Is road cycling dangerous?

Keyan said:
When I was younger that is what my parents think about cycling or even driving a car. They think that there are all sorts of accidents bound to happen even if you are following the road and safety rules. I know they are not being overly pessimistic because anything can happen while on the road. Innocent people get hit by reckless people and who is to blame? I guess we just have to do whatever pleases us just as long as we are being careful and know how to protect ourselves from danger
Nothing in life is guaranteed----look at that poor Amish kid plowing his field.

I'm 62 years old. My kids are adults. I have no fear of death. I'm not in any hurry to die, since I have a life with my wife and a nice home, and a job I enjoy, but I also know that I'm not going to live forever. Fate can bite me in the ass in a lot of ways. I know how dangerous it is out there. I consider it an acceptable risk, still. I'm also aware of the things that get cyclists killed, and I've already been significantly injured by a car. All I can do is ride defensively. Lots of other things can kill me just as unexpectedly. Fear isn't going to rule however many years I have left.

I've suffered a major injury when to jogging, my arm broke in half and my face didn't look to pretty. Cuts, chipped teeth, busted lip, my chin felt sore for close to 3 months after my arm healed.I fully recovered and am 100% aware of the dangers on the road. I love being out there though and can't run scared from it just because I know its not the safest thing to do. Today I was riding one of my typical routes which doesn't have too bad traffic. Im going downhill at over 30 mph and a cars behind me. I check the other side of the road and its very clear and he could have passed me safely if he wanted to. Instead, he drives a mere foot away from me...I thought at that moment it may be a matter of when and not if I get involved in some accident. Cell phones,maniacs who cant follow the speed limit, entitled road rager's....I cant dwell too much, the most I can do for peace of mind is make sure I watch my back when i'm out there.

A Demoncrat lost control? Who knew?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/09/20/white-house-staffer-killed-during-bicycle-ride/

A White House staffer was killed Saturday when the bicycle he was riding collided with a vehicle during a charity ride, the Washington Post reported.
Jacob Thomas Brewer, 34, died about 3:40 p.m. when he lost control of his bike at a sharp curve. It crossed a double yellow line and hit an oncoming vehicle, cops told the Post.

Brewer was a senior policy adviser in the Office of the Chief Technology Officer, part of the Office of Science and Technology policy.
"Simply put, Jake was one of the best," President Obama said in a statement. "Armed with a brilliant mind, a big heart, and an insatiable desire to give back, Jake devoted his life to empowering people and making government work better for them. He worked to give citizens a louder voice in our society. He engaged our striving immigrants. He pushed for more transparency in our democracy. And he sought to expand opportunity for all."

Brewer was riding Saturday as part of the Ride to Conquer Cancer fundraiser. His mother, Lori Brewer Collins, said Brewer was taking part in the ride because of a close friend who was a cancer patient.

"[He] lived life large and tended to live life for other people,” Collins said.

Brewer was married to Fox News contributor Mary Katharine Ham. They have a daughter, Georgia, and Ham is pregnant with a second child.

"I don't have to tell most of you how wonderful he was," Ham wrote on Instagram. "It was self-evident. His life was his testimony, and it was powerful and tender and fierce, with an ever-present twinkle in the eye. I will miss him forever, even more than I can know right now."

dominikk85 said:
sure it is risky. a lot of professional riders have been killed in training (actually not a lot if you consider all rider but still a significant number). even if you do follow the rules there is always a danger since there are a lot of idiot drivers out there who drive while being tired, angry or even drunk. but there are a lot of things you can do to minimize risks: -make sure your equipment is in shape (no cracks in fork or frame, good brakes, good tires) -don't be aggressive and don't make bold "moves" -do not use high frequented or high tempo roads -make sure you have lighting and reflectors in the dark or better avoid riding in the dark (which is difficult in the winter when you do your training after work) -slow down on sharp or unknown curves or in the rain ... but still there is a risk but getting fat in front of TV is risky too:D.
A lot of things in life are dangerous. But we should not allow that fact to instill fear in us, and prevent us from accomplishing our life goals. Life is too short so my encouragement is that we put on our protective gears and head on out into the world of Road cycling.

Uawadall said:
I've suffered a major injury when to jogging, my arm broke in half and my face didn't look to pretty. Cuts, chipped teeth, busted lip, my chin felt sore for close to 3 months after my arm healed.I fully recovered and am 100% aware of the dangers on the road. I love being out there though and can't run scared from it just because I know its not the safest thing to do. Today I was riding one of my typical routes which doesn't have too bad traffic. Im going downhill at over 30 mph and a cars behind me. I check the other side of the road and its very clear and he could have passed me safely if he wanted to. Instead, he drives a mere foot away from me...I thought at that moment it may be a matter of when and not if I get involved in some accident. Cell phones,maniacs who cant follow the speed limit, entitled road rager's....I cant dwell too much, the most I can do for peace of mind is make sure I watch my back when i'm out there.
Wow I'm really glad that you survived. I've always wondered what it would be like to be involved in a dangerous accidents such as what you described. I think it's more of a fear than just wondering. But you have seen it all and you came out victorious. I pray that doesn't happen to me, but like you said, life is full of dangers. But nothing should stop us.

The most dangerous things are, really, just other cars driving around you. Some people are really, really aggressively inclined and greatly dislike cyclists. I have almost been driven over by a bus who just didn't seem to care about my existence, and cars whose drivers were just nodding away on the wheel and steering way too close to me, but then again I have been on the road biking for 13 years, things are bound to happen anyways. I have never really had any real damage from anyone on the road, expect, a minor accident when I skidded, since my breaks failed, and I just fell off my bike, on a gravel road and my whole left arm just got torn up. I got loads of small scars, and the scabbing was all over where my triceps are. Thank god for helmets, and that I was wearing one.

Meanwhile...somewhere near Pittsburg, Pennsylvania...

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Police are investigating a fatal hit-and-run in North Fayette Township.

It happened Friday night around 7:50 p.m. when a box truck hit a cyclist on Steubenville Pike.

Police say the cyclist, 24-year-old Brandon Ortmann, was taken to the hospital, but later died.
The driver of the box truck kept going after the side mirror struck Ortmann.

witnesses say they saw a bicycle fly into the air after it was hit. Ortmann landed in the front yard of a home nearby.

“It was dark, it was dusk, just getting dark,” said North Fayette Police Lt. Michael Hamm. “He did have a light on his bike. We’re attempting to find the actor’s vehicle. The suspect’s vehicle did leave the scene, never stopped to render aid or to provide information.”

Police say the truck is a dark color with something white on top and was traveling eastbound. They believe it’s missing a passenger-side mirror and headlight.

Anyone with information is asked to call North Fayette Police at 412-787-8900.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2015/09/19/cyclist-killed-hit-and-run/

Video at the above link.

In case it has not become obvious to you yet...whether you get smashed into by a drunk, stoned bishop from the First Holy Church of I'm Out of ***** To give or some brain dead guy in a delivery truck...no one gives a rat's ass about your life or mine and 'if' there's a 1 in 100 chance they can skate by leaving the scene, well Bunkie those insurance rates mean far more than our miserable existence on the planet does.

Of the 5 cyclists that were hit by the pickup truck turning left in front of them, one is still in the hospital in serious and improving condition.

One rider is still listed in critical condition.

Both were life flighted from the accident scene.

Two of the un-injured cyclists (they didn't make contact with the truck) are being treated for stress trauma because of what they witnessed. The accident scene was not pretty. They rarely are.

Road cycling has the potential to be dangerous. And actually that is what gives some people thrill and adrenaline. Your mom has alright to worry, but if you want to do this thing just be careful. Would you rather to be cooped up in your house or to be out there in the traffic.

I really don't ride for thrill, I ride for the feeling of freedom. I would much prefer being able to ride where ever I want without the thrill/danger. I'm painfully torn between the longing to enjoy the freedom of road cycling, and the prospect of the danger.

bigsmile said:
I really don't ride for thrill, I ride for the feeling of freedom. I would much prefer being able to ride where ever I want without the thrill/danger. I'm painfully torn between the longing to enjoy the freedom of road cycling, and the prospect of the danger.
Do you use any type of mirror?Some people think they look dorky,but I could care less.They seem to be very beneficial to safety from what i've seen. I havemt used one yet, but have one on order that attaches to sunglasses.

****. A second cyclist involved in the truck-5 cyclists collision reported above has died.

bike1_1442535429509_24122891_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-news/oh-cuyahoga/second-bicyclist-dies-from-brecksville-fatal-crash

BRECKSVILLE, Ohio - A second bicyclist has died from a fatal motor vehicle crash, according to the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner's Office.

The Medical Examiner reported James Lambert, 52, of Cuyahoga Falls, was taken to Marymount Hospital from Snowville Road after being one of five bicyclists that were hit by a truck on Sept. 17. He was then transferred via Life Flight to MetroHealth Medical Center. He was pronounced dead Thursday.

Matthew Billings, a 33-year-old bicyclist from North Canton, died instantly from his injuries from the crash.

Shortly after 7 p.m. Sept. 17, Billings and Lambert were traveling east down Snowville Road with fellow riders from the Akron Bike Club. The driver of a pick-up truck, traveling in the oncoming lane, made a left turn onto Dewey Road, and collided with the group of riders.

The driver of the truck remained at the scene and cooperated with police. So far, no charges have been filed and the drivers' name has not been released.
According to the Ohio State Highway Patrol, there have been 82 fatal non-motorist crashes through the end of August, which includes groups like pedestrians and bicyclists. At the same time in 2014, there had been 53.

Truck Driver Facing Charges in Brecksville Cyclist Crash
Posted By Eric Sandy on Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 10:52 AM

Timothy Wolf, 42, will be arraigned Wednesday morning on two counts of vehicular homicide and one count of willful or wanton disregard of public safety in connection with a Sept. 17 crash in Brecksville. Wolf was driving west on Snowville Road, and five cyclists were riding east on Snowville. When Wolf attempted to turn left onto Dewey Road, he struck the cyclists.

North Canton resident Matthew Billings, 33, died at the scene. Cuyahoga Falls resident Jim Lambert, 52, died Sept. 25. The three other riders were injured, as well.

The crash became a flashpoint in the ongoing conversation about driver-cyclist safety and accountability in Northeast Ohio. “I just want people to be aware that there’s other people on the road that have a right to be there too,” Maureen Billings, Matthew’s mother, told WEWS in an interview.

http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2015/09/29/truck-driver-facing-charges-in-brecksville-cyclist-crash

http://wkbn.com/2015/10/06/car-crashes-into-bicycle-closing-i-680-exit-ramp-in-youngstown/

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (WKBN) – A crash between a vehicle and a bicyclist Tuesday afternoon in Youngstown has closed off an exit ramp of Interstate 680.

The crash happened around 1:40 p.m. on Midlothian Boulevard between Interstate 680 and Lemoyne Ave. The crash has led police to close the southbound ramp of Interstate 680 to Midlothian Ave.

Police said that the vehicle involved fled the scene, but police later found it in the parking lot of a drug store on Youngstown-Poland Road. The driver did not seem to be in the car when police found it.

Medical personnel on scene did not immediately give an update on the condition of the cyclist, who appeared to be badly injured.

Video of the crash site at the link.

http://wkbn.com/2015/10/06/car-crashes-into-bicycle-closing-i-680-exit-ramp-in-youngstown/

Bicyclist killed in accident on Midlothian Blvd.

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (WKBN) -The Canfield Post of the Ohio State Highway Patrol has identified the bicyclist killed during a crash on Midlothian Blvd on Tuesday afternoon.

The bicyclist is identified as Daniel S. Krotky, 48, of Youngstown. He sustained fatal injuries after being struck head-on by a 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix.
The driver of the Grand Prix is 86-year-old Clydine Watson, of Struthers. She suffered minor injuries from the crash.

The crash happened at 1:18 p.m. near the I-680 bridge over Midlothian Blvd, leading police to close the southbound ramp from 680 to Midlothian.

According to a news release from State Highway Patrol, Krotky was traveling westbound in the eastbound lane of Midlothian on a Schwinn World Sport bicycle when he was struck by Watson, who was traveling eastbound in the same lane. He was thrown onto the roadway and was pronounced dead at St. Elizabeth Health Center in Youngstown.

Police said that the vehicle involved fled the scene, but police later found it in the parking lot of a drug store on Youngstown-Poland Road.

The crash is still under investigation, according to a news release from Ohio State Highway Patrol.

This year, there have been 18 people killed in crashes in Mahoning County.

CAMPYBOB said:
Video of the crash site at the link.

Bicyclist killed in accident on Midlothian Blvd.

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (WKBN) -The Canfield Post of the Ohio State Highway Patrol has identified the bicyclist killed during a crash on Midlothian Blvd on Tuesday afternoon.

The bicyclist is identified as Daniel S. Krotky, 48, of Youngstown. He sustained fatal injuries after being struck head-on by a 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix.
The driver of the Grand Prix is 86-year-old Clydine Watson, of Struthers. She suffered minor injuries from the crash.

The crash happened at 1:18 p.m. near the I-680 bridge over Midlothian Blvd, leading police to close the southbound ramp from 680 to Midlothian.

According to a news release from State Highway Patrol, Krotky was traveling westbound in the eastbound lane of Midlothian on a Schwinn World Sport bicycle when he was struck by Watson, who was traveling eastbound in the same lane. He was thrown onto the roadway and was pronounced dead at St. Elizabeth Health Center in Youngstown.

Police said that the vehicle involved fled the scene, but police later found it in the parking lot of a drug store on Youngstown-Poland Road.

The crash is still under investigation, according to a news release from Ohio State Highway Patrol.

This year, there have been 18 people killed in crashes in Mahoning County.
86 year old hit and run, and a cyclist riding on the wrong side of the road. Senility meets stupidity, head on.

The only thing that would have made it more insane is if the senile driver was a stoned and drunk bishop from the local snake-handling church.

Witnesses said the cyclist's body was 20 to 30 feet above the planet after he hit the car's windshield. Not good.

I often see runners going with traffic (not good), but I only rarely see cyclists going against the flow of traffic.

On yesterday's ride I did see a father mowing his yard with a badass zero-turn mower..and a 3-5 year old boy riding on the space between the father's legs/feet. Talk about risky...