that longer duration, aerobic efforts (45 minutes) 3-4 times/wk are the best for burning fat.

There is a great website put together by a Washington state M.D. that will tell you all you want to know about the physiology and practice of bike training:
http://www.cptips.com/

Enjoy!

Hello my friend: Thanks a lot for your answer, the thing is that i started to exercise on an exercise stationary-bike on level-4 (50% load) out of 8 levels, i think this is too much for LSD (Long Slower Distance) Which is the better way to train for aerobic-energies.

Thank you for your answer, i will check out that webpage

worldgod

Originally posted by jmcmillanut
It's my understanding that longer duration, aerobic efforts (45 minutes) 3-4 times/wk are the best for burning fat.

There is a great website put together by a Washington state M.D. that will tell you all you want to know about the physiology and practice of bike training:
http://www.cptips.com/

Enjoy!

What you might need to do also is figure out your max heart rate. Then ride your stationary for a minimum of 20 minutes at 65% of your max. Remember that the body doesn't start to burn fat until after the 20 minute mark, which is why most people ride for at least 30 minutes. Also consider riding for 3 to 4 times a week.

(The best way to determine max is by calculating 220 maximum heart rate minus your age = max HR, then divide it by 65% to give your HR for what your tring to do.) (i.e. 220HR - 31age = 189/max... 189 / 65 % = 123bpm for weight lose.) must be sustained for at least 30 minutes, longer is better but don't over do it. results may be noticed physically if consistant after 3 weeks.

Finally realize with any excersice program a good healthy diet is essential to have progress other wise it doesn't make sense.

Originally posted by worldgod
Hello my friend: Thanks a lot for your answer, the thing is that i started to exercise on an exercise stationary-bike on level-4 (50% load) out of 8 levels, i think this is too much for LSD (Long Slower Distance) Which is the better way to train for aerobic-energies.

Thank you for your answer, i will check out that webpage

worldgod

Level 4 does sound like too high to start. On the Minoura mag trainer I've ridden, level 2 feels closer to actual road loads than 4. I'd suggest starting with level 1 or 2, so you can ride longer while keeping the cadence up to 80-90 rpm. You can always shift up to a higher gear for more load when you're ready, but I wouldn't do that until you can finish your session easily.

Dan

1. Do weights to loose weight (work back and legs)

2. Ride at a moderate pace, say your level 2-3, for at least 45 minutes after your weights (resistance) workout

3. Eat Right - read up about diet as any activity you do can be neutralized by improper diet.

Learn to eat like an athlete and eveything else will fall into place.

Good luck and stick to it.

If you have limited time to exercise (i.e. 3 x 20 minutes a day) then training as hard as you can for the whole 20 minute period would be preferable as this results in the greatest energy expendature.

Hello all: I have a question about stationary cycling. Is 20 minute of stationary cycling on a moderate-heavy mode enough to lose weight? Or should I train more minutes at a lighter speed?

Thanx all

worldgod

If the weather is fine just get out and ride.

Thanx all

worldgod

The only way to lose weight is to expend more energy than you consume. So the answer to your question depends on

(a) how many calories you're eating, and
(b) how many calories you're burning

if (b) > (a), then you lose weight.

Keeping track of your diet will tell you how many calories you're eating. To calculate how many calories you're burning, start by counting your basal metabolism. That's how many calories you burn by breathing, sleeping, etc.. There are some "rules of thumb" equations for estimating basal metabolism based on gender, weight, and lifestyle (office worker vs. construction worker). Google should find them for you. Once you've got your basal metabolism figured, you can add in extra calories you burn through exercise. Most modern stationary bikes will estimate calorie consumption when you ride. That's probably as good an estimate as any. (I've seen some that ask you to input your weight before estimating calories; those may possibly be even more accurate.)

Stephen

Weightloss is a hard subject because weightloss is dependent upon energy consumed/energy used.
Using an indoor trainer (TACX), I found that cycling 42/19 at 90rpms for 1 hours 20 mins : 4 times per week, induced a lot of weightloss (all indoor)
Before I was doing 42/19 at 90 rpms for 45 minutes : 4 times per week, and the difference is incredible.(all indoor)

To begin to lose weight, I found that aiming to achieve
more than 8000 revolutions of the pedal per session, made me lose weight.
I found that as long as I achieved 8000 revs (regardless of what gear I was using !), I was able to maintain/reduce weight.

I hope that this is some help to you.