20 min+ intervals - where do you ride them outside?

NomadVW

Aug 12, 2005
Just curious where you all do your 20 min or longer intervals when you do them outside.

I have a small number of locations that are "without" interrupt. I have a time trial course that is a 10km lap on our base here in Japan, but it has a couple of 90 degree turns as well as one that is about 140 degree turnaround. I end up getting about a lap and a quarter to a lap and a half depending on winds/how I feel.

I have another route I use that has two 12-15km lengths of road in the mountains that climbs a river valley, but if I'm feeling strong or have a good tailwind I end up in coming into one or the other small towns that divide up the legs.

Anyone here actually have 20 minutes or longer of completely uninterrupted road that they get interval work on? I'm heading to D.C. in Feb 2008 and am already hunting for houses based on their proximity to mountains and long stretches of open roads. My wife thinks school districts, I think "Wow... they have some nice roads out there" (we've lived in the D.C. area before)

VW

I have the "perfect" road for long L4 rides and performance tests. It is 11 miles long, a very consistent 1.5% grade and there is only one stop light. I have to stop a maximum of ~1.5 minutes at the light, usually I either catch it green or have to wait only ~30s. It's also typically into the wind (~10-15mph). It's nice to have a slight, consistent resistance for long L4s. This road is only a 5min ride from my house so it's just far enough to get warmed up. The only problem is that the return ride is strictly L1-L2 at 30mph.

RapDaddyo said:
I have the "perfect" road for long L4 rides and performance tests. It is 11 miles long, a very consistent 1.5% grade and there is only one stop light. I have to stop a maximum of ~1.5 minutes at the light, usually I either catch it green or have to wait only ~30s. It's also typically into the wind (~10-15mph). It's nice to have a slight, consistent resistance for long L4s. This road is only a 5min ride from my house so it's just far enough to get warmed up. The only problem is that the return ride is strictly L1-L2 at 30mph.
Sounds like you need to start printing fliers for the "2007 RapDaddyo performance training camp." :D

Local parks. 3.23 miles loop. Hmmm......just did a 2 hours and 30 minutes sst session there. Roughly 16 laps. 50 miles. :D I don't care. Is training. My legs don't care where I ride.

NomadVW said:
Just curious where you all do your 20 min or longer intervals when you do them outside.

I have a small number of locations that are "without" interrupt. I have a time trial course that is a 10km lap on our base here in Japan, but it has a couple of 90 degree turns as well as one that is about 140 degree turnaround. I end up getting about a lap and a quarter to a lap and a half depending on winds/how I feel.

I have another route I use that has two 12-15km lengths of road in the mountains that climbs a river valley, but if I'm feeling strong or have a good tailwind I end up in coming into one or the other small towns that divide up the legs.

Anyone here actually have 20 minutes or longer of completely uninterrupted road that they get interval work on? I'm heading to D.C. in Feb 2008 and am already hunting for houses based on their proximity to mountains and long stretches of open roads. My wife thinks school districts, I think "Wow... they have some nice roads out there" (we've lived in the D.C. area before)

VW

NomadVW said:

VW
If tempo and part of a longer ride then just do it on normal ride routes, don't worry about stoppages unless I specifically want very high quality non-stop effort. For that and the more intense efforts, I use Sydney's Centennial Park - a 3.8km circuit which is slightly rolling terrain but no sharp corners - terrain and wind conditions can make isopower efforts a bit of a challenge with FTP speeds for me (not in TT position) varying from 28-48km/h per lap.

We have to courses for this in my area. They're both on flat though. One Formula1 race track and one 10k long stretch reserved for fast cycling. On the latter, we loose a watt or two at each end which is a bit of a ******** but considering that there are no cars allowed, no stop signs... Considering that there are always few cycling pacelines to race against (motivational), it's perfect.

SolarEnergy, where in Canada do you live? Your description is like heaven for cyclists, a formula 1 race track.. you're pulling my leg right?

Around here there's plenty of 2 lane highways, fairly straight to somwhat twisty and can be quite hilly but no major climbs. Great for whatever kind of cycling you want except for long grades.

-bikeguy

There are 3 local TT courses(dual carriageways) fairly local to me that are used for up to 50 mile TT's. Each has some roundabouts but that's it. As long as you time it right, it's not too busy. I generally find midday onwards is best.

bikeguy said:
SolarEnergy, where in Canada do you live? Your description is like heaven for cyclists, a formula 1 race track.. you're pulling my leg right?

Around here there's plenty of 2 lane highways, fairly straight to somwhat twisty and can be quite hilly but no major climbs. Great for whatever kind of cycling you want except for long grades.

-bikeguy
I raced a 2 hour event on a formula 1 track this past year (on a bike of course). It was so rockin fun. Buttery smooth surface.

Alex Simmons said:
For that and the more intense efforts, I use Sydney's Centennial Park - a 3.8km circuit which is slightly rolling terrain but no sharp corners - terrain and wind conditions can make isopower efforts a bit of a challenge with FTP speeds for me (not in TT position) varying from 28-48km/h per lap.
You are not worried about being booked by the rangers at 48kph? ;)

NomadVW said:
I raced a 2 hour event on a formula 1 track this past year (on a bike of course). It was so rockin fun. Buttery smooth surface.

Must be nice to ride on, I like smooth too.

-bikeguy

bikeguy said:
Must be nice to ride on, I like smooth too.

-bikeguy

i don't know about that track. but i race on a raceway in sydney that held motogp events until a few years back. it's a beautiful surface in the dry, as soon as it gets just a few sprinkles of rain on it ... let the carnage begin.

we crit race on a drag strip next door as well which suffers similarly in the wet. actually the first 400m of the track is covered in rubber (duh) which as you hit it in the dry is ultra tacky, and makes a very odd sound as a group hits it at race speed.

--brett

bikeguy said:

-bikeguy
only F1 circuit in Canada is Montreal

bikeguy said:

-bikeguy
We are allowed to ride on the F1 track here in S.A. - Kyalami. Only problem is that it has a 300m section at 10% gradient, then a hairpin bend and 320m at 11% - makes it very difficult to ride consistently.